You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next season - What position will you be fine with?

Acid

84 members have voted

1. 1. What position would you be happy to finish next season?

Considering the massive leap from 7th to 2nd, is it a given yet, that we will be in the same sort of area next season? Will Utd be back up there? Arsenal should, City and Chelsea will.

Choose the positions in the table you would be happy to finish next season. 

Everyone should pick 1st obviously, I'm just curious to gauge how many places we could finish and you would still be fine with, considering how far we have jumped this year. I'm not sure it's right just yet, to assume we will be fighting for the title right until the end again.

Personally, we've done very well this season obviously, but I'm not convinced we're back yet. Suarez and Sturridge have done very very well, but if we lost Suarez this summer, or they had bad luck with injuries next season, there's every chance we won't score 101 league goals again. Not to mention the problems we have at the back, if they continue...

I would be happy to remain in the champions league. Title race would be a bonus, but we have work to do before we can think about that.

First would be magic, but anything can happen over a season. However with our forthcoming summer investment in the squad then CL has to be the minimum target. We don't want to repeat the season after we last came second.

I'd be happy with top four again. The key in the next couple of years is to cement our place back amongst the elite. As much as we don't want to become Arsenal, happy with just being around the big boys, worse would be to emulate Spurs, yo-yoing and ultimately ending up out of the top four.

I'd be happy with top four again. The key in the next couple of years is to cement our place back amongst the elite. As much as we don't want to become Arsenal, happy with just being around the big boys, worse would be to emulate Spurs, yo-yoing and ultimately ending up out of the top four.

I agree with this, next seasons target should be to consolidate our place in the top four.We will have more games to cope with and teams will improve so that is a fair target for the season.

Has to be fourth. As good as we were this season three of our top 4 rivals for fourth changed manager which we benefitted from in some respects.

A good summer of transfers and consolidating our position as a top 4 club with progress in the cups.

I'd accept Chelsea and City being above us. They operate on a different financial level, and already have much better squads.

Arsenal, United, and Tottenham all have the potential to improve, but I'd be surprised if more than one of them finished above us.

So, top four, last 8/16 of the Champions League, and a better showing in at least one of the domestic cup competitions. 3rd and a trophy would represent another good season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Consolidate top four and keep building. Good run in the CL. Try for the title. It'll be tough, and bringing in more games makes it harder, so we might take a step back whilst taking two forward. 

We've had a fantastic season this year, played some unbelievably good football and have shown just what we're capable of. Just think how well we've played over the past 18 months or so. We can win this next year, and whilst I'd be satisfied with a top four finish, the only reason to take part in this competition is to win it, so that's what I want us to do!

I'd accept Chelsea and City being above us. They operate on a different financial level, and already have much better squads.

Arsenal, United, and Tottenham all have the potential to improve, but I'd be surprised if more than one of them finished above us.

So, top four, last 8/16 of the Champions League, and a better showing in at least one of the domestic cup competitions. 3rd and a trophy would represent another good season.

Agree with Jairzinho 100%.

We need CL due to the massive increase in TV money that will kick in from 2015 when BT take over the contract for showing English clubs, that money will be essential to help us compete with the financially doped clubs and both Arsenal and the Mancs who currently enjoy much bigger turnovers than us. It would be great to compete for the title again, but top four is a must to keep the club moving forward.

Shit question, it's all about context.

I'd accept another season of watching football like this, and in the CL, and still finishing 2nd. It's not the end result that keeps me watching, it's the ride.

Of course I'd love to win things, but I'm not going to set targets, we're just a fucking joy to watch.

While I can't wait for the Champions League, i really hope that we go all out for the league first and foremost. The likes of Man City can try and win both, but we certainly are not in a position to. It would be terrible to get to the quarter finals of the Champions League and then be in a fight to get in the top 4. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be arsed with it, but if the choice was having a fully fit team for Hull away or Besitkas at home, I know which I'd rather us to prioritise.

We have shown this season that we CAN win the title, as hard as it will always be.

People say City will be stronger, but realistically their starting line up can't get much better. Okay, they could get Messi or Ronaldo etc but that probably won't happen. They can only slightly improve their starting lineup, because most of it is world class anyway. Hart can be easilly bettered but they will be trying to add more English players rather than replacing them. Their squad will be bettered with more Negredos etc but you can only have so many really top players on your bench before they start to get pissed off.

Chelsea will make real improvements to their attack, but Hazard is likely to leave. John Terry might be a mong and Fat Frank might be at least 3 years past it, but their influence will be missed around their squad if they depart. To me, Ashley Cole is another absolute knobhead (unless he comes here when he's a top fella who's misunderstood by the media) but he's another who has got big match experience as he showed a few weeks back. They will miss him. I don't doubt that Maureen will have Chelsea in the hunt, but they have a huge summer ahead.

Arsenal are Arsenal. While I rate Wenger for his past achievements, he is the modern day Bill Nicholson. A great manager loved by the Arsenal fans but he has stayed too long and is holding them back because he is too stubborn to realise that they need a Mascherano or Gattuso type in midfield and a strong cynical centre half to give them a tough core. That's been a problem for donkey's years and they haven't acted on it. They will continue to be chasing 4th spot next season.

United will massively improve next season if they get Van Gaal. He's a great manager and if they bring in guys like Shaw etc they will be a big threat. They will benefit from a long rest between games as well. However, alot depends on what goes on behind the scenes. Van Gaal has a massive ego and if he isn't afforded total control, he will start acting the bollox. I remain unconvinced that Fergie, Charlton and the class of 92 can step aside like they should. They still face an uncertain future, because if the next appointment goes wrong, they are turning into a modern day Liverpool of the 90s.

