You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another Steve Gerrard thread

PestiRed

A lot of credit has to go to Brendan for playing him as the deepest midfielder as many (including myself) were advocating he play further forward and some (you know who you are) were advocating dropping him all together. But after the Villa home wobble he looks like he has been playing the role for years and has been a revelation in his new role.

If Robbie is God I dont know what that makes Steve, all I know is hes very stevenish, only fitting tribute would be to rename merseyside after him, Gerrardshire, then invade neighbouring shires and take over the whole bloody world.

Jesus, the son of god!!

In my book I think Gerrard will go down as our greatest ever. You lose count of the times he has carried this club and the lost causes he has chased and won. Istanbul and the Cup Final against West Ham are top of the list. Fuck knows what he would have achieved had he been around back in the glory years. No one deserves to lift that trophy more . 

In my book I think Gerrard will go down as our greatest ever. You lose count of the times he has carried this club and the lost causes he has chased and won. Istanbul and the Cup Final against West Ham are top of the list. Fuck knows what he would have achieved had he been around back in the glory years. No one deserves to lift that trophy more .

In my book he already is.

The image of him lifting the trophy I have in my head is incredible; I can only imagine what the reality would be like.

I'd go so far as to say he's plying his best football since 03/04, too. Outstanding season, hopefully a lot more to come from him, too.

If Steven had acted on some fans' advice and 'bought a booking' in the Sunderland game to ensure he was able to play in the Man City game, he wouldn't have been available for the West Ham game and wouldn't have been on the pitch to score the winning penalties. Would you have trusted anyone else to ignore the pressure and slot home both pens? 

• Upvote 2

He's brilliant.  When he and Lucas were playing together, they were both doing half a job each.  Now Gerrard is doing the whole sitting role plus the quarterback role, and excelling at both.  It's effectively given us an additional body back in the team.  

If Steven had acted on some fans' advice and 'bought a booking' in the Sunderland game to ensure he was able to play in the Man City game, he wouldn't have been available for the West Ham game and wouldn't have been on the pitch to score the winning penalties. Would you have trusted anyone else to ignore the pressure and slot home both pens?

I thought that was sensible to be honest. But then I looked at his recent record and saw that he'd gotten his yellows in quick succession and that he was capable of being 'clean' for a good run. Fair play to him.

It is great to see him in his new role. He has grown better and better at it, and he is dominating teams from deep. His range of passing is superb. The only thing you can do as the opposition is to press and harry him, but even then he usually gets it to someone else and a new attack begins. He can play in this role for a few more years yet. 

He is one of the very best to ever play the game. You can find players who were slightly faster, slightly more skillful, etc. but you would be hard pressed to find one player who had the lot like Stevie. After staying faithful to Liverpool when he could have gone elsewhere, it would be lovely if his last few years were the most successful of his whole career.

My favourite player of all time, I love everything about the man. We really need to win these 5 games for him, that's not to say he won't be the one giving the most the last 4 months he's been like a man possessed doing his very utmost to realise his dream. It say's a lot about the man that in a space of 2 weeks he became the best defensive midfielder in the league. I'm going to cry my eyes out with joy if he's raising that trophy come May, it's an image that has virtually consumed my mind since the Cardiff game.

Stevie G's ranked 2nd in the premier league on who scored.com in terms of his performances and they give ratings for every performance from every single player in the league. He's also in the European XI alongside Rakatic in midfield, with Messi and Suarez up front.

Do you remember all that shit about him not being clever enough to be disciplined etc. What a load of fucking bollocks that was.

Some people buy into any old shite that's peddled at them by people with agendas to satisfy. Never in any doubt for me. And this manager isn't threatened by Gerrard - he genuinely wants to get the best out him that he can for the team while he's still able to play. And he's certainly doing that.

Gerrard was fantastic today.

• Upvote 2