You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

At the game or in the armchair, which gets you the best view?

Torvald Utne

I don't go to the game very often but when I do I'm invariably tucked in a corner somewhere near pitch level, I leave the game having not a clue what has happened really as viewing the game at pitch level gives no perspective.

However, all you ever hear people banging on about is how you don't see everything when you're watching on tv, off the ball runs etc.

Ideally for me it would be sitting up in the heavens on the half way line.

So which do you think is better?

Sat inside the stadium somewhere like here...

0.jpg

or watching on tv...

City_goal_vs_Liverpool.png

Couldn't be arsed searching for long to find good examples

The stadium is better, generally. But being close to the action does suck a bit.

My season ticket (when I had it) was in line with the Kop end penalty area and about half way up the main stand. So, one pole aside, it was a great seat to see the whole pitch, and the game unfold.

But, for European nights, I'd go in the Kop with my mates, and they were on row 8 or 9 and I definitely enjoyed it less than my main stand ticket.

Haven't got my seasie anymore, and miss it, so I'd probably welcome even a seat like the one portrayed in your pic.

TV is better.  Since the advent of 16:9 aspect ratio coverage and the Sky era you get a nice panoramic view of the main part of the pitch for most games and multiple replays of all significant incidents from numerous angles.  

You forgot to mention the deeply insightful commentary by Niall Quinn, and the excellent punditry by Jamie Redknapp.

And the enthusiastic and vibrant Michael Owen. They should have a feature whereby you can mute the commentary, but not the noise of the stadium itself.

I think the question was Best view! Thankfully during the game you don't have to view Clark Carlisle, Owen, Gareth crooks, Niall Quinn, Danny mills, and all the other shite

Guest Numero Veinticinco

One thing is for sure, it's not as good watching it at home as it is going for a pre-match beer, walking to the ground with everybody else around, singing through match, the roar when we score, then going across the road for some pretty average chips before getting on the piss after. I wouldn't trade a single match I've been to for a single match at home. Nothing to do with the view, though. It's to do with camaraderie and atmosphere.

As for best view (I assume you're asking about accurately judging the game), it depends on the seat you're in and sometimes the match in question. If it's a European night, you can get right caught up and miss stuff. I never really felt I was particularly enlightened by being at the game, and often changed my mind when coming home and watching a replay. You do get better off-the-ball perspectives, especially from some areas of the ground, but some of the has been negated somewhat due to new TV technologies.

If you're in a good seat, you do get a pretty great perspective, and a better perspective on player movement, speed, and general effort. If you're in a shit seat, or really close to the pitch, you can miss a load. I certainly don't think somebody watching it on TV these days has a less valuable opinion than somebody being at the match. That's all a bit old hat, even if it's something I probably uttered on more than one occasion.

• Upvote 1

I've, unfortunately, been to only a handful of football matches. For me, being at the game is less about seeing technicalities, more about soaking in the atmosphere, cheering on a team and just enjoying a day out with whomever i happen to be with.

Stringvest is right, if you really want to see anything, you can easily go home and watch it on tv again. So for better view (tiny details and replays) I'd say watch it at home.

That being said, if I had the chance to see Liverpool in person every weekend, I'd rip your arm off for it.

At the ground is better. There's more to watching a game than where the ball happens to be at any given moment. You see forwards making darting runs, defenders drifting out of position, needle between between a player and his marker escalating throughout the game, full court presses . . . and all that is just at a pub game. Television is just a facsimile of the real thing.

I think TV can give you a distorted view sometimes. Players on TV look like they have bags of space but when you are actually watching it live you can see they dont.

There are technical limitation with television due to a lack of depth perception. How often on the TV have you seen a player hit a shot that is blocked and not known whether it's been cleared or looping into the box? I presume it's different for the dozen people who have 3D, but for the rest of us there's always confusion.

Arguably, the best view is more likely from the armchair, cos you can rewind parts, see all the different angles from Sky/BT, freeze frame etc, but you watch the match how they want you to see it.

At the match you get the full experience, the walk to the ground, the pint and hot dog before / at half time, the craic, watch what you want, see movement from players that aren't picked up on TV, but if you miss something, you can't rewind it or watch the replay. The occasional arse on his mobile phone mid match, or standing in front of you at a crucial point. Plus you're making a day of it, on TV the missus, starts bleating the moment 90 mins is up, even though there's 5 mins injury time.

The best view, the TV I'd say.

The best experience - the match without a doubt

• Upvote 1

It's definitely the game, not just for the experience either, it gives you a much better feel for how good these players are when it's not a flattened, colour-balanced image with compressed sound and a reduced appreciation for the physical elements (weather, atmosphere, temperature, etc.) but a genuine direct, tactile, 3D (i.e. not some shite stereoscopy in a pub) experience.

Yes, you might see the odd thing wrong that the person at home enjoys multiple replays of, but you'll see things they didn't even get to see and what you do see will leave a far deeper impression.

Also, live music is better and films are better in the cinema.

• Upvote 1