You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

End of Season question: Do you consider this season a success?

WhiskeyJar

End of Season question  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider this season a success?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Success? Nah, probably not in the traditional way; that's winning things. Incredible progress though, so that's mission complete in that regard. We're building. Another step on the road to success. Great season. Superb job by all involved. Need to get it right in the summer and take another step or four forward. Can't wait to be back in the CL.

We need a decent squad of 18-20 players to do well in the cups and we've basically played the whole season with 14 players. Even against palace the other night some players looked completely fucked mentally and physically.

We need four or five players who are going to challenge for a starting place and some of the youth players to come through to play in the League/FA Cup. If we only add a couple of players we may struggle.

This season has been a success because we are perceived as a threat again and people are worried about us.

Not a successful season, no.

You can't be successful when you don't win anything and you fuck it up big time and lose the title like that.

But we have certainly improved. Keep in mind though that 4 of our rivals were in a transitional season. We scored more goals than any other Liverpool side the past.. I can't recall... Is it at least 35-40 years? But we also conceded more goals than any other Liverpool side in the Premier League era and beyond.

A bittersweet taste. Mostly bitter because of the way we lost the title.

• Upvote 1

The aim was CL qualification. Ergo its been a successful campaign. Fuck y'all who disagree with that.

Now, next season the bar will be set higher and definitely think we need to add a trophy along with top 4 again. We don't want to become an Arsenal.

It isn’t only about the league though, it is also about the cups. We went out of the cups early, so though we did way better than expected in the league, we didn’t do as well as hoped in the cups. Winning trophies to me is what constitutes success. Perhaps I just put something else into the word success than others.

We got knocked out of the fa cup when Webb failed to give one of the most blatant penalties you will see. We were well on top at that point and would have probably gone on to win the game. You can't lay blame at the manager/players for the dreadful incompetence of a referee.

We got knocked out of the fa cup when Webb failed to give one of the most blatant penalties you will see. We were well on top at that point and would have probably gone on to win the game. You can't lay blame at the manager/players for the dreadful incompetence of a referee.

I didn’t mention anything about blame. You did.

Unequivocally, yes.

Rodgers has navigated new territory for him, and come through. Europa Cup football would have been a step forwards, instead we qualified for the CL league stages and finished as runners up.

I am enjoying out moment in the sun, because I think that next season is likely to be much harder work.

We can't complain about refs this season, I cannot remember a season when we won as many favourable decisions, and avoided adverse ones.

We progressed, but we weren't successful, except if the limit of success was to achieve top 4 in the league. I've enjoyed this season more than any other in the last 25 years, but we were not successful if measured by the criteria we used in the 70/80s. You know, actually winning stuff.

1 fucking defeat in 2014 does not constitute 'fucking up' or 'blowing it'

Even after we beat the lottery winners we still needed ten points from 4 games to win it. A stiff ask which if a team replicated over a season would work out to 95 pts. The team who won it did so by having to win 5 games on the bounce too.

OK its fucking heartbreaking to be that close to winning it, but the run we had to put together to even get that close was incredible and the sort that is rarely seen. 1 defeat at the worst time is sickening and so is drawing when 3 up with ten or so to go - but when put into the context of the run since the turn of the year the fact is we had an unbelievable run 2nd half of the season.

I count success in winning the league firstly, so in that respect the season wasn't quite a success - but you also have to look at the wider picture in terms of where we were and where we are and where we might be going. By that measure the season was frigging boss!

• Upvote 2

This season have taken us a giant step forward on the road to being a force again in English and European football. With the squad we had to come second, and taking the title race to the last day of the season, is a massive achievement. And makes the fundament for taking further steps in the summer window and next season. We have fought our way back, against the odds no question, and that have to be a success in my eyes. Next season will be at least as difficult, no doubt, but this season have made me believe we now have the key elements in place to keep improving and building this club further.

• Upvote 1

of course. we achieved our objective of getting back in CL. We ended up 2nd when the most we hoped for was 4th.

theres a lot of disappointment because we could and should have actually won the league and not winning it makes it feel like we ve failed but we ve over achieved really. no one in their wildest dreams would have thought we d get this close.

the trouble or the exciting thing now is what will the expectations be next year?

Frank_Booth.jpg

Not success, probably the wrong word, which is why i wont vote.

Huge progression is what we have had, pride in the team and optimism for future seasons which we have'nt had for a while. Rodgers has done a very good job this season and developed some of the younger players exceptionally well.

Next season with increased expectation and champions league to navigate will be a huge test of his ability. He also has to learn from games like Chelsea (h) and Palace(a).

If he can get the balance right next season and get the transfer business right in the summer, then hopefully the success will soon follow. Onwards and upwards.

He failed as usual by opening his gob before the Chelsea game.

just reading a bit of his first biography tall dark and hansen where he is slagging off united for saying this year is our year and how we never open our mouths about winning until its won.

how things have changed and how similar liverpool and united are.

I don't have the words to adequately express how I feel but I am very proud of the way the club has played and what it has acheived this season. This season will live long in our memories. But I am also heartbroken and gutted. So if this is success then it doesn't feel that great although targets have been acheived and all that.

Not success, probably the wrong word, which is why i wont vote.

Huge progression is what we have had, pride in the team and optimism for future seasons which we have'nt had for a while. Rodgers has done a very good job this season and developed some of the younger players exceptionally well.

Next season with increased expectation and champions league to navigate will be a huge test of his ability. He also has to learn from games like Chelsea (h) and Palace(a).

If he can get the balance right next season and get the transfer business right in the summer, then hopefully the success will soon follow. Onwards and upwards.

Top post. I hope that the notion of success - winning trophies, starting with the league, has reentered our collective thoughts. This team made great progress in that direction and everyone involved deserves credit.

It wasn't successful, because we didn't win anything. It was encouraging, however. I think next season will be more difficult, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us finish lower. Rodgers needs to sort out the defense because while we can pile on the goals, sides still don't fear us because they know we can be found out at the back by almost anyone. This will make winning cups difficult, where being able to get a lead and then shut the game down is invaluable. We need a swag of better players, too.