You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another Steve Gerrard thread

PestiRed

Feel absolutely gutted for our captain today. Nobody wants this title more than him, so undeserved that his mistake lost us such an important match. He could´t really cope with his mistake today, lost his head in the second half. Hope he gets it out of the system before the next match and that his mistake doesn´t prove as costly in the ends as it seems now.

Absolutely gutted for him. Lets hope he can allow those around him to help him find some perspective for what happened today and get him ready to lead us into the Palace game next weekend.

I'll admit I'm slightly worried about his mental state after that. He's the type of person to really dwell on a possibly season-defining mistake like that and let it eat away at him. He's been absolutely fantastic for most of the season but we all know he'll massively blame himself if we don't win the league now.

I'll admit I'm slightly worried about his mental state after that. He's the type of person to really dwell on a possibly season-defining mistake like that and let it eat away at him. He's been absolutely fantastic for most of the season but we all know he'll massively blame himself if we don't win the league now.

It'll haunt his career if we don't win it

I don't think you can say it's his fault Vlad, we weren't at the races anyway IMO and we were always in danger of being hit on the break. If the mistake had come in the 80th minute and we'd been at their throats maybe.

This.

It's not solely his fault that this was the first time we didn't score in a game since October.

For a start, the third best player in the world was anonymous. I'm not slating Suarez, just pointing out that we still had 45 minutes to turn this around but never really looked like doing so.

Gerrard's status is beyond question, even if he drops his kecks and takes a dump on the Kop.

But, despite all this, he must feel like total shit today.

Stevie had a very poor game yesterday, but I'm just sad that it happened to him of all people. The bloke doesn't owe us anything. If anything, we owe it to him to let him know how much we love him.

Luis was terrible yesterday. It was more that Chelsea doing a professional job on him, he was just totally annonymous and lost.

• Upvote 1

Stevie had a very poor game yesterday, but I'm just sad that it happened to him of all people. The bloke doesn't owe us anything. If anything, we owe it to him to let him know how much we love him.

Luis was terrible yesterday. It was more that Chelsea doing a professional job on him, he was just totally annonymous and lost.

Agreed Luis didn't perform and not because of their tactics, fair play for winning his award and he deserved it but it did irk me a bit seeing him so happy with it after we just lost the title.

Agreed Luis didn't perform and not because of their tactics, fair play for winning his award and he deserved it but it did irk me a bit seeing him so happy with it after we just lost the title.

Just lost the title!!!!!!!! The lad just got player of the year & last time I checked we where top. Give it a rest ffs.
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

What a man he is, these are quotes from last night's players' awards. So much admiration for Stevie I don't even know where to start. What a captain he is as well.

“Luis seems to be cleaning up at the moment, he's won everything, and we are lucky to have such a world-class talent like Luis playing here with us and helping us to great things and be successful,” Gerrard said.

“I have played with some top players over the years at this club, world class players but for me this player is in a league of his own.

“He is out there by a big distance and that is no disrespect to all the players I've played with, there has been some top talent for club and country, but this fella can do the lot, he is different to most footballers.

“He has a heart as big as anyone's and I don't have to mention his talent, you can see it out there and he is a fighter who doesn't give up.

“There is some disappointment looming around but if this fella stays around for a few more years I think there will be some really big nights.”

The Reds' title hopes were rocked by Crystal Palace's late fightback to force a 3-3 draw 24 hours earlier.

But Gerrard insists Brendan Rodgers' side, who are hoping for a favour off Aston Villa when they travel to Manchester City tonight, won't throw in the towel ahead of Sunday's final game against Newcastle United at Anfield.

“You never get too high when you win something and you never get too down when one slips away - literally slips away,” he added.

“We've made huge strides as a team and we will continue to fight all the way to the end.

“There is no doubt to bring Champions League football back is an unbelievable achievement as it is so difficult to achieve.

“We will have to wait and see how the final couple of games pan out but we'll keep our fingers crossed. The plan is to go and beat Newcastle. If it is not to be we keep fighting.

“I stand here really proud of my team-mates and have a huge belief that if this group of players stick together and we can make the right additions in the summer the future is bright for the club.”

You know why it hurts so much to lose the title this season, more so than the 08/09 season which seems a distant ago, I wanted to see this man lift the title, there is not a single footballer in the world that is more deserving of a league title than Gerrard, and it seemed like the time had finally come, now it probably won't ever come again, he gave his all this season, it would be an utter travesty to not see him get a league medal.

• Upvote 1