You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Single all time Reds Player

Bjornebye

Just one? Impossible. I could name a hundred!

Kenny
Barnes
Rushie
Fowler
Gerrard

I've met a lot of out players/ex players, some more than once, and Barnes has always come across as the most sincere. I think if he was playing now he'd score 40 goals a season - he's the ultimate modern footballer, and he did it 25 years ago!

I do think Liverpool players from the past are underrated on a world level.

Impossible task to pick the best;  In their pomp Digger, Jan Molby, Keegan and Kenny were unplayable absolute footballing geniuses as were Rushie and Robbie Fowler. How do you choose between them?  The most influential player I've seen was Souness, if we had his like today we'd never lose a game; Stevie is the nearest thing to Souey but it's easier to play today than it was when Souness was king of the midfield.  

• Upvote 1

100% agree with you about Souness. Best Captain we've ever had in my opinion. A fucking colossus. It's all objective, but for me he was definitely the best captain we've ever had and certainly one of, if not the most influential player to wear the jersey. I think because of that, the stuff that happened when he was manager hurt that bit more.

Beat or Favourite?!

Jan Molby is my favourite, loved him and got to have a little chat at one of those "evening with" things. He was quite happy to chat as well.

Best for me is going to be the current captain, followed closely by Digger. I still remember those two goals against QPR and just how majestic he was that season.

100% agree with you about Souness. Best Captain we've ever had in my opinion. A fucking colossus. It's all subjective but for me he was definitely the best captain we've ever had and certainly one of, if not the most influential player to wear the jersey. I think because of that, the stuff that happened when he was manager hurt that bit more.

Sourness was arguably our best pound for pound player. If he was around today, he'd be an 80 million pound player. Actually, a 100 million pound player. Kenny and Stevie G both magnificent players who are more than just players but symbols of the club. They are both two of the best players to have played the game. If Stevie was with the current Spanish team and winning tournaments, he'd be recognised like that. Barnesie was majestic and a proper sincere fella to boot. Rushie, Robbie and Keegan some of the best strikers to have played in Britain. Suarez has to be in the mix as well. My old fella said billy Liddell was incredible and his personal favourite and I don't think anyone on here remembers Elisha Scott who was supposed to be unreal.

Then there is the supporting cast of wonderful players; Cally, the two Kennedy's, Carra, Phil Neal, Ron Yeats, Lawro, Jocky, roger hunt, whelan, molby, heighway and about 40 or 50 more.

For my money,

(1) souness

(2) Stevie g

(3) Kenny

(4) barnsie

(5) Suarez

(6) Rushie

(7) Jocky

(8) Lawro

(9) Robbie

(10) Phil Neal

Tell you what though, when you read through the names of the players on these pages it makes you realise that we are one bunch of jammy fuckers with the quality of players we’ve been able to watch and support over the years. 

Peoples choices of their favourites reads like a who’s who of some of the best footballers in their positions in the last 30-40 years.

There are only a very small handful of clubs who can real off a top 20-30 of players of the quality we can.  We are in a very privileged position, even in the bad times, and should be thankful for it.

• Upvote 1

If the question is just about who your favourite player is/was, rather than who was/is the best/most influential, then when I started going to the game it was Ray Kennedy. He seemed so elegant and effortless, and every goal he scored seemed to have that extra something. The EC semi-final goal versus Bayern is a great example. There was something film-starish about him.