You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Eating at the table (urban dictionary not required)

Growing up we ate at the table pretty much every night with an occasional 'in front of the telly' tea if we were lucky. Now me and my missus have our main meal at the table even though it's just the two of us and have a chat and that afterwards. We probably eat in front of the telly about once a week for the main meal.

Talking to people I work with it seems this isn't the norm anymore even those with children.

What say you mighty GF are you part of the table master race or a 5 lap trays a week pleb?

I'm sure I read somewhere that council properties were built without dining rooms for about 20 years, the detrimental effect was such that they all have family dining areas now (I probably mean social housing don't i?)

Anyway, we ate as a family 7 times a week when I was a kid and it's what we try to do even now with ours at 14 months. She loves it and always eats well. I still love going back to mums for a good feed and a chat. And obviously taking the piss out of whoevers turn it is.

A mixture in our house. Until last year we ate off our laps quite often but we bought a bigger place since so now we try to eat at the table or breakfast bar.

The breakfast bar has been great for us. It's been really social and allows us to talk while the other is cooking. The kitchen has and extension so it's an L shape and the breakfast bar is on the leg, and so standing at the breakfast bar faces in to the kitchen allowing one to not get in way of the other when cooking.

We usually get the work shit convo sorted out before eating (we work in the same sector) and then it allows us better time in the evening and a calmer dinner. After we've been talking a while it just seems easier to stay there.

If we've cooked something nicer then it's defo the table and we try to set it a bit too.

Still, old habits die hard, if we're eating alone or it been a busy day then it can still be in front of the gogglebox.

A mixture in our house. Until last year we ate off our laps quite often but we bought a bigger place since so now we try to eat at the table or breakfast bar.

The breakfast bar has been great for us. It's been really social and allows us to talk while the other is cooking. The kitchen has and extension so it's an L shape and the breakfast bar is on the leg, and so standing at the breakfast bar faces in to the kitchen allowing one to not get in way of the other when cooking.

We usually get the work shit convo sorted out before eating (we work in the same sector) and then it allows us better time in the evening and a calmer dinner. After we've been talking a while it just seems easier to stay there.

If we've cooked something nicer then it's defo the table and we try to set it a bit too.

Still, old habits die hard, if we're eating alone or it been a busy day then it can still be in front of the gogglebox.

Dinner in the evening?

All kinds of wrong.