You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: "Souey slaughters the butcher (1983/84)" by Darren Grady

I was on the Kop the night we played Dynamo Bucharest in the 83-84 European Cup  Semi Final, 1st leg and seeing as this was a vital game, nerves were a little on edge, especially as we did not want to concede a goal at home.

Bucharest had a bit of a reputation as being a team of hatchet men, in particular their captain who was nicknamed "The Butcher" and in the footballing circles of the Eastern block had made a bit of a name for himself.   The Bucharest players were more than happy to mix it and if the game were to be played like that today then they would have finished the game with about 5 or 6 players left on the pitch. 

butcher1.jpg
The smallest fella on the pitch (Sammy Lee) scored with a header but the main talking point was what happened to 'The Butcher'.  Midway through the second half, Souey lamped him one in the centre circle. I, along with thousands of others did not even see the punch, all we saw was 'the Butcher' sparko on his way to Walton General with a broken jaw!

In the return leg he was marked out for abuse from the partisan crowd and in the warm up every time he touched the ball he was booed loudly. As a result, the Liverpool players were purposely passing the ball to him and the boos were getting louder and louder.

This was Souey's last season at Anfield before moving on to play a couple of seasons at Sampdoria and he was the hardest player I ever saw play. People talk about Vinnie Jones and Roy Keane being hard men but nobody could compete with Souey.   I want to remember him as a great player and not about his article in the S*n or his bust up with Thommo. We could do with his kind of player in the team now. 

What made it all the nicer was that we won the away leg and went onto lift the cup. Top memories from a top side and a top season!

Darren Grady

butcher2.jpg

Season:  1983/84
Opposition: Dynamo Bucharest
Result: 1-0
Scorer(s): Sammy Lee
Venue: Anfield

Click here to view the article

I was on the Kop that night  -didn't see the punch as it was off the ball but I remember like most thinking he was playacting until someone close by who had seen the incident explained.

Souness was an unbelievable player. Can't remember him giving the ball away and he had more to his range than players like Ray 'the crab' Wilkins.

I don't know if any footage of that incident exists but I have seen footage of an incident when he was playing for Rangers, when he planted his studs into the bollocks of his opponent with a ridiculously late challenge. I can't remember if he was booked or sent off for that but I have a feeling it was also against Dinamo Bucharest!

Can anyone find a clip of him taking out Moses in the Milk cup final in 83? He done him big time. I can't get a clip of it anywhere.

Yeah I know what you're talking about there - not sure if LFCTV includes that in the highlights. Moses was no angel and cultivated a hard man image but this was no contest.

His debut for Rangers, he destroyed a Hibernian player, straight red.

Then an old firm game, might have been his first at Parkhead, Billy Stark, Celtic player, only had 1 boot on, some eedjit passed it to him as he was trying to put the boot on. He quickly got rid of the ball but a second later, fucking wham, Souness went through him. Straight red.

That was when Scottish football wasn't turd.

It's all about opinions. Souness as a man is always tainted for selling his sole for 40 pieces of silver. Call him a cunt for that, he deserves it. For me, on the pitch, the best leader we've had (at least in my 30 odd years watching us). Again, all about opinions.

• Upvote 1

I was in the Anfield Road for that Dinamo game, didn't see the punch but saw plenty of Dinamo kicking shit out of us. You just didn't mess with Souness but he was also a brilliant player. He was a real competitor, better than Gerrard in my view because Gerrard is prone to flakiness. The second half against Chelsea and the last 15 minutes against Palace are painful proof of that.

Hadn't Moses been giving it the Billy Big Bollocks leading up to that Milk Cup Final saying how hard he was and what he was going to do to us.

First 50/50 tackle of the game and Souness wiped him out and the rest of the game vitually passed him by.

Great player and leader on the pitch, Shite manager though.

That second leg performace has got to be one the greatest by and Liverpool player he was kicked to fuck by the Bucharest players and yet continued to want the ball and dominate the midfield....Read somewhere that  at half time his socks were in shreads due to the kicking he took....

A beast of a player with the touch of an artist.....