You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Special One: The Dark Side of Jose Mourinho

Lario

Brilliant this. Never heard of this writer before but I will be looking up his stuff over the coming weeks.

If there's one thing Chelsea Football Franchise is known for it's its unqualified rejection of instant gratification.

Unless you count buying a whole squad of mercenaries in 2004. But that's just different attitudes, I guess...

If you love a good cringe, try the Henry Winter column in today’s Times.

It contains a quip that “Shakespeare’s quill” would struggle to do justice to Mourinho’s departure.

It’s difficult to know which is the most absurd.

Mourinho as a fatally flawed Shakespearian hero or Winter being paid £400,000 a year to pen such tripe.

So glad it's him who's done it, as I said the other day, a parody of himself.

Extract from a Marina Hyde article, the day he got sacked:

Mmm. When the biographers come to anatomise this second chapter at Chelsea, I hope at least one of them considers entitling it something along the lines of: “Just Don’t Call It Shakespearean.”

That is likely to be very wishful thinking, however. The one thing of which you can be almost sure is that someone – perhaps many people – are already gearing up to posit that cliched old theory as soon as the curtain comes down on the drama. Even now, the poets of punditry are drafting thinkpieces or soliloquies that suggest Mourinho’s second spell at Stamford Bridge was akin to a Shakespearean tragedy.

10e93a3e35393c44c10249095aa41cdf.jpg

If you were to create a Surrey cab driver doll, which spoke phrases like "Trouble is, they don't want to work", "That's all well and good, but what about OUR human rights?", and "All I'm saying is let's look after our own people first" whenever you pull the Daily Mail hanging from it's coat pocket, you would make it look like him.

• Upvote 9

He's been holding that pose for 8 solid minutes.

The middle-distance stare is him thinking about the time Jose lied and slandered the Berkshire ambulance service for nearly killing his goalkeeper.  Good times.

• Upvote 1

He's part of the wider football picture - and you can't really be a fan without seeing outside your own team and taking an interest.

But specifically for Mourinho - he's constantly hyped himself up, and milked the media for all it's worth - so it's fairly natural that other fans enjoy it when it turns sour for him. If he was dignified, it might be a different matter, but he's never been that. 

lets see if you feel the same when he is pulling on a shit City Coat next season

City 

Why would you sack a football manager that has just won the league? I have to say I'm not all sure I understand modern football.

How can we, we are from jupiter and the new found wealth that has invaded the game is from mars.  Its just fucking nuts.  Nothing in the game makes much sense anymore but hey ho, we are in for the ride.  

City 

How can we, we are from jupiter and the new found wealth that has invaded the game is from mars.  Its just fucking nuts.  Nothing in the game makes much sense anymore but hey ho, we are in for the ride.  

yeah, but Mourinho is actually a "fast food" manager - can never develop a player, bring a young one through, and can never sustain a Club.  He's good at understanding and nullifying other teams weaknesses and relying on his own couple of attacking players to be lethal on the break.  

Didn't Inter win the CL with 25% possession in 2010?

yeah, but Mourinho is actually a "fast food" manager - can never develop a player, bring a young one through, and can never sustain a Club.  He's good at understanding and nullifying other teams weaknesses and relying on his own couple of attacking players to be lethal on the break.  

I remember Samuel Eto'o playing right back

I wish somebody would serve me up some of that "fast food", wouldn't mind a taste of that.