You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

End of Season question: Do you consider this season a success?

WhiskeyJar

End of Season question  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider this season a success?

I posted this in the MF already but it's worth a look here too.

---

This is our record against the other teams this season. I've collated an aggregate score against each side and treated the games like two-legged cup ties where away goals can come into play.

Man City..........W 1...D 0...L 1...F 4...A 4...Pts 3...Agg 4-4 (City win on away goals)

Chelsea...........W 0...D 0...L 2...F 1...A 4...Pts 0...Agg 1-4

Arsenal............W 1...D 0...L 1...F 5...A 3...Pts 3...Agg 5-3

Everton............W 1...D 1...L 0...F 7...A 3...Pts 4...Agg 7-3

Tottenham.......W 2...D 0...L 0...F 9...A 0...Pts 6...Agg 9-0

Man Utd...........W 2...D 0...L 0...F 4...A 0...Pts 6...Agg 4-0

Southampton...W 1...D 0...L 1...F 3...A 1...Pts 3...Agg 3-1

Stoke...............W 2...D 0...L 0...F 6...A 3...Pts 6...Agg 6-3

Newcastle........W 1...D 1...L 0...F 4...A 3...Pts 4...Agg 4-3

C Palace..........W 1...D 1...L 0...F 6...A 4...Pts 4...Agg 6-4

Swansea..........W 1...D 1...L 0...F 6...A 5...Pts 4 ...Agg 6-5

West Ham........W 2...D 0...L 0...F 6...A 2...Pts 6...Agg 6-2

Sunderland......W 2...D 0...L 0...F 5...A 2...Pts 6...Agg 5-2

Aston Villa........W 1...D 1...L 0...F 3...A 2...Pts 4...Agg 3-2

Hull...................W 1...D 0...L 1...F 3...A 3...Pts 3...Agg 3-3 (Liverpool win on away goals)

West Brom.......W 1...D 1...L 0...F 5...A 2...Pts 4...Agg 5-2

Norwich............W 2...D 0...L 0...F 8...A 3...Pts 6...Agg 8-3

Fulham............W 2...D 0...L 0...F 7...A 2...Pts 6...Agg 7-2

Cardiff.............W 2...D 0...L 0...F 9...A 4...Pts 6...Agg 9-4

---

Only Man City and Chelsea got the better of us overall. Only Spurs and Man Utd failed to score against us at all, and Southampton were the only side to register just a single goal against us - all the other sides who scored against us got at least 2 goals. Our last 1-0 victory was against Man Utd when it was the third of three consecutive 1-0 victories with which we opened this season. We failed to score in only 3 games all season, which were the home defeats to Southampton and Chelsea and the away defeat at Arsenal.

• Upvote 1

I voted no but think it's a difficult question.

We by far exceeded all expectations and hopefully we are on the road to success but take away the circumstances leading into the season and I don't see how you could argue that this was more successful than 2009 as an example.  It was certainly more entertaining but when you look back on this in 20 years time the truth is we didn't win anything.

Put it into perspective against the recent background and it was a huge improvement but in perspective against the last 50 then it was just a footnote with some good memories.

Overall, I was happy with the season but you need trophies to be successful.

Considering it was the club's primary objective to finish in the top 4 of course it's been a success. We didn't win anything though and that's something we need to sort next season. Fantastic season, played some amazing football, pissed our primary objective. Bring on next year.

• Upvote 1

I thought we'd finish fifth, and be lucky to be in with a sniff of fourth.

Honestly, before this season I was starting to tire of modern football. Something was feeling disconnected with the game and ultimately even this club. This season blew away those cobwebs and right now, all I can think of is CL nights and what Rodgers might be able to do with a better pedigree of player.

The season's been a success. We've achieved our aim of CL qualification, overshot that by going straight into the group stage, and done so by playing a style of football that's been noted throughout Europe. 

We were positive, rode our luck, with third and fourth choice fullbacks, kids and a merry-go-round of centre back pairings, all the while playing the kind of football that - were I a neutral - I'd be cheering on.

• Upvote 1

Yes, of course.

Admittedly, there are questions to be asked - Rodgers still not showing any evidence that he's capable of organising a defence being the main one - but unless we slip straight out of the top four next season, I'll remain confident that he's the man to lead us to greater things.

Even if we finish outside the top four next season I would want Rodgers to stay, hes shown what's hes capable of and I want him to be given years to build a team in his image.

We progressed, but we weren't successful, except if the limit of success was to achieve top 4 in the league. I've enjoyed this season more than any other in the last 25 years, but we were not successful if measured by the criteria we used in the 70/80s. You know, actually winning stuff.

That's the point, though, comparing us now to when we were in our pomp is pointless. The two situations are chalk and cheese. 

Success is all relative. And this season is a resounding success because we achieved what was set out at the start of the season. That is what it boils down to for me.

Been a great season because we have been up there challenging all season.

As a fan you can't ask for more, every game has meant something and the excitement has not vanished.

But its not been a success because for all the excitement we finished the season empty handed and City are the ones who can brag about being champions.

We need to hope we can keep our core and do better next season.

That's the point, though, comparing us now to when we were in our pomp is pointless. The two situations are chalk and cheese. 

Success is all relative. And this season is a resounding success because we achieved what was set out at the start of the season. That is what it boils down to for me.

That's fine Robbie, but I'm afraid success isn't relative when you are in a sport where you have winners and losers.  Sunderland may say they've been successful as they've avoided the drop, but to me that's Taff's Tavern speak.  I would hope that our objective should always be to win any competition we enter.  Otherwise, what is the point?  