Spurs have a squad of very good players, but Timmy is a clown. I've no doubt that despite that they are good enough to challenge for 4th, but I think they'll finish 6th or 7th unless they get a new manager.

Everton will get better next season, once they don't sell their best players. I do believe that Everton are always likely to sell and while their academy is very good and they have a top manager in Martinez, they will never move forward if they have to sell a Barkley or a Coleman. I still expect them to have a good season and if they keep everyone I think they could make the Champions League.

For me, if we came 3rd and were within about 5 points of winning the league, I'd be quite happy. Obviously, I would love us to win the league, but if there was a steady improvement next season, I'd be happy and would look forward to a proper go at the title in 2015/16. What we can't do is fall to 5th or worse.

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

Top 3 for me, 4th (as our neighbours discovered) is not a guarantee of CL football and could cause problems convincing new signings and cause itchy feet. 

It's going to be a more difficult season next season because quite a few teams will park the bus against us, instead of playing football against us. Plus we will have CL football to contend with. 

On the plus side I hope we will have increased the squad and shifted some of the poorer performers. The owners simply have to back Rodgers to the hilt for next season and he's done wonders with what he had. 

Consolidating top 4 but as opposed to Arsenal I don't want us to have that seen as success year on year...... Only because we have been away from the top table for a while is it fair to say "Let's hope we make the Top 4" next season.

By doing so though we should then be re-established as a club who can attract the best players and offer them European Cup football, and from there we need to kick on and be putting in a title bid.... I don't buy the we "we can't compete" argument - yes City and Chelsea spend their windfalls, but even with those windfalls and us not having a pot to piss in we have shown we can compete, we have a chance to improve our financial situation and by doing so that will help us compete more.

As for our rivals - people seem to think that Man Utd will suddenly be back in the argument with a new manager and a pile of money - it isn't that easy, they will be helped in terms of the new manager getting his ideas across on the training ground with a light schedule like we have had this year - but new ideas and ways of working take time to come off. They have had a season of turmoil and are in a mess after their disastrous (for them, great for us to watch) appointment of Moyes and aren't even trying to rebuild now from the Ferguson time - it's an even bigger mess after a year of turmoil.

New players in bulk which is what they need don't just all hit the ground running in different leagues, different countries etc - so for me they have a big rebuilding job on and won't be hugely improved even on this season just gone.

Arsenal could be the big improvers, they seem to have a solid financial base now with cash flowing and they are only a couple of players short of having a very complete squad IMO - what they have in quality though is often more than let down by what they don't have mentally....

Chelsea are a busted flush IMO, or more to the point Shitcoat is, he has been peddling his "we aren't ready" "we need more" shite all season - he spent £105m last season.... That is £105m on a squad that finished 3rd and won a European trophy the previous year - to guide them to a 3rd place finish and no silverware whilst employing the most shithouse tactics possible. I also believe that Shitcoat won't last next season there and more upheaval will reign there.

Spurs are Spurs and I can see them doing what they always do - flatter to deceive.

The Bitters won't be as good next year.

Which leaves City - almost certain Champions again IMO, they have the money, they have a very good manager and the most stability at present and they are the team to beat again.

Will be interesting to see how much money is blown on players who have a half decent World Cup - out of desperation by the likes of Utd, Chelsea, Spurs - hopefully we don't fall into that trap - hopefully we know who we want and will get them early...

Another factor on next season is the fact the World Cup really does have an impact on pre-season and the work that clubs can do with their players, a huge disadvantage for teams who are bringing in new players in high numbers - we probably fall into that category along with Man Utd, but where it really hurts is where a new manager is in place as he simply does not get the time with his full squad what with players involved in latter stages, their holidays etc.

Accidently voted 5th, was meant to be 4th, think we will struggle with midweek Champ League games, not unless we add considerable maount of quality depth to squad.

Let's not forget, there's only 6 CL matchdays in the group stage, and 3 of them are at home. We can play the kids in the League Cup, the FA Cup doesn't start until January, so it isn't a massive ask.

The big challenge is maintaining intensity from March to May.

But this is why we keep the ball, so we don't have to run around like idiots for 90 minutes in each game.

• Upvote 1

I have voted 3rd, but the context has to be right. 3rd means guaranteed CL without the quals and I am delighted we have that and I want that again. Obviously coming so close this season has meant the thought of first is still there, and I do think we can do it, but I would be happy if we are in the mix at the end next year, having had a decent CL run. I just hope we can get a squad that allows us options of the bench, as that has really hampered us this year.

Would love to say 1st but sadly I see Man City retaining.

Every team has injuries but how many of the 38 games did their spine of Kompany-Toure-Aguerro play together.

I don't think Mourinho will be Chelsea manager this time next year, for the sole reason of him being a cunt and he cant shine of being an ubber cunt when he is surrounded by, cunts.

I do not fear Arsenal, Tottenham (with or without Rafa), Everton or United. But I tell you, they fear us. That is what makes next season difficult for us, we must break down the walls that the teams will put in front of us. Henderson, Coutinho and Allen should practice long range shooting again and again and again this summer.

Our first year back at the CL stage, final 16 or 8 will be great especially if we can show off our style of football, plenty of players will want to join us.

This season, they made us dream, can they do it again?

I'd be delighted if we can be competitive with Chelsea and City again next season right to the end.

I guess by definition that means 'worst case' 3rd and beyond that who knows?

I think we have a real opportunity now to steal a march on Arsenal and United so I'd be a bit disappointed should either of those finish above us next season,

We dropped points in 12 games this year. I think next year we'll fight a lot harder to turn those draws into wins and losses into draws. Not that we didn't try this season,but now we've experience and aspirations of going for the title,that little extra motivation could glean the 4-6 extra points that would've been invaluable this year.