You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joey Barton

TheHowieLama

Barton, at one time, was good enough to play for England, but that's because at one time England were so devoid of quality in midfield, anyone would of got a game.

The reason he's playing in the championship is because he's a fucking head case. Two criminal convictions and three or four FA charges all violence related. Just because he flashes his knickers at Liverpool every once and a while, it shouldn't disguise the fact that the bloke is a twat.

He's done a lot of good regarding Hillsborough, but he's just an arse really.

• Upvote 2

The thing that most bores me about Barton isn't so much his average playing career, it's his average brain which is now seemingly rent-a-quote for subjects far and wide as though he's a footballing anti-hero mixed with one of the Ancient Greek great minds.

Fucking 'Pete and Bernie's Philosophical Steakhouse' on legs.

You just know he'll end up on the match of the day panel as soon as he retires as well. It'll be just like Savage all over, another controversial panelist that speaks "home truths" and we'll have to read ridiculous articles with his inane drivel about "why English players have no heart" or "why the coaching in this country is shit" by Joey Barton. 

Joey Barton who got thrown in prison while he was at Newcastle, Joey Barton who infuriated every manager he ever worked with to the point were they wanted to strangle him. We'll take him into our hearts eventually, come out of the cold Joey into our collective bosom, he'll be our Joey, the loveable psychopath that made us realise, that were not so different after all. 

Hes one of the top five rbs in the world Imo, only alves and lahm are better Imo but ill say top five incase anyone says an obvious name that is not in my head right now, I am not talking potential here either Im talking about ability right now.

Being one of the top 5 current players in your position doesn't make you world class.

If the top three of those 5 are clearly way above everyone else in terms of ability and then there's a drop off in talent then players 4 and 5 just get in by default.

That JermainePennant felal is as bad a poster as his namesake was a signing. The definition of a World Class player is someone who performs consistently week in week out. Not consistently having a decent game 1 in 3, if we're lucky& when he can be arsed.

By that definition the keeper for Cardiff is world class.

People are acting like they have never heard anyone say GJ is world class before, I have heard numerous ex reds say that this season along with our manager saying he is one of the best full backs around, players in our team have said this also.

there has been points in his time with us that he has been among the best in his position, certainly not at the moment though even if I do think people are going way over the top with criticism

That JermainePennant felal is as bad a poster as his namesake was a signing. The definition of a World Class player is someone who performs consistently week in week out. Not consistently having a decent game 1 in 3, if we're lucky& when he can be arsed.

Everyone has their own definition of world class, according to yours messi was not world class this season and Im sure ronaldos had off days aswell.

Mine is if your in the top few players in the world in your position or you are good enough to play in any side, glen fits into both these categories for me.

there has been points in his time with us that he has been among the best in his position, certainly not at the moment though even if I do think people are going way over the top with criticism

Fair enough mate that your opinion Im just saying people are making out Ive said something ridiculous but I have seen many people saying the same as me this season.

I'm no great lover of Robbie Savage, but I remember a boss bit of punditry a few years back savaging Barton. It was when he was playing for Newcastle and he came out with a comment like "on form and ability, I walk into the England midfield." Savage picked up on it and showed a couple of clips of Barton. The first was him fucking up a free header from six yards out, Savage goes "Frank Lampard buries that all day long." The next was of him sending a crossfield ball into row Z: "Bread and butter ball for Steven Gerrard." The third was of him misplacing a pass to his own team mate who was six yards away, "Gareth Barry makes that pass in his sleep."

I liken Barton to Mark Hughes (as a manager), in that I've never known anyone to have such an unwarranted high opinion of their own limited ability.

I think it's admirable that he's made a genuine effort at turning his life around, but he seriously needs to rein his gob in. It's always the empty vessels that make the most noise. Putting up quotes from the likes of Nietzsche and Freud on Twitter do not make you an intellectual. In my modest academic career, I've always found it's the quiet, calculated people to be the most intelligent and self-assured, as opposed to the brash mouths on legs.

• Upvote 1

Everyone has their own definition of world class, according to yours messi was not world class this season and Im sure ronaldos had off days aswell.

Mine is if your in the top few players in the world in your position or you are good enough to play in any side, glen fits into both these categories for me.

It just so happens yours is wrong.

You can't be world class by default.