You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another Steve Gerrard thread

PestiRed

Great article

A tribute to the man that is both considered and critical

Rafa comes out well in terms of understanding the player better than the player himself and better than most fans

There was a minority on here who made the same argument for many years about his ability to play central mid - more often than not to a cacophony of abuse from the majority of emotionally charged knee-jerkers on the site

• Upvote 2

Houllier has no claim on that European cup. The fact that Garcia and Alonso were massive parts of that campaign, Garcia scoring most of the goals blows that shite out of the water.

Gerrard has definetly matured more as a captain in his later years, and i think the writer is correct that he realises he is on the other side of the mountain in regards to his career, the fact that he has took to the withdrawn role so well is credit to his ability and professionalism.

We will miss him when he retires.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's been absolutely brilliant in the deep role that nobody thought he could play. Sublime footballer. I'd safely name him our best ever.

I think that was a superb article and I love the guy. I don't agree that he has been brilliant though. He had two really brilliant games there, a couple of terrible ones and a handful of okay ones.

• Upvote 1

I think that was a superb article and I love the guy. I don't agree that he has been brilliant though. He had two really brilliant games there, a couple of terrible ones and a handful of okay ones.

I agree he hasn't been superb, but he has mostly done well, he's had a couple of great games.  

I hope you aren't including the Villa game in the terrible ones, as that wouldn't really be fair given he was in a midfield two and out numbered.

"Your problem is you run around too much." That made me smile. Gerrard had never heard that before, until Benitez.  It's a really rich and enlightening article I think. The interviews that have come out in the last week about Suarez and Gerrard have been top top top reads.

Great article; wonderful player.

Think it hits the nail on the head a couple of times, firstly about his anxiety, secondly about how Benitez freed him up so well, initially playing him on the right and thirdly, pointing out he’s scored more league and international goals than Giggs, Scholes and Beckham…and he’s still going!

I think many, both in and out of the Club, forget just how good he was in, say 2003-5. Yes, he was class after that ('09 Footballer of the Year), but in 03-05 he wasn't in a brilliant side, at times a downright dire one, yet every week he seemed to do something spectacular to win us a game.

For an illustration of this, next time you've absolutely fuck all to do, put LFCTV on and hope it's that 'Goal Rush' thing they do. I watched it the other month and it was about 20 minutes of Gerrard twatting one in from 30 yards every week. Basically what Bale did for the second half of last season, for three or four years, and often in the very biggest games. I mean how many other players have scored in the final of the Champions League, FA Cup, UEFA Cup and League Cup, in addition to bagging crucial a load of crucial goals against their biggest local rivals?

As for right now - we need to stop expecting that Gerrard to suddenly pitch up. He isn't going to. A decade of playing in a predominantly shite team through injuries, combined with his age sees to that.

I still think he's a good player for us now. Yes, he can occasionally be a key part in us being swamped in midfield, but name me a 33 (and not far off 34) year old that’d adequately cover the amount of grass we ask him to. I blame the system and set-up, as much, if not more, than him for that.

I'm not a huge fan of these OPTA Stats. I think they can be misleading and are basically ammunition for the FIFA-playing; non-football watching muppets, but purely for illustrative purposes...

This season, in the League, Gerrard has, excluding penalties, had a direct hand (i.e. – goals and direct assists) 11 goals, excluding his penalties. Not bad at all, especially given he’s been playing deeper.

Add in penalties, a skill in itself, and or evidence of that, see Gerrard’s nerveless ones against Fulham and Stoke and Sturridge’s against Everton - he’s had a hand in 17 of our goals. That’s not far off 25%. Or, put another way, the same as Allen, Couthino, Moses and Sterling put together.

I don’t write that to slag those four off, simply to show what a massive impact he still has for us today. It’ll be a big hole to fill when he’s gone…

you only need to see the natural frown that Gerrard wears to really understand that he feels the anxiety emanating associated with the burden of expectation on him personally. He is held in the highest regard by me and many others.

This. What a player, and what a man.

• 4 weeks later...