You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tony Benn has passed away

stringvest

It's the same as any city to be honest mate, nice parts, shithole parts, good people and cunts.

Any idea of where you're thinking of?

No, not really. Several of my mates have moved there in the last few years and are loving it.

A lot will depend on what I decide to do workwise. Even half considering studying something, or failing that, going back to University.

No, not really. Several of my mates have moved there in the last few years and are loving it.

A lot will depend on what I decide to do workwise. Even half considering studying something, or failing that, going back to University.

Depending on where mates are and being able to get a room I'd recommend anywhere around Gloucester Road.

Loads of bars, pubs, places to eat and it's has more independent shops on one road than any other road in the country apparently.

Clifton is expensive and full of pretentious twats, Bedminster/Soundwell is cool but the traffic is abysmal and the wrong side of the city.

There's loads going on, a pretty right on socially aware scene, fit birds with big tits and plenty of good music whatever your taste.

Traffic is worse than the rent/house prices mind.

• Upvote 1

Depending on where mates are and being able to get a room I'd recommend anywhere around Gloucester Road.

Loads of bars, pubs, places to eat and it's has more independent shops on one road than any other road in the country apparently.

Clifton is expensive and full of pretentious twats, Bedminster/Soundwell is cool but the traffic is abysmal and the wrong side of the city.

There's loads going on, a pretty right on socially aware scene, fit birds with big tits and plenty of good music whatever your taste.

Traffic is worse than the rent/house prices mind.

Thanks mate. Gloucester road does ring a bell, pretty sure one of them is there.

The bit in bold is genuinely a fairly big reason for considering the move. Distinct lack of either where I am.

Thanks mate. Gloucester road does ring a bell, pretty sure one of them is there.

The bit in bold is genuinely a fairly big reason for considering the move. Distinct lack of either where I am.

Glos Rd would always be my preference out of anywhere here mate. It was just completely out of my budget so ended up buying about 5 minutes from it.

You should be able to find a decent sized double in a big Victorian house for about £400 a month including council tax and wifi. Maybe cheaper if you've mates already up here.

Don't get me wrong we've more than our fair share of knuckle dragging cunts here but I do like the city. Even if I get a bit bored at times.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One for LF:

http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/bristol-tony-benn-will-and-testament-screening-and-qa-tickets-12125901899?aff=eorg

It's also receiving a special screening at St George's Hall on 15th September for those of you in Liverpool who may be interested, and at 7 other places across the UK.

I'll no doubt be driving around 15 miles each way to find a cinema near here that will actually show it when it goes on general release in October.

• Upvote 3

Nice one mate.

Just got tickets for the 23rd in Bristol. If you need a place to stay and a beer?

Sound, nice one.  Almost certain I can make it - will PM you tomorrow to confirm for sure.

That first bit about a life is like dropping a pebble in water was hard to hear.

I hear you on that mate.  I was the same.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Galloway pulling at the heartstrings,  Certainly got me going.  One thing I will say as someone who knows his family, is that on the occasions I met him (mostly in the family setting), he was exactly as Galloway describes, a fantastic grandfather and a very kindly and very human human being.  I also witnessed the more steely side of his nature in a few of his talks (notably one benefit gig on behalf of free-speaking journalists all over the world).  His family are a huge credit to him, and are well aware of the genuine warmth most of the thinking British public had for him.

We'll be lucky to see such a man again.  

• Upvote 5

One for LF:

http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/bristol-tony-benn-will-and-testament-screening-and-qa-tickets-12125901899?aff=eorg

It's also receiving a special screening at St George's Hall on 15th September for those of you in Liverpool who may be interested, and at 7 other places across the UK.

I'll no doubt be driving around 15 miles each way to find a cinema near here that will actually show it when it goes on general release in October.

Watched this last night with Lizzie.

A fitting tribute to an incredible man. It was both moving and funny. Unfortunately it was bloody depressing to think we'll never have the likes of him again.

• Upvote 2