You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is anyone else sick of this 'Liverpool won't be able to cope with CL' bollocks?

aladdinsane

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Zero? Oh right... hence the total absence of any debate over who should play in the midfield over the last couple of weeks... Starting Allen was the only option.

It's pretty close, isn't it? I mean, it's not like we can do what a lot of other clubs in the CL can do. I wish we could say 'let's rest Sturridge and play Negrado' or 'Let's rest Suarez and play Aguero/Silva/Navas/Nasri'. Maybe there are a few areas where, when everybody is fit, there's the option to play Lucas or Allen or Sakho or Agger. In general, it's pretty thin.

Allen, who's been roundly ridiculed on these boards virtually all season, and will be again as soon as he has a shit game.

As for the injury situation, nobody is saying we've had no injuries all season, but we've always had the bulk of our decent attacking players and Gerrard available for most of the season. Don't see the point in going through the squad's entire injury record to prove a point.

Bizarre thread, it's like some kind of mass hysteria where anyone who doesn't agree is letting the side down.

You talked about glaring deficiencies in defence and midfield and then spoke about how we've been lucky with injuries.

I think it's fair to point out the link by saying we haven't had a settled defence all season due to injuries.

A lot has been made of our weak squad this year but, people seem to be ignoring the fact that we have three decent squad players out on loan. If you swap Borini, Suso and Wisdom for Aspas, Moses and Cissokho we look stronger straight away. 

If we can add some more versatile players too such as Coentrao, and then a player to strengthen our midfield, possibly Gary Medel alongside a forward that is capable of playing anywhere across our front three, Alexis Sanchez maybe? that may be a bit too ambitious but somebody that would fit in to our system.    

I think some people are downplaying the mental aspect of the Champions League a bit here.  Pretty sure even when we had a better squad under Rafa when we were in it we fairly regularly dropped points in the league after European matches.  Partly the travel and partly due to getting up for another game so quickly after a big European game.

Even Ferguson had a bitch about having to play difficult games or away games after Champions League games.

It's also fairly obvious that the squad is a little light currently for competing in Europe.  Definitely one quality striker, another attacking midfielder, another central midfielder and probably a full back too.  Better back up keeper wouldn't go amiss either.  Be interesting to see what we decide to do with some of the young players out on loan.

Having said that I reckon we'd still do pretty well.  Anfield is famous for European nights for a reason.  Some away games might be a bit tricky though and Rodgers will find some European coaches a bit more difficult to out-outmaneuver than Moyes.

• Upvote 1

I'm concerned about the next 9 games not next seasons CL

Tony Gale can blow bubbles on SSN for all I care.

I'm sure there are moves going on to strengthen the squad during the break and we will be prepared

I know Bubbles well, and as much as Tony Gale is indeed a massive cock-sucker; I just don't see it happening. As for our ability to cope, I'm confident we'll continue to improve and shock a few people. We'll add players and the team under Rodgers will get better and better. We're at the start of a very exciting journey here.

Stating the obvious but as we are the squad is thin. Mourinho can bitch all he likes about being on holiday but if he had to try to satisfy expectations with the restrictions imposed by FSG on Rodgers then he wouldn't even take on the job.

The squad will be stronger with the CL money come the summer and we will be more prepared for the extra demands of the competition.

What worries me is this is world cup year and if we finish 4th what date would we have to play the qualifier?

Can't wait either.  Well, I can wait 9 games. And a World Cop,  But after that I definitely won't be able to do much waiting. 

Dunno about exceptionally lucky but it has been good that one of Suarez and Sturridge has been fit all season together with Gerrard, Skrtel, Henderson and Mignolet..  I'm with you that we'd have struggled this season as the squad is not well equipped for fighting on multiple fronts at the moment, as our cup performances have shown (although unlucky to get Man United and Arsenal away).  

Pretty much agree with this. I don't think we have fared much better or worse in terms of injuries than our main rivals. Arsenal are looking very thin now but the other two have more to fall back on. Suarez and Sturridge staying fit have been a massive plus. I would say Webb did for us in the FA cup not our performance.. 

We will need at least 2 top quality additions if we are to win the league and champions league next season, maybe even as many as 3.

Fuck me are we not going to win the domestic cups as well. Defeatist talk !

I'll raise you 4 top quality additions and a couple of bench warmers.

Any team in Europe will struggle to deal with our attack. We'll need to add some serious talent if we're to go far though. No chance we could go to a top team in Europe and do what we did against the Mancs without some quality additions (and luck)

But on the other hand, maybe we wont have to if we hit them fast and hard at home and win by 4 or 5 goals. 

Anyone want proof of how full of crap the Chief Helmet is?

These are the points totals the PL CL teams achieved the weekend after the Group Stage CL games:

Chavs - 13; Arse - 10; Mancs - 13; City - 12.

Over the same weekends - Liverpool - 12.

So - in other words, zero advantage, except perhaps over Arsenal, but that is misleading as they played two of the other CL teams the weekend after a CL game. 

Wanker. 

Anyone want proof of how full of crap the Chief Helmet is?

These are the points totals the PL CL teams achieved the weekend after the Group Stage CL games:

Chavs - 13; Arse - 10; Mancs - 13; City - 12.

Over the same weekends - Liverpool - 12.

So - in other words, zero advantage, except perhaps over Arsenal, but that is misleading as they played two of the other CL teams the weekend after a CL game. 

Wanker. 

Remember when a bunch of Liverpool fans used to go out of their way to kiss Mourinho's arse at any opportunity solely because some other Liverpool fans used to opine that the then Liverpool manager might have been better than him?

Great days.

We may way struggle in the CL with a relatively young squad and inexperienced manager. But the manager learns quickly and adapts. He's like the Borg.

Two or three seasons in it and we will be great, richer and able to attract better players. I'm all for the 2 players per position squad type thingy. Too big a squad and it almost stops youth flourishing.

I dont think football journos have any idea about momentum. None whatsoever.

Assuming the same squad next season, with the right additions, our great club will be on steroids. If we win the league this season, we'll be right back where we belong, and the players will realise they were destined to succeed at the worlds greatest ever football club.

We're due The Double

Why not next season??