You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

25 years ago today

Coro

The thing that struck me is that the youngest victim would be my age now, if he hadn't passed. 35.

The deaths of the 96 are sad enough in themselves. But all those lost opportunities compound the sadness. Young people, kids in some cases, who had opportunity tore away from them just like that. Their whole lives in front of them. Kids that could have been taking their own kids to the match now if this tragic event didn't happen.

Rest in peace. Never forgotten.

25 years ago today a chain of events saw the police, the establishment and certain parts of the media tried to mask the truth and sweep it under the carpet.  They failed.  I've never been as proud of this city as I have been in the past quarter of a century.  We've always known the truth and slowly but surely the lies are being eradicated.  There are 96 reasons why the fight goes on, 96 families that need their prayers answered and their loved ones rightfully viewed as innocent, not guilty.  

As a city, Liverpool I salute you.  As human beings, the families I admire you.  As for fighting for the truth, I am proud of you.

Justice for the 96 will not bring them back, but it will show the world what we knew all along.

I hope the bastards who are responsible live an empty existence behind those bars.

• Upvote 5

25 years ago today a chain of events saw the police, the establishment and certain parts of the media tried to mask the truth and sweep it under the carpet. They failed. I've never been as proud of this city as I have been in the past quarter of a century. We've always known the truth and slowly but surely the lies are being eradicated. There are 96 reasons why the fight goes on, 96 families that need their prayers answered and their loved ones rightfully viewed as innocent, not guilty.

As a city, Liverpool I salute you. As human beings, the families I admire you. As for fighting for the truth, I am proud of you.

Justice for the 96 will not bring them back, but it will show the world what we knew all along.

I hope the bastards who are responsible live an empty existence behind those bars.

I wanted to post about this on the LFC feelings thread, but it didn’t feel appropriate and now you have given me the opening. I try not to feel ‘pride’ in the club. I’m not from Liverpool which means that, in a different time and a different place, I might not have been a Red. I remember last summer though, standing down in front of the Liver Building on a beautiful day with my heavily pregnant Scouse wife. The night before there had been a piece on Newsnight from Peter Marshall – like me, an out-of-towner – about Hillsborough, where he took another brick out of the wall of lies that has been built up over the last quarter-century. Standing in that iconic place, I felt such a burst of pride to be associated with the city that has given me so much and its people who refused to be cowed in their struggle to smash that wall to smithereens. At best, they were told it was pointless, to the extent that even high-profile members of the party of Keir Hardie were willing to wave away their objections and side with the establishment. At worst, they were told they were wrong, that were all a bunch of drunks and thieves and that the lie was the truth. It would have broken a lesser people. The fact that it didn’t speaks volumes.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26765007

List of the people who died and a bit about each person. One fella was a Tottenham fan who only went because his two Liverpool supporting friends needed a lift.

People of all ages and backgrounds, not the typical pissed up scouse Scallies who the media and police tried to portray them as.

• Upvote 1

25 years ago today a chain of events saw the police, the establishment and certain parts of the media tried to mask the truth and sweep it under the carpet.  They failed.  I've never been as proud of this city as I have been in the past quarter of a century.  We've always known the truth and slowly but surely the lies are being eradicated.  There are 96 reasons why the fight goes on, 96 families that need their prayers answered and their loved ones rightfully viewed as innocent, not guilty. 

As a city, Liverpool I salute you.  As human beings, the families I admire you.  As for fighting for the truth, I am proud of you.

This is exactly how i feel