You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who selected Brendan?

Jonjo Baldy

Brendan’s appointment was a gamble, and one that has paid off. The odds were against, but you can never know how things will pan out, and a combination of skill, luck and opportunity have vindicated his selection. I think that Martinez would have done similarly well.

I have little doubt that he was selected as the most manageable of the candidates, and now he has grown into the job. Ayres and FSG will have been impressed by his pitch, but what then happens on the pitch is another matter.

The pressure on managers is unrelenting, and his success this season, ironically, probably gives him less margin for error next season. The PL opposition will be stronger next season, and a CL campaign is uncharted territory for Brendan, but he has seen off some distinguished competition since his appointment so far, and i suspect he will continue to do so.

Brendan’s appointment was a gamble, and one that has paid off. The odds were against, but you can never know how things will pan out, and a combination of skill, luck and opportunity have vindicated his selection. I think that Martinez would have done similarly well.

I have little doubt that he was selected as the most manageable of the candidates, and now he has grown into the job. Ayres and FSG will have been impressed by his pitch, but what then happens on the pitch is another matter.

The pressure on managers is unrelenting, and his success this season, ironically, probably gives him less margin for error next season. The PL opposition will be stronger next season, and a CL campaign is uncharted territory for Brendan, but he has seen off some distinguished competition since his appointment so far, and i suspect he will continue to do so.

That's a really long name. 

• Upvote 3

I'm sure he was involved in the selection process given his expertise in identifying top-level managers.

At least that's what he'll tell anyone who sticks a microphone within a hundred yards of him, the egotistical twat.

He was on Radio 5 yesterday morining chatting shit about Moyes getting sacked and how it was a financial decision.  What a pity he didn't show that level of insight within a month of appointing Hodgson. Fucking mewling quim.

I can't believe this shit is still being peddled by our fans.

He was chosen because he was talented not because he was some sort of puppet.

Of course he had potential, which has subsequently been realised.

But it is naive to think that after the problems Ayre had with a legend like KK, and his decision to give the combatative LVG a swerve, that a manager with less PL experience than himself was going to be an easier fit.It has nothing to do with him being a puppet.

Of course he had potential, which has subsequently been realised.

But it is naive to think that after the problems Ayre had with a legend like KK, and his decision to give the combatative LVG a swerve, that a manager with less PL experience than himself was going to be an easier fit.It has nothing to do with him being a puppet.

Do you think Ayre had anything to do with the decision?

I don't.