Liverpool's objectives should always be to win.  To finish on top.  You're talking about expectations.  Meeting, or exceeding expectations, is not success, unless you are expecting to win the competition you're in.  

We overachieved in terms of expectations no doubt, but we were not successful.  I'm not interested in how other teams gauge success.

• Upvote 7

We are Liverpool, we exist to win things.

We won nothing, and the only place that's a success is Taff's Tavern.

Quoting something from right at the start of this thread but I think there's a lot to be said for this.

We all mock the mural at Taff's Tavern but the premise of it was basically that Moyes achieved more than was expected and as a result was successful despite the lack of trophies. Is it not a little two faced to say that this season was successful because we did better than expected while mocking that sign?

Success for me would have been a day out on the beer today and a trophy parade to rival the one I watched on a television screen in an Istanbul bar.  Instead, I've been in work thinking about what might have been and listening to tedious 'jokes' from Blues and Mancs.

Personally, I think there's a difference between a season I would have been happy with back in August and one that is successful especially considering how close we were to that trophy.  Until we eventually bring it home I think my over-riding emotion when thinking of this season will be frustration despite the great days we had along the way.

• Upvote 2

That's fine Robbie, but I'm afraid success isn't relative when you are in a sport where you have winners and losers.  Sunderland may say they've been successful as they've avoided the drop, but to me that's Taff's Tavern speak.  I would hope that our objective should always be to win any competition we enter.  Otherwise, what is the point?  

Liverpool's objectives should always be to win.  To finish on top.  You're talking about expectations.  Meeting, or exceeding expectations, is not success, unless you are expecting to win the competition you're in.  

We overachieved in terms of expectations no doubt, but we were not successful.  I'm not interested in how other teams gauge success.

Didn't see this before I started putting together my last post but pretty much sums up what I was trying to say.

Quoting something from right at the start of this thread but I think there's a lot to be said for this.

We all mock the mural at Taff's Tavern but the premise of it was basically that Moyes achieved more than was expected and as a result was successful despite the lack of trophies. Is it not a little two faced to say that this season was successful because we did better than expected while mocking that sign?

Success for me would have been a day out on the beer today and a trophy parade to rival the one I watched on a television screen in an Istanbul bar.  Instead, I've been in work thinking about what might have been and listening to tedious 'jokes' from Blues and Mancs.

Personally, I think there's a difference between a season I would have been happy with back in August and one that is successful especially considering how close we were to that trophy.  Until we eventually bring it home I think my over-riding emotion when thinking of this season will be frustration despite the great days we had along the way.

Yeah, agree with all of this.

I'm not saying this season wasn't enjoyable (until half way through the Chelsea match at least), or that we didn't meet out pre-season targets, or that we under-achieved.

However, that's all very different from success. Success is easy to distinguish, it's when you have something to show for your endeavours.

I am not old (35) but I do think a lot of the younger fans have never known the real success that I grew up with, which is why 100 goals and second place feels like success to them.

This season can be deemed a success despite ended trophy-less because we provided a highly credible title challenge and took matters into the final day. We fell short ultimately because of a lack of depth and experience as well as the same level of financial resources, but we only just fell short. The club is working behind the scenes to improve the club's infrastructure and enable the team to compete more consistently. It's not using the above as excuses.

There's a world of difference between that and the Taffs Tavern painting because that is celebrating TEN YEARS of relative mediocrity and one decent cup run. With that painting, the blueshite fans are saying that they are happy with their underdog status and it underlines their small club mentality where they're happy to blame us/Clattenburg/Collina/Thomas and whichever other scapegoat they see as responsible for why they aren't among Europe's elite. Meanwhile, their club have done almost fuck all to improve their infrastructure and I suspect they are reluctant to do this because it opens them up to another level of attention and criticism and takes away this underdog status that they cling to so readily.

Its a success. Champions league was the goal and we smashed it. We've done better than anybody expected and its the managers second season. Spend well. We cannot fuck around like the last few transfer windows, infact whoever does the actual transfer negotiating get to fuck you are shit and I don't like you very much.

Although Sturridge knows it could have been so much better, he also believes this campaign will not be a flash in the pan.

"I know we set the target of reaching the Champions League but I can't stand here and say I'm happy. I am gutted," said the England striker.

"I know we've gone from seventh to second but I am never happy coming second no matter what I'm playing, whether it's table tennis, cricket or whatever, I don't like losing.

"We're all hungry for success and the fans deserve success. They've given us great support from the first minute to the last and I apologise to them for not winning the Premier League.

"I'll do everything in my power, just like my team-mates will, to try to ensure we do that for them next season. I believe we can.

"People can make excuses about how we had an advantage because we weren't in Europe this season but I know we will be contenders again next season.

"We will take the positives from this season and learn from the negatives. This experience will stand us in good stead for next season. I believe we will challenge.

"Next season will be a big year for us and we're looking forward to that already."

After 21 goals this season it was no surprise to see Sturridge selected in Roy Hodgson's World Cup squad and the 24-year-old hopes to be able to take his good form to Brazil.

"It's a very big summer ahead," he said. "I'm really looking forward to going to Brazil and trying to do well. I'm hungry to do well. I want to bring England some success."

Dear Coro, winning the League Cup, our first trophy for many years was a success.

Scoring over 100 goals, surpassing the manager's objective of 2 points a game and returning to the elite of European football are successful achievements.

Scoring over 100 goals, surpassing the manager's objective of 2 points a game and returning to the elite of European football are successful achievements.

There you go. Spot on. Normally into a 1000 pages of transfer posts by now. We've had other shit to deal with. 

We will win the league next season,