You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another Steve Gerrard thread

PestiRed

now that Gerrards gone, I can't remember a liverpool team so divoid of characters or players i can identify with, it really is the end of an era. When I see frauds like dj loveren and that sterling (greedy little fraud) in a liverpool shirt t makes my blood boil.

goatboys match report/steven gerrard report. spot on as usual

Downtrodden, red-faced, a tormented laughing stock — that about covers it.

Not Gerrard’s career obviously, but as a description of this scandalous season it’ll serve until someone thinks of a better one.

Make all the excuses you want about the overwhelming occasion but these were professionals losing 3-1 (again!) to a team a long way behind and with nothing to play for. Perhaps the overdose of sugary-sweet hyperbole set their immune systems all of a dither?

The abject truth may well be this is the shape of things to come and that Gerrard, once a giant amongst minnows, is making his escape like any other Hollywood hero; just seconds before the whole building explodes.

Farewells aren’t for the likes of me, what’s left of the bones turned to powder by cynicism and pessimism. He’s been a great player, of course he has, and even if mythology isn’t your bag and you remember all those Stevie Me moments one truth is inescapable; when you’re that good it’d be impossible to stay humble.

But he’s another modern Giant leaving without a title medal. What was once the exception is now the norm, an agonising present poised to become the unforgiving future. Immediate or long-term, take your pick.

His last working day at Anfield was abject. How could it be anything else? There was no more glory to be had so just sink to depths that even glowing Utopian Roy Hodgson would describe as a tad murky.

The club is left with Greatness that is all talk now. Watching the Champions League games reminds you of where Liverpool ought to stand, but it’s a corner shop either bulldozed by Progress or that can’t work out where the rest of the world got to.

That’s hard to confess whilst wary of the perennial gloating from those who’ve waited decades for revenge and now have it in spades. There’s many a stout defence of the Reds borne from obstinacy and a chronic distaste for the cut of the nouveau jib.

There are catcalls from has-beens even more irrelevant than ourselves. Sorry, we’re not taking lectures about going over the top from people who gave Moyes a guard of ‘honour’ for 12 years of nothing and running down his contract to join United.

Others more powerful were equally shabby and obsessed, spoilt brats with their “Waaaaah! We don’t want anyone else getting attention, waaaaah!” Tough. The cream of football, like Pirlo, Maldini and (yes) Mourinho, can all see it so there’s nothing left to offer here.

What? The match? I’m sooooo glad you asked. It absolutely stank. A couple of players may be able to look us in the eye but most will have dressed quickly and found a dark corner to skulk in.

If they had any decency, obviously, which they don’t.

Maybe they’re still trying to work out how many formations they were asked to play in. Was it four? Five? I stopped counting after an hour.

Questions are already circulating about what another coach could make of all this, but the £120 million spent looks like something from a bad joke shop to trick the dimmest of suckers into believing it’s real.

Anfield put on a show but it was too tacky, too showbiz, too much smoke and too many mirrors. It fooled nobody.

There was a lap of ersatz honour, a microphone shoved into poor Steven’s mush and a cynical pitch for the “bright future”. Apparently. I never saw it as my teeth were screaming for mercy and my throat for a drink by then.

Ungrateful and treacherous? Perhaps, but sentiment was always my weakness and I could never bear to see one of God’s creatures in pain — never mind 40,000 of the buggers.

Thanks for everything, lad. You’re well out of it now. Lucky sod…

• Upvote 1

To all my fans,

Saying goodbye hasn't been easy.

Liverpool Football Club has been such a massive part of my life since I was eight years old and I know how much I'm going to miss it.

It's been an emotional time for my family and I with my final game at Anfield against Crystal Palace and then my last appearance away to Stoke City.

But I've been blown away by the send-off I've been given by the supporters and I'd like to thank every one of you. It's been very humbling and it's something I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

It's been an absolute privilege to represent this football club for so long.

When I was a kid, kicking a ball around in Ironside Road in Huyton, all I ever wanted to do was play for Liverpool. I dreamed of pulling that shirt on just once.

