You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

End of Season question: Do you consider this season a success?

WhiskeyJar

End of Season question  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider this season a success?

Yes, of course.

Admittedly, there are questions to be asked - Rodgers still not showing any evidence that he's capable of organising a defence being the main one - but unless we slip straight out of the top four next season, I'll remain confident that he's the man to lead us to greater things.

of course. we achieved our objective of getting back in CL. We ended up 2nd when the most we hoped for was 4th.

theres a lot of disappointment because we could and should have actually won the league and not winning it makes it feel like we ve failed but we ve over achieved really. no one in their wildest dreams would have thought we d get this close.

the trouble or the exciting thing now is what will the expectations be next year?

Head and heart question. 

Head - of course. To go from mid-table nothingness to 2nd, and within a stud length of winning the League, scoring 101 goals in the process, and seeing a number of players develop in a way that has been absent going all the way back to Houllier, has been a joy. Back in the European Cup is great - been too long. Debrecen feels (and is) a long, long time ago. 

Heart - broken. Not sure I will recover from the denouement. 

Can I season be defined by its heart-breaking conclusion? One for the C&W songwriters that. 

I'd take it over anyone else's season though. Maybe City's at a push...

Absolutely. Anyone saying no is making a purely emotional statement, albeit an understandable one at that.

Our goal was top 4 and we finished top 2, above a club with Chelsea's squad and finances which is remarkable. We're back in the champions league following a long absence and Europe is talking about us again. 

Our players have come on leaps and bounds too, Sterling started the season slow but he'll be a beast from day one next season and, god willing, this season will also have convinced Suarez to stay.

It's like having an ambition to shag a 7/10 attractive bird from your local pub but you turn up at her house to find Katy Perry bent over, drunk and feeling horny. You start plugging away and just as you're about to cum the police come in, drag you away and throw you in the gutter. You walk home feeling understandably miffed but when the dust settles you'll realise you had a wild ride beyond your expectations.

• Upvote 5

There are two answers.  In terms of our initial objective, yes it was a success.  Once it became clear around about February time that we had a great chance of winning the league then the original objective changed, and we came up just short.  There's no shame in that, though.  It won't be the last time a trophy slips from a team's grasp.  

That's the great thing about sport.  You always get another chance.  Maybe this time next year we'll be celebrating a more ruthless and clinical Liverpool, one that didn't throw it away... 

• Upvote 1

We are Liverpool, we exist to win things.

We won nothing, and the only place that's a success is Taff's Tavern.

Agree with this. We needed to have won something for this to be a successful year. We played extremely well, much better than my expectation at least. Was a great ride for us, but wasn’t a successful one, at least not imo.

Agree with this. We needed to have won something for this to be a successful year. We played extremely well, much better than my expectation at least. Was a great ride for us, but wasn’t a successful one, at least not imo.

The aim of this season was to get back into the Champions League. We've managed that with games to spare.

When you achieve your objective it's usually called a success.

• Upvote 1

What's success though? I agree about winning things but look at what modern football fans have been conditioned to value. Nobody is even arsed about the FA cup these days let alone the league cup, the Europa league is perceived as an inconvenience, and everyone rationalises that if you're not owned by a billionaire or run by Ferguson then you're not going to win the league, we very, very nearly did. I'd love to see Liverpool win trophies but sad as it is, we exist in the same netherworld as arsenal these days, it's all about treading water and trying to maintain our reputation and status as a global football player long enough to hopefully cobble some kind of miracle together. From that point of view, it's been a success.

I don't subscribe to the view we blew the league either. We didn't win it for the reason every other club didn't win it - they didn't have a good enough squad. When we lost key players or they were tired or out of form, we had nothing in reserve, we quite simply didn't have the tools to finish the job - in fairness we didn't have the tools to start the job, the fact we got as far as we did was nothing short of a modern football miracle. If this side was called Aston Villa it'd have been lauded for years as a truly epic performance, because it's called Liverpool we're scorned, but make no mistake our name means fuck all - we had an inferior squad of declining quality and not a lot of money.

We finished 7th last year and I was hoping for a 4th or 5th will a good challenge for a European cup place. To finish 2nd and still be in with a shout of winning it on the final day of the season would have sounded ridiculous at the start of the season.

This season was all about building and improvement which we have done and more. I see SD's comment above and laugh. Was he expecting to win the league last August? I highly doubt it.

Next season will have greater pressures and expectations and my personal target will now be to win it. We have laid the foundations needed and now we have to build on them.

Three years ago, this club was on its knees and heading south but now we are back in the European Cup, challenging for the league, getting the ground expansion and financially secure. I'd say that is a great success.

Next stop... League champions.

• Upvote 1

We are Liverpool, we exist to win things.

We won nothing, and the only place that's a success is Taff's Tavern.

chicken and egg

league cup and 7th or 8th or 4th - 4th every day of the week.

fa cup and 5th or 4th - 4th no question.

league cup and fa cup only mean something when they accompany CL qualification.

That we exist to win trophies is from another era

• Upvote 1

The aim of this season was to get back into the Champions League. We've managed that with games to spare.

When you achieve your objective it's usually called a success.

It isn’t only about the league though, it is also about the cups. We went out of the cups early, so though we did way better than expected in the league, we didn’t do as well as hoped in the cups. Winning trophies to me is what constitutes success. Perhaps I just put something else into the word success than others. 

• Upvote 1

We wanted CL footy to keep hold of Suarez and attract better quality players and we have it. Not only that but we have no qualifying matches either, which is a huge plus, especially as many returning players will be shattered after the WC and the heat of Brazil. That alone makes this season a successful one. A season where we have over achieved the goals we had set ourselves before the season had started.

And on top of that we have scored over 100 goals ! The whole of World Football has drooled over some of our awesome play this season. We have Rodgers for years to come, we have more top quality players lined up and we go into next season with more ways to hurt the opposition and with better players to defend our goal. 

The big downer is that we didn't do the near impossible and win the title this season. I'm not going to say it doesn't hurt deeply, but when you look at the resources available to our closest competitors and you also look at the form we have displayed just to put ourselves into a position to even challenge, and then you can put it into some kind of perspective.

I believe the title will come and more will follow. This is the beginning of something and not the end. We are back and we will only get stronger.

It isn’t only about the league though, it is also about the cups. We went out of the cups early, so though we did way better than expected in the league, we didn’t do as well as hoped in the cups. Winning trophies to me is what constitutes success. Perhaps I just put something else into the word success than others. 

Basically, you're saying the 2011/12 season was more of a success than this season.