You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Twist of fate?

Raichew

Hi Folks,

First post here although I have been reading from this site for more than 10 years now (yes, I am extremely laid back and passive, preferring to let my more well-read and informed fellow Reds do the talking instead).

Just a random thought after reading the 'Premier League players who would improve us' article...

We all know that over the last 2 decades or so, the Mancs (pre-Moyes) became the darlings of the press with the advent of the Premier League and the all-invading influence of the likes of Sky etc... It is also fair to say that English national team over the same period more often than not consisted of Manc players (especially during the 90s'). This was in spite of how rightly rubbish some of them were and (in my opinion) were there because of they played for i.e. the Mancs. Good examples would be Phil Neville, Wes Brown and Nicky Butt.

It also helped the Mancs when Ferguson boycotted the BBC, thus resulting in the subsequent grovelling from the media as a result of not wanting to miss out juicy exclusives from the most successful English club during this period. As such, almost everyone in the press and the FA treaded ever so carefully for fear of upsetting their press favourite.

All these in turn helped the Mancs bit by bit with getting away with murder week in and out e.g. their foreign players getting work permits easily, Respect campaign etc.

And then this evil cycle repeated itself every year since i.e. the press loves them, the FA loves them, they get unfair advantages, they get more players into the national team, which makes the press and FA love them more and so on...

Now the following is going to be bit of a stretch, but be patient with me...

1. Ferguson is obviously 'gone' and possibly doesn't wield as much influence as he used to with the press.

2. The English press loves to build their heroes up and tear them down when the going gets tough. Moyes is now starting to receive flak from all sides after the 3-0 mauling from us.

3. The English press is subtlely/not-so-subtlely xenophobic, often criticising evil Johnny foreigners for diving etc, but usually blind to the obvious flaws of their own English heroes... perhaps explaining their love for the Mancs (in the past at least).

4. We are now the biggest provider of English national team players.

So considering all the above... Liverpool managed to provide 5 players in England's starting line up most recently, plus the slow decline at Old Trafford, plus the English press' and the FA's failings, plus how the press is now slamming Moyes' United and waxing lyrical over Rodgers' Liverpool, is Liverpool about to overtake the Mancs as the English press' and FA's favourite?

Could we possibly see a twist of fate for us?

• Upvote 2

The new media darling is Jose. The way he behaved after a potentially career threatening tackle was a disgrace and it was brushed under the carpet. Or how about the way he accused Suarez of diving after the most blatant penalty shout of the season only to see his own player booked for diving ONE game later. Swept under the carpet. No, the media darling is Jose not Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks,

First post here although I have been reading from this site for more than 10 years now (yes, I am extremely laid back and passive, preferring to let my more well-read and informed fellow Reds do the talking instead).

Just a random thought after reading the 'Premier League players who would improve us' article...

We all know that over the last 2 decades or so, the Mancs (pre-Moyes) became the darlings of the press with the advent of the Premier League and the all-invading influence of the likes of Sky etc... It is also fair to say that English national team over the same period more often than not consisted of Manc players (especially during the 90s'). This was in spite of how rightly rubbish some of them were and (in my opinion) were there because of they played for i.e. the Mancs. Good examples would be Phil Neville, Wes Brown and Nicky Butt.

It also helped the Mancs when Ferguson boycotted the BBC, thus resulting in the subsequent grovelling from the media as a result of not wanting to miss out juicy exclusives from the most successful English club during this period. As such, almost everyone in the press and the FA treaded ever so carefully for fear of upsetting their press favourite.

All these in turn helped the Mancs bit by bit with getting away with murder week in and out e.g. their foreign players getting work permits easily, Respect campaign etc.

And then this evil cycle repeated itself every year since i.e. the press loves them, the FA loves them, they get unfair advantages, they get more players into the national team, which makes the press and FA love them more and so on...

Now the following is going to be bit of a stretch, but be patient with me...

1. Ferguson is obviously 'gone' and possibly doesn't wield as much influence as he used to with the press.

2. The English press loves to build their heroes up and tear them down when the going gets tough. Moyes is now starting to receive flak from all sides after the 3-0 mauling from us.

3. The English press is subtlely/not-so-subtlely xenophobic, often criticising evil Johnny foreigners for diving etc, but usually blind to the obvious flaws of their own English heroes... perhaps explaining their love for the Mancs (in the past at least).

4. We are now the biggest provider of English national team players.

So considering all the above... Liverpool managed to provide 5 players in England's starting line up most recently, plus the slow decline at Old Trafford, plus the English press' and the FA's failings, plus how the press is now slamming Moyes' United and waxing lyrical over Rodgers' Liverpool, is Liverpool about to overtake the Mancs as the English press' and FA's favourite?

Could we possibly see a twist of fate for us?

What slow decline?

They've had 3/4's of a massively shit season, overseen by a man who should have a mental health assessment soon, if only for his own sake. A decline is terminal, unremitting, not one season. It's been beautiful to watch admittedly, but they are still inordinately wealthy and if they do so please they will spend a fuck load next season to help themselves buy back in to the top tier.

I hope that the slump is unremitting, brutal and something the gods of Olympus would consider outre, but lets just enjoy their shit season and hope for more, many more! Let's stay away from the hubris and hyperbole though shall we? It makes us no better than them, and the blueshite, and could certainly come back to haunt us when we realise our foundations aren't as secure as we'd hope.

Anyway, now that's off my chest anybody want to talk about fiscal policy?

Nicely reasoned, but no. The majority of the British press are arch-Thatcherites and instinctively hostile to the city of Liverpool. Even my paper of choice, the Grauniad, once gave room to a hack to accuse the people of Kirby (sic) of being relentlessly maudlin over Jamie Bulger in a way that the people of Manchester would never have been. I wonder how Myra Hindley fitted in to that thesis. When even the Reading fucking Chronicle can't resist a Pavlovian dig over Hillsborough, you know we're never going to get an even break from the national media.

• Upvote 1

The Mancs aren't dead yet. They may never have the same power they did the last 20 years but they are way too big a beast to ever disappear off the face of the earth. All they need is a top European coach, if they were bought by some wealthy Middle East consortium they would be powerful again. That's why you need to enjoy this Moyes stuff while it lasts.

Nicely reasoned, but no. The majority of the British press are arch-Thatcherites and instinctively hostile to the city of Liverpool. Even my paper of choice, the Grauniad, once gave room to a hack to accuse the people of Kirby (sic) of being relentlessly maudlin over Jamie Bulger in a way that the people of Manchester would never have been. I wonder how Myra Hindley fitted in to that thesis. When even the Reading fucking Chronicle can't resist a Pavlovian dig over Hillsborough, you know we're never going to get an even break from the national media.

Spot on mate. The fact is Liverpool is a very un-English city in every way. The stereotypes they have about us are straight out of Victorian attitudes to the Irish. The death of Jamie could have happened in any British city but heaven forbid journalists would think it. Alot of the press can't stand us having success. However, they may begin to begrudgingly accept we have a boss football team and grow to like our English players like they adore Stevie.

More success = more press attention

The hacks we'ren't sucking on Taggart's pecker for years because he was thoroughly decent chap and all round good egg, The public want stories about winners and to get those stories Taggart ensured they wrote nice things . We have to win stuff again

Should post more.