You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World Cup 2014

Oh look, lost of news stories about the German 'model' and what we could learn, sounds a bit like France 98 and the French 'model'.

When are people just going to admit that as long as the FA exists to keep people like Trevor Brooking and Harry Bassett employed, England are fucked?

Oh look, lost of news stories about the German 'model' and what we could learn, sounds a bit like France 98 and the French 'model'.

When are people just going to admit that as long as the FA exists to keep people like Trevor Brooking and Harry Bassett employed, England are fucked?

Am I the only one who think the French lose that final if Ronaldo didn't have seizures and all that weird shit the night before it?

The German model is simple, hire a competent manager, play organized modern football that suits the players at your disposal, profit. The only player they arguably "shoe-horned" was Ozil and even he had his moments where he wasn't completely shit, he's just lazy as fuck and most of the other teams were shit. It was an entertaining World Cup but outside of Germany and I guess Holland against Spain, who were trash, none of the historical powerhouses looked any good. The Argies were just less shit than Holland in their Semi. I know it was trendy to shit on Brazil this tournament but I'm not at all convinced they don't make the final from the other side of the bracket. The 3rd place game would suggest otherwise but as most mentioned it's a game where the team who cares about it slightly more than the other usually wins.

They were but I'd say the same about Holland and Argentina. Holland get eliminated in the round of 16 if Mexico didn't lose their concentration for the last 10 minutes of the game and even then it took a soft last minute penatly to get them through. Argentina didn't really play anyone until they played Holland and that went to pens.

If Brasil and Argentina played eachother, for me it'd have looked like a Stoke training match. Two teams hoping one of their forwards can do something special whilst the rest of them kick and fuck over the opposition as much as possible. You'd fancy Argentina to win, but only because they have Messi, who disappeared in the knockouts for the most part. Which is why his Golden Ball is a joke.

Am I the only one who think the French lose that final if Ronaldo didn't have seizures and all that weird shit the night before it?

The German model is simple, hire a competent manager, play organized modern football that suits the players at your disposal, profit. The only player they arguably "shoe-horned" was Ozil and even he had his moments where he wasn't completely shit, he's just lazy as fuck and most of the other teams were shit. It was an entertaining World Cup but outside of Germany and I guess Holland against Spain, who were trash, none of the historical powerhouses looked any good. The Argies were just less shit than Holland in their Semi. I know it was trendy to shit on Brazil this tournament but I'm not at all convinced they don't make the final from the other side of the bracket. The 3rd place game would suggest otherwise but as most mentioned it's a game where the team who cares about it slightly more than the other usually wins.

I disagree with the "German model" comments.  They'd had a really bad tournaments - Euro 2000 when they finished bottom of the group then got walloped by England 5-1 in world cup qualifying and had a pretty dire team.  They'd gradually got less and less skilful, relying more on defensive, slow football, and "tournament nous".

Basically they shit their pants that they were hosting the 2006 world cup and were going to be terrible.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not) the German clubs were doing nothing much in Champions League at the same time.

They then analysed what they wanted German football to be and led by Klinsmann and Low, completely redesigned the youth policy and bullied all the clubs to get on board.  They decided they wanted Germany to play fast attacking football passing to feet and put in systems to develop players to play it.

It took a few years to come to fruition but the strength in depth of good technical German players is now showing.  Coincidentally (or perhaps not) Bayern and Dortmund have been excellent in the last few years of the Champions League – also playing fast attacking football passing to feet.

Being Germany they were single minded and organised about it.  The clubs in England all go their different ways, there is absolutely no join up between school football, youth football, professional clubs and the FA, and without doubt the clubs would be entirely correct in thinking there would be no fucking way the FA could organise anything to the similar benefit of football in England.

• Upvote 3

Really enjoyed that world cup. Particularly the group stages. The likes of Colombia, Chile and Costa Rica were a joy to watch. It went a bit stale towards then end (germany v brazil aside) but their was more at stake so its understandable.

The only comments about Germany seem to contain the words such as 'efficient' 'organised' 'disciplined' yet spectacularly miss the point of them having an abundance of home grown players playing in a league where the vast majority are actually German players. The youngsters are selected if good enough and they have brilliant coaches too.

Its no accident that they regularly are in the final stages of most tournaments either.

Their system has always contained sport being part of the school curriculum and supplying the facilities and coaches,highly trained of course,to do this. Also this applies to recreational football too.A case of putting their money where their mouths are.

All this is done while charging supporters reasonable entrance fees to watch their teams at a weekend as well.

• Upvote 1

The only comments about Germany seem to contain the words such as 'efficient' 'organised' 'disciplined' yet spectacularly miss the point of them having an abundance of home grown players playing in a league where the vast majority are actually German players. The youngsters are selected if good enough and they have brilliant coaches too.

Its no accident that they regularly are in the final stages of most tournaments either.

Their system has always contained sport being part of the school curriculum and supplying the facilities and coaches,highly trained of course,to do this. Also this applies to recreational football too.A case of putting their money where their mouths are.

All this is done while charging supporters reasonable entrance fees to watch their teams at a weekend as well.

Spot on. Even though Spain has a lot of talent as well, in the long term German system/philosophy is even better and good for all parties involved (smaller clubs are financially healthy as well).

England down from 10th to 20th in the FIFA rankings. Job done, expectations lowered. Officially.

I'm sure Roy will manage to shoehorn a reference into a future press conference. Something like:

"I think the supporters need to realise that we are England, not Germany, Argentina or Brazil. Given our FIFA / Coca-Cola World Ranking, it would be very odd to think it realistic for us to perform better than we did".

• Upvote 2

Will 2018 be on? At this rate I think the Russians would be playing on their own.

Blatter will be shitting it in case Putin wants his cash back,.

Its a fair point though. Can't see the Dutch being too keen if this is still on the agenda in a couple of years. England would be delighted to boycott the WC thereby ensuring their best effort for years.  

Dunga? What the fuck is going on in Brazil?

I guess they can't make too drastic a change to the Brazil set-up as they've not been producing enough players to turn things around quickly enough and switch to a more positive approach. Dunga's Brazil team played slightly less sterile counter-attacking football than Scolari's team so the guy coming in after Dunga could be a more attack-minded coach, and he'll have the benefit of having players that can more readily adapt to the change in ethos.

That sounds far too logical to have been concocted by the CBF though, so it's more likely they've shit the bed and are scratching around, resulting in them picking the guy they fired in 2010.