You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Historical pictures

Sugar Ape

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought a few people might like this based on how well the old Liverpool pictures goes and it's of that ilk.

One of the biggest ships ever made at Swan Hunters on the Tyne.

I really love the whole bygone era and seeing the old photos of Liverpool and around the North in general. I'm like a mild Moanero, been living in the past since I was about 10. 

tumblr_n97hvh1wcX1r84j0io1_1280.jpg

And building of the Tyne Bridge. Very silly, they forgot their hard hats.

construction-of-the-tyne-bridge-85-years

• Upvote 6

Thought a few people might like this based on how well the old Liverpool pictures goes and it's of that ilk.

I really love the whole bygone era and seeing the old photos of Liverpool and around the North in general. I'm like a mild Moanero, been living in the past since I was about 10. 

And 3 or 4 year old kids in the middle of the road with only one adult in sight. 

• Upvote 1

Is it the Esso Hibernia ? If so, there another image of it in here with a video of her launch.

https://twitter.com/northumbriana/status/893809585215221764

• Upvote 1

Is it the Esso Hibernia ? If so, there another image of it in here with a video of her launch.

https://twitter.com/northumbriana/status/893809585215221764

The one I posted is the Esso Northumbria, although the picture I was actually looking for when I posted it was one with the hull finished which is near identical to the Esso Hibernia one you linked to.

I'd come across them ages ago as I'd been looking for stuff related to ships my grandad had worked on, specifically one of the Cunard liners which was refitted at Swans, I have a load of stuff in the house which came off the liner, cutlery and bits and pieces like that.  A bit like the way the houses of the West Midlands all had houses painted in British Leyland colours I think half of Wallsend and North Shields got new kitchens, cutlery and glassware because the stuff of the boat was to be skipped.

They are such a weird image, normal street and then it's just dominated by this fucking thing at the end of the road.

There was a thing I read from some people who lived in the streets down there and they said half the time at night the streets were all lit up in electric blue with the welders working night shift on the hulls. 

• Upvote 1

Now stop giving me the ‘ Four Yorkshireman ‘ routine , Angry, I went through Tuebrook yesterday and I’ll be honest , there were cars everywhere

Our street (and neighbouring streets) have got no more cars than in that picture and they're dead-ends, so there's no through traffic.

A couple of years ago someone put a trampoline at the end of our street, so all summer we had kids from all the neighbouring streets bouncing away, day and night.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Our street (and neighbouring streets) have got no more cars than in that picture and they're dead-ends, so there's no through traffic.

A couple of years ago someone put a trampoline at the end of our street, so all summer we had kids from all the neighbouring streets bouncing away, day and night.

We live in a cul de sac. Friends used to call it ‘the street that time forgot’ for just the same reason. Kids from neighbouring streets would come round during the summer and they’d all play out for hours, all ages and we only vaguely knew where they were.

One of the best things we ever did for our kids

And building of the Tyne Bridge. Very silly, they forgot their hard hats.

construction-of-the-tyne-bridge-85-years

Just catching up with this thread now and seeing your pictures, chev. Thanks for posting them

We rode out to the Roman fort at Segedunum last week and looked out over the massive Swan Hunters site now levelled to the ground. There and gone in less than a hundred years

• 3 weeks later...

A torture device used during the inquisition known as a knee splitter.

Basically does what it says and renders the victims knees useless after splitting them.

As much as I'd like to pretend otherwise I think I'd be squealing like the proverbial pig if that was about to be used on me.... 

DnihkIcXgAARKA4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...