I never thought I'd get close to achieving that so to be able to look back on a first-team career of 710 appearances spanning 17 years I'm immensely proud.

I've loved every minute of playing for the best supporters in the world.

It's been an amazing journey. There have been some glorious highs and some crushing lows, but throughout you have given me fantastic support and I'll never forget that.

The highs have been all the sweeter because they have been achieved with my boyhood club. We have shared those special moments together.

Of course the pinnacle of my career arrived in Istanbul 10 years ago. That was the best night of my life. When I lifted the European Cup, there was no prouder man on the planet.

It meant so much to me to deliver that trophy for you. The supporters played such a big part in helping to inspire that famous comeback against AC Milan. I'll never forget how they helped to lift our chins off the floor after that nightmare first half.

People have often asked me about the pressure on my shoulders to deliver for Liverpool but I've never seen that as a burden. There's been huge responsibility on me but I've always loved and embraced that.

It's been a massive honour to be captain of this club for so long. I've always given my best and tried to lead by example.

I've been very fortunate to play alongside some incredible players and for managers who have all helped me to improve and develop. I'm proud of what I've given back - the sacrifices, the dedication and the loyalty over the years.

But more than anything I feel incredibly lucky to have had the opportunity to play in front of these fans for so long.

Liverpool is my home and I love this city. But I believe the time is right to open a new chapter as I prepare to move to America.

I want to keep playing every week in the final few years of my career and I'm looking forward to embarking on a new challenge with Los Angeles Galaxy in the MLS.

I'll be away for the next couple of years but this isn't the end of my long association with Liverpool FC. I've been a supporter all my life and that will continue.

I hope to get the opportunity to come back and serve the club again one day. I feel that I can make a contribution in some role in the future.

But today is all about looking back and saying thank-you to the fans for the magnificent support you have given me over the past two decades. You have helped me to fulfil my dreams over and over again and given me memories I wouldn't swap for anything.

Thank you.

Steven Gerrard

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/185915-gerrard-pens-letter-to-liverpool-fans

YNWA Stevie lad.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
On 18/05/2015 at 20:12, KevieG said:
goatboys match report/steven gerrard report. spot on as usual

Downtrodden, red-faced, a tormented laughing stock — that about covers it.

Not Gerrard’s career obviously, but as a description of this scandalous season it’ll serve until someone thinks of a better one.

Make all the excuses you want about the overwhelming occasion but these were professionals losing 3-1 (again!) to a team a long way behind and with nothing to play for. Perhaps the overdose of sugary-sweet hyperbole set their immune systems all of a dither?

The abject truth may well be this is the shape of things to come and that Gerrard, once a giant amongst minnows, is making his escape like any other Hollywood hero; just seconds before the whole building explodes.

Farewells aren’t for the likes of me, what’s left of the bones turned to powder by cynicism and pessimism. He’s been a great player, of course he has, and even if mythology isn’t your bag and you remember all those Stevie Me moments one truth is inescapable; when you’re that good it’d be impossible to stay humble.

But he’s another modern Giant leaving without a title medal. What was once the exception is now the norm, an agonising present poised to become the unforgiving future. Immediate or long-term, take your pick.

His last working day at Anfield was abject. How could it be anything else? There was no more glory to be had so just sink to depths that even glowing Utopian Roy Hodgson would describe as a tad murky.

The club is left with Greatness that is all talk now. Watching the Champions League games reminds you of where Liverpool ought to stand, but it’s a corner shop either bulldozed by Progress or that can’t work out where the rest of the world got to.

That’s hard to confess whilst wary of the perennial gloating from those who’ve waited decades for revenge and now have it in spades. There’s many a stout defence of the Reds borne from obstinacy and a chronic distaste for the cut of the nouveau jib.

There are catcalls from has-beens even more irrelevant than ourselves. Sorry, we’re not taking lectures about going over the top from people who gave Moyes a guard of ‘honour’ for 12 years of nothing and running down his contract to join United.

