You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Lallana fancies Anfield switch?

tlw content

Henderson had one good half season before we signed him, Allen had one season, Coutinho had one decent loan season in la liga, Sturridge had half a season playing regularly under Boas. What's your point? i can come up with an equally long list of players that have been signed off the back of one season and been excellent.

Sturridge and Coutinho had massive reputations in the game as youngsters and their careers always looked to be heading towards the top, we signed them after they had stalled a bit for cut-price fees. That's the complete opposite of waiting for a player with no reputation in the game to perform far above his career average and then signing him for ridiculous money.

Henderson and Allen were signed at the ages of 20 and 22 respectively, having already established themselves as very good Premier League midfielders. Lallana was playing in the Championship as a 24 year old, while every half decent player his club produced was poached by a big team before they'd left their teens.

You give me a list of players who have been completely average for the first 24 years of their lives and then gone on to be absolutely superb footballers (which is what you'd hope to get when you spend over £20m). And I mean in recent years, when every club in the land is run over with a fine tooth comb by dozens of scouting systems, all looking for anyone who can play at a higher level than they're currently at.

• Upvote 1

And if Lallana is so much better than any of those three midfielder you mentioned then brilliant sign him up and he's an automatic first choice. But if he's not, if he isn't far and away better than those three then really what's the point.

25 million is a lot to spend on depth.

Why does he have to be far and away better than those three? we are top of the league with those three in our midfield. He's as good and in some cases better, he's such a perfect fit for us, that it'd mitigate any potential problems as far as the transfer goes.

He plays the way we play, his technical ability is exactly what Rodgers looks for, he's primarily a left sided player which is what we need, he can play just as well if not better on the right, he can play any of the two advanced midfield roles, as well as playing either left sided or right sided attacker in a 4-3-3.

• Upvote 1

10 goals and 9 assists in the prem league pisses over anyone in our midfield this season. Looked the bollocks when stepped up in class coming on for golden boy jack Whiltshire and Wayne Rooney for England recently. Linked well with Sturridge and Sterling. It's a massive yes from me.

• Upvote 1

Why does he have to be far and away better than those three?

Because we're looking to improve the first team not maintain the status quo (insert Phil Collins jokes here).

For 25 million you'd expect more than a flip of the coin on who plays because there's no great difference between the shiny new signing and three players already at the club.

You can do a lot with that kind of money and spending it on a player with one good season under his belt at 26 is maybe not the best way to go about it.

Sturridge and Coutinho had massive reputations in the game as youngsters and their careers always looked to be heading towards the top, we signed them after they had stalled a bit for cut-price fees. That's the complete opposite of waiting for a player with no reputation in the game to perform far above his career average and then signing him for ridiculous money.

Henderson and Allen were signed at the ages of 20 and 22 respectively, having already established themselves as very good Premier League midfielders. Lallana was playing in the Championship as a 24 year old, while every half decent player his club produced was poached by a big team before they'd left their teens.

You give me a list of players who have been completely average for the first 24 years of their lives and then gone on to be absolutely superb footballers (which is what you'd hope to get when you spend over £20m). And I mean in recent years, when every club in the land is run over with a fine tooth comb by dozens of scouting systems, all looking for anyone who can play at a higher level than they're currently at.

Didier Drogba, Di Natale, Ian Wright, Mandzukic, Miroslav Klose, Eric Cantona.

But you do have a point it is rare to find someone that's had a distinguished career after being in the lower leagues, or lesser leagues for most of their early career. Kevin Phillips is another one, but it's rare.

I think he's class. I would be tempted to wait until after the world cup, see how he copes on the international stage, but he'll be playing for Woy so he'd be forgiven for not playing to the best of his abilities. 

Him, Sterling, Coutinho and Suso can all play in similar positions and would allow us to switch things round a bit and provide some much needed competition. I'd get him in over Konoplyanka and then make our other big signing a central midfielder with a bit of everything. 

Didier Drogba, Di Natale, Ian Wright, Mandzukic, Miroslav Klose, Eric Cantona.

But you do have a point it is rare to find someone that's had a distinguished career after being in the lower leagues, or lesser leagues for most of their early career. Kevin Phillips is another one, but it's rare.

Llanna has made it into his leagues player of year team in four of the past five seasons, although up until now at a lower level. He has always been well regarded. Why clubs haven't taken a punt on him maybe down to Southampton wanting massive money for a player not established in the top flight and clubs preferring tried and trusted prem league players for the same price.

Because we're looking to improve the first team not maintain the status quo (insert Phil Collins jokes here).

For 25 million you'd expect more than a flip of the coin on who plays because there's no great difference between the shiny new signing and three players already at the club.

You can do a lot with that kind of money and spending it on a player with one good season under his belt at 26 is maybe not the best way to go about it.

You really can't, not when you factor in the English tax on top. Matt Jarvis went for 11 million, Stephen Fletcher for 14 million. He's English, he's in his prime, it'll cost about 20 million and it's a fair price considering he's leaps and bounds ahead of everyone in their team.  

They spent 14 million on Gaston Ramirez and look how that turned out? Osvaldo 13 million, Wanayama 13 million.... he absolutely shits on all those players from a great height. In a day and age were every average european "prospect" is worth 7 million the second Liverpool come to the negotiation table, i think it represents value.

You have to also factor in Rodgers and his ability to improve players and make the end result greater than the sum of it's parts, if he can improve Lallana the way he has with Henderson and Sterling then he could take him to the next level, i.e. 15 goals, 15 assists a season, which is exactly what we need.

• Upvote 2

I think he's class. I would be tempted to wait until after the world cup, see how he copes on the international stage, but he'll be playing for Woy so he'd be forgiven for not playing to the best of his abilities.

Him, Sterling, Coutinho and Suso can all play in similar positions and would allow us to switch things round a bit and provide some much needed competition. I'd get him in over Konoplyanka and then make our other big signing a central midfielder with a bit of everything.

It's not a case of Konoplyanka or Lallana, Lallana would be our central midfield signing.

Hope its true....wonderful player......my number 1 on the wish list for this summer!

Was told 2 weeks by a mate in the posh Housing Market that he's looking for a home here so I'm buzzing its looking like hes coming

A good left back and good striker (who can also play wide and cut in on his right) will make us even better.....and maybe another engine room player like Henderson.Diame would do on the cheap!

Agree with Cardie here. You can get a top player for 10 mil if you know where to look. Xabi, Hamann, we've had a decent record of buying ready made midfield talent without breaking the bank. It annoys me the way you've got to take your trousers down just because someone is English.