You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Island with Bear Grylls

Anybody been watching this ? Can't say I'm a fan of Bear Grylls, a very poor man's Ray Mears imho, but this has sparked my interest.

The young long haired (going bald), Manc lad; Jesus Christ, whinge whinge whinge whinge fucking whinge. If I was starving on that Island I would have killed that soft get already and used his hacked up torso as fish bait.

What an utterly tragic, horrible, disasterous, felching, whining fucking ring piece.

• Upvote 1

I've been watching this as well. I was surprised how difficult it was for them all with killing the Cayman. I'm sure when you've to do it it's not too easy, but by the looks of it they where famished, so I'd like to think I could kill the Cayman without a second thought.

As for the Manc. Yep, a whingy little bitch.

Totally agree LFD. a right pair of twats they are.

That's the major flaw that I find in most reality tv shows, and even in entertainment more widely; I find most of the protagonists so fucking unlikeable and annoying; I want these fuckers to fail and ultimately die.

Especially those two twats.

Draw a circle in the sand, give em a stick each, two men enter one man leaves.

Bear Grylls rubbishes claims his new show is sexist as 13 men take to a desert island to test their survival skills

It is the show that has stirred up controversy before it's even hit our screens, with TV's favourite adventurer accused of sexism for The Island with Bear Grylls.

But the TV explorer has defended the survival programme, which will drop 13 men on a desert island to see how they survive for a month - and has even said he'd consider a female version.

The former SAS reservist said he would love to conduct a study what it means to be a modern woman and claimed this latest show had to be an all-male cast because it was a study specifically into modern masculinity.

He told MailOnline Travel: 'This show was very much a study of modern masculinity so it was obviously going to be an all-male cast, it would have been crazy to have it any other way but it's nothing to do with who is the stronger sex, men or women.'

The show will see 13 hardy souls trying to survive on a desert island in the Pacific using just their instincts and ingenuity. They will be given cameras to film themselves and have no further interaction with Bear and the team, who will be watching the footage form elsewhere.

So as the hapless team got underway and struggled with even the most basic tasks, didn't that frustrate the experienced adventurer?

'There were quite a few times when it was frustrating watching the footage, ' he admits.

'Because they would go to all this effort for example to try and get an ember to light a fire but I could see they had no tinder, so they would get an ember and had nothing to put it in so I was almost shouting at the footage.'

But he claims his predominant feeling was one of respect and pride for the men who took themselves out of their comfort zone to try and battle the elements.

'There are very few people in modern Briton who go through that sort of hunger, that intense missing f home, missing of food, basic things like water and not having a blanket over them at night,' Bear explains.

article-0-1D70D7A200000578-440_634x408.j

But he believes survival skills are still extremely important and could soon become a lost art in Britain.

'For thousands of years man has known how to survive and we've developed incredible skills all of these sort of skills its a tragedy if in a generation we lose them all and all you can do is this on your Blackberry.'

The television programme, which starts on Channel 4 on Monday May 5 at 9pm, was initially criticised for its focus on men and survival, instead of also testing women's skills.

Ruth England, who has made back-to-nature shows on the Discovery Channel – including presenting the series Man, Woman Wild – called the concept is ‘laughable’.

‘The basic tenets of survival are the same, regardless of your genitals – and women cope very well,’ she told The Independent.

‘I’m disappointed in Channel 4’s decision, but not wholly surprised.

‘The sheer amount of different types of terrain that I have survived in means I have more primitive survival experience than most soldiers.

Yet I still get internet trolls telling me to get back in the kitchen.’

Her comments were echoed by explorer Sarah Outen, who took to Twitter to express her frustration at The Island Of Lost Blokes.

Surprise, surprise,’ she tweeted. ‘An adventure show of blokes and beards.’

‘Yawn, yawn, yawn. Where are the women?’

But the women could soon have their way if Bear follows through on his idea about a show focusing on modern femininity.

The broadcaster was also quick to defend The Island, saying that it focuses specifically on the modern man's ability to cope with difficult conditions - and assesses whether he is more or less capable of dealing with adversity than his ancestors.

'The series sets out to examine modern masculinity and how traditional skills and ideas of manhood have changed over generations,' a spokesman for Channel 4 said.

'For that reason men were invited to take part in the series to be stripped of modern day comforts and their skills put to test.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2615687/Bear-Grylls-rubbishes-sexist-claims-new-survival-The-Island.html

Ruth England, who has made back-to-nature shows on the Discovery Channel – including presenting the series Man, Woman Wild – called the concept is ‘laughable’.

‘The basic tenets of survival are the same, regardless of your genitals – and women cope very well,’ she told The Independent.

‘I’m disappointed in Channel 4’s decision, but not wholly surprised.

‘The sheer amount of different types of terrain that I have survived in means I have more primitive survival experience than most soldiers.

Yet I still get internet trolls telling me to get back in the kitchen.’

Her comments were echoed by explorer Sarah Outen, who took to Twitter to express her frustration at The Island Of Lost Blokes.

Surprise, surprise,’ she tweeted. ‘An adventure show of blokes and beards.’

‘Yawn, yawn, yawn. Where are the women?

Here's an idea. Pour yourselves a large mug of Shut The Fuck Up and go and make your own woman-centric survival programmes, if you feel so strongly about it.

• Upvote 1

Also enjoying this so far, looks bloody tough TBF.

There's also a similar program on Discovery on Sunday nights 'Marooned with Ed Stafford' he basically gets dropped off in remote locations, bollocko naked with only a camera and has to prove he could thrive in that environment. He's basically like Bear Grylls but not a total cock end.

• Upvote 1

Here's an idea. Pour yourselves a large mug of Shut The Fuck Up and go and make your own woman-centric survival programmes, if you feel so strongly about it.

Always the fucking same though isn't it. Make a show for blokes, with blokes in it, and its "oh my word, overgrown kids, men are crap etc."

Make a program for women with no men in it and its a triumph for womankind.

Women wouldn't last 5 minutes on that island, they'd all be passing out under the shade like that Mancunian guy after failing to start a fire for two days, without food and water. Then you'd have to read a daily mail article about how cruel the whole barbaric show is. Men are the hunter gatherers, blame nature, not us, we didn't design it that way.

I like the black guy though, and all of the lad's that started the fire on the 2nd day. Manc and old boy crying about his mum on the 2nd day can do one though. The tattoo of the star of david merged with a swastika as well, what the fuck was going on there?

• Upvote 1

Does anyone remember that show last man standing? it was about 6 guys who would compete against each other in some of the hardest challenges in the world, with only one winner who was crowned "last man standing". Well they did a last woman standing as well and it kind of reminds me of this. It was just basically a load of woman crying on rotation, refusing to do tasks, pulling out at the drop of a hat, and bitching about each other non stop. It made a mockery of the whole series, after the previous two, which were brilliant.

That manc is a woman

That old ex bizzie lfd posted pisses me off too trying to be the general. Sad power tripping cunt

Fuck then two off and chick a few women in. When they eventually get shagged to death and eaten, blame ruth england

• Upvote 1