Others more powerful were equally shabby and obsessed, spoilt brats with their “Waaaaah! We don’t want anyone else getting attention, waaaaah!” Tough. The cream of football, like Pirlo, Maldini and (yes) Mourinho, can all see it so there’s nothing left to offer here.

What? The match? I’m sooooo glad you asked. It absolutely stank. A couple of players may be able to look us in the eye but most will have dressed quickly and found a dark corner to skulk in.

If they had any decency, obviously, which they don’t.

Maybe they’re still trying to work out how many formations they were asked to play in. Was it four? Five? I stopped counting after an hour.

Questions are already circulating about what another coach could make of all this, but the £120 million spent looks like something from a bad joke shop to trick the dimmest of suckers into believing it’s real.

Anfield put on a show but it was too tacky, too showbiz, too much smoke and too many mirrors. It fooled nobody.

There was a lap of ersatz honour, a microphone shoved into poor Steven’s mush and a cynical pitch for the “bright future”. Apparently. I never saw it as my teeth were screaming for mercy and my throat for a drink by then.

Ungrateful and treacherous? Perhaps, but sentiment was always my weakness and I could never bear to see one of God’s creatures in pain — never mind 40,000 of the buggers.

Thanks for everything, lad. You’re well out of it now. Lucky sod…

What Klopp has done and where we are compared to where we were is absolutely incredible. I 'know' that already, but when you see stuff like the above, it really makes you appreciate just how special a manger he is.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, the chimp said:

What Klopp has done and where we are compared to where we were is absolutely incredible. I 'know' that already, but when you see stuff like the above, it really makes you appreciate just how special a manger he is.

Absolutely. Klopp is so good that even when he doesn't get money to spend and the team are falling apart with injuries he still gets you into the Champions League. And while all the focus is on giving Mo Salah sacks full of cash,Klopp is the man who really deserves it as much as anybody.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Section_31 said:

FB_IMG_1634138432267.jpg

This artist had a chance to immortalise Stevie and clearly has some artistic talent, and yet he's tried to morph him into 1970s Jimmy Hill and chosen an image of him from his last season (when we had that terrible Warrior kit) rather than 2005-2010 peak Stevie. It's like that fella who was commissioned to produce a bust of the Portuguese preener and created something that looked more like the head from Art Attack.

• Upvote 3

The artist needs to go over that with white paint and start again.  Should be of Stevie lifting the European cup ffs. Not from one of the worst seasons in living memory with that shocker of a kit and the 8 that looks like two giant bog rolls.  

Ffs why doesn't he just paint the slip while he's at it  

12 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

The artist needs to go over that with white paint and start again.  Should be of Stevie lifting the European cup ffs. Not from one of the worst seasons in living memory with that shocker of a kit and the 8 that looks like two giant bog rolls.  

Ffs why doesn't he just paint the slip while he's at it  

Isn’t there already one of Istanbul?

IMO, Cardiff’06 Should be the next one. 

1D8AC338-1703-4915-8AD2-F19270DE9B7F.jpeg

Or Olympiakos. The technique & concentration shown in that picture is incredible. 

CA9C680E-27F2-40D6-BBBD-2A552638CCF9.jpeg

Or just for a laugh…

D9AF462C-9924-4FBB-964F-2E1DFECE9050.jpeg

5288F12B-14FE-42B0-8B9C-F4B641DAF27A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Isn’t there already one of Istanbul?

IMO, Cardiff’06 Should be the next one. 

1D8AC338-1703-4915-8AD2-F19270DE9B7F.jpeg

Or Olympiakos. The technique & concentration shown in that picture is incredible. 

CA9C680E-27F2-40D6-BBBD-2A552638CCF9.jpeg

Or just for a laugh…

D9AF462C-9924-4FBB-964F-2E1DFECE9050.jpeg

5288F12B-14FE-42B0-8B9C-F4B641DAF27A.jpeg

Anything would be better than what was painted.