You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Chelsea (Apr 27 2014)

WhiskeyJar

Watch the media this week, Maureen will be everywhere trying to play his little mind games, trying to sneak a little advantage.  He didn't do himself any favours after the Sunderland game, so he'll need to make up for that.  I'm sure he won't disappoint.

And I would be overjoyed to hear "Fuck off Maureen" from the crowd a few times as well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Because our opponents are coming off the back of a spectacular, spirit-lifting home demolition of Sunderland.

Hippy bastard.

They've got a very difficult game against athletico in the week, if that's a close game and they have a chance of going through I fully expect mourinho to rest some players for our game

Exactly my thoughts. If they have a good first leg then CL may become their priority.

But if they lose then Arsenal and Everton may start to loom large in the rear view mirror.

Watch the media this week, Maureen will be everywhere trying to play his little mind games, trying to sneak a little advantage.  He didn't do himself any favours after the Sunderland game, so he'll need to make up for that.  I'm sure he won't disappoint.

And I would be overjoyed to hear "Fuck off Maureen" from the crowd a few times as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him keep his head down for the next week, even if he is dying to chip in.

He's only just been charged by the FA and they're sure to be weighing up whether to slap charges against him, Faria and Ramires.

Getting pissed last night and this morning didn't help me survive the match any better. For next week, I'm considering a large dose of barbiturates.

Oh, and we'll get thrashed. I figure 4-0. An Eto'o hat-trick (left knee, right shoulder, in off his chin), followed by Rui Faria running out the tunnel in stoppage time to pick the ball up in his teeth, run it into the goal and crouch there tearing it into pieces like a demented little terrier.

• Upvote 1

Remember that flag in the 2005 semi , your not buying this one mourinho , well the atmosphere will be the same and Liverpool will be up for it. Hopefully hold it at the back with a solid committed display of hard graft from whoever plays for the 90 + 6 mins and that'll be it as the rest can do what they like up front which will include a goal or two, so tense as it may be I think we'll get there and then 4 pts at least from the rest and can't be caught , once more into the breach.

Suggesting that Fernando Torres was once a firm fans' favourite at Atletico Madrid is something of an understatement.

The Chelsea striker will be hoping to help fire his side into the Champions League final by defeating the club where he made his namebefore joining Liverpool in a £25m move nearly seven years ago.

And when the now 30-year-old first steps onto the Vicente Calderon turf to limber up for Tuesday's first leg, Torres is sure to be granted a warm reception from the supporters who once idolised him.

When I asked a selection of Atletico fans for a snapshot of what Torres meant to them, their answers were emphatic and effusive: "hero", "icon" and, most poetically, "a shining candle in a sea of darkness".

If that all sounds a bit over the top, it's important to understand the context of Torres's rapid rise from much-hyped wonderkid to global superstar.

It came at an otherwise depressing time in Atletico's history. They were playing in the Segunda Division, having been relegated only four years after winning the La Liga and Copa del Rey double in 1996.

To make things worse, their bitter rivals Real Madrid were enjoying an era of phenomenal success, claiming three Champions League trophies in five seasons.

Just to rub it in a bit more, Real's attack was being brilliantly led by the ultimate local-boy-made-good, Raul, who had progressed through Atletico's youth ranks before moving to the Bernabeu as a teenager, leaving Atletico fans to reflect upon what might have been.

Amidst the Rojiblancos' gloom, the heralded rise of a young striker called Fernando Torres suddenly gave them rare cause for optimism.

Long before his first-team debut, most Atletico followers were aware that Torres had grown up as a devoted fan before joining the club at the age of 11 and signing his first professional contract four years later.

Thanks to his exploits at youth level, those Atletico fans eagerly looked forward to the time when he would be old enough to shine for the first team.

He even gained international recognition by claiming the player-of-the-tournament award after firing Spain to the European Under-16 Championship title in 2001, scoring the winner from the penalty spot in the final against France.

That tournament took place in England and concluded in early May, with the final staged at Sunderland's Stadium of Light after a host team including Glen Johnson, Justin Hoyte and Craig Westcarr had been knocked out in the semi-final by France.

With a few weeks still remaining before the end of the domestic campaign, Torres's success created a growing clamour from Atletico fans for their young sensation to immediately receive his senior debut.

They got their way and Torres, still only 17, made a handful of appearances as Atletico narrowly missed out on promotion.

From the start of the following campaign he was a regular pick, however, further enhancing his burgeoning reputation by helping his side cruise to the Segunda Division title, ending their two-year exodus from the top flight.

Although Torres only scored six goals during that promotion-winning season, his energetic, determined style of play and obvious allegiance to the Atletico cause further endeared him to the fans, who had by then nicknamed him 'El Nino' - The Kid.

The rest is history. Torres quickly became one of the most potent goalscorers in La Liga, earning his first international cap and being appointed Atletico's captain at the age of just 19. The kid had grown up fast.

After a goal-laden few years the disappointment felt by Atletico fans at Torres's eventual departure to Liverpool was eased by the fact that he was followed by a veritable who's who of fabulous forwards: Diego Forlan, Sergio Aguero, Radamel Falcao and now the current front pairing of Diego Costa and David Villa.

And although the powerful Costa, who has scored 35 goals in all competitions this season, will probably soon become the latest in a long line of Atletico strikers to secure lucrative moves elsewhere, there could well be a significant consolation prize for the Rojiblancos.

The club most heavily linked with Costa's signature has been Chelsea - not least due to the fact that the striker's agent, the highly influential Jorge Mendes, also represents Blues boss Jose Mourinho.

With Torres seemingly not rated particularly highly by Mourinho, it would be no surprise if he was allowed to return to the Vicente Calderon in part-exchange for Costa during the summer transfer window.

Adding further fuel to that rumour, Atletico manager Diego Simeone - who played alongside the youthful Torres during his second playing spell with the club between 2003 and 2005 - recently said he had exchanged messages with his former team-mate.

The widespread view that Torres is now in decline will certainly not bother Simeone, who has excelled in consistently extracting the highest possible level of performance out of an unheralded squad.

Rather than regarding Torres's diminishing status as a problem, Simeone would relish it as an opportunity for the striker to prove his growing number of doubters wrong.

Before long, then, a reunion could be on the cards, and the sight of Torres back at the Vicente Calderon might not just be restricted to Tuesday.

If that happens, a hero's welcome is guaranteed.

that ll be nice for him especially as he ll get a pigs head at anfield on sunday.

Missed him today. Particularly late on. When Sterling got tired in the 2nd half there was no threat in behind there back four, and nothing was sticking. I think that's why he brought Moses on, he's the closest we had on the bench to a pacy option.

Sterlings second goal showed where we missed studge and Henderson, normally them two would have been breaking toward with Luis and Raheem but yesterday the only close to them was Lucas who is not much of a threat on goal.

Getting sturridge back for this game would be a massive boost.

I'd start Agger, Sakho seemed very nervous in the second half against Norwich. We can't afford to have that against Chelsea. Lucas didn't look overly fit, so Sturridge should come in for him.

I hope Hazard is still not fit to start the game, the state Johnson's in at the moment

Im a big sakho fan and rate him as a better defender then agger however if Agger is to play again this season Chelsea could be the game for him, he has a problem with powerful strikers which Chelsea do not have.

If it was my choice sakho would start though, as others have said he looks uncomfortable on the ball sometimes but does actually find the pass most times.