You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Continue a bit the budget debate, it is highly entertaining and I can finally find out, who negged me a few pages back for suggesting that it will be exactly the same as previous summers, limited funds plus sales and most of you will be disappointed.

I'd  be very surprised if our net spent is anything more than £25- £30m.

I'd even go a bit further and suggest that Rodgers will sign his contract after he has secured at least his primary transfer target. No way will he tolerate again a Willian, Mikitaryan, Salah, Koplyanka fiasco. But never say never.

I guess guided by those past experiences I have doubts lurking around this potential transfer. Given how we have spent recently, I'm apprehensive that this constitutes value for money.

My gut feeling is £8-10m and no more for Lallana and if that's not possible we shouldn't be prioritising him as our main transfer target.

8-10m for young gifted english talent? not a fucking chance. you pay through the nose for these types. milner downing lescott carrick carroll johnson all cost at least twice as much as they were worth.

the thing with lallana is hes 26, hes had a great season in a mid table team but hes an expensive gamble that must hit the ground running. being english and having played a fair bit of premier league football probably makes him less of a gamble than someone from abroad but it remains to be seen if he turns out to be ray houghton or paul stewart.

Really depends on what we do with Borini Suso Wisdom and Ilori as well as who leaves. If Brendan is happy enough with their quality to have in the squad and Agger Lucas Johnson etc all stay then I would say 3 top quality players is about right. Striker, midfielder (looks like Lallana) and full back.

8-10m for young gifted english talent? not a fucking chance. you pay through the nose for these types. milner downing lescott carrick carroll johnson all cost at least twice as much as they were worth.

the thing with lallana is hes 26, hes had a great season in a mid table team but hes an expensive gamble that must hit the ground running. being english and having played a fair bit of premier league football probably makes him less of a gamble than someone from abroad but it remains to be seen if he turns out to be ray houghton or paul stewart.

Houghton probably isn't a bad comparison for Lallana really.

Would love to see Mascherano back. But more in the same holding midfield role he has for Argentina because let's be honest Stevie won't play every game next season or the years to come.

But can he play that role. I don't remember him being able to pass that well or being very mobile, and Brendan doesn't seem to want his kind of midfielder. Maybe to manage our defence as centre half, otherwise I just don't see it, no matter how I loved him in Rafa's 2008-9 side.

*****The owners are a bunch of fucking cunts and just because Brendan and the players have been outstanding this year (thank the lord) it doesn't mean I forgot what happened last summer and in January.

We better be spending a fucking bucket load this year to strengthen the squad to give our manager the opportunity to succeed. We won't though. Because our owners and CEO are a bunch of wankers.

Stupid fucking bastards.******

Just putting the above here to save myself time when it gets to the end of the summer and we're left with a couple of signings and five Chelsea rejects on loan...and everybody is shocked, as if it hasn't happened time and time before.

• Upvote 1

But can he play that role. I don't remember him being able to pass that well or being very mobile, and Brendan doesn't seem to want his kind of midfielder. Maybe to manage our defence as centre half, otherwise I just don't see it, no matter how I loved him in Rafa's 2008-9 side.

Were you watching the same Mascherano as me? Not very mobile!!!!! He was fucking everywhere was Masch. I'll let you have his lack of passing, but to say he wasn't very mobile, that's just wrong.

• Upvote 3

I bet Cardinal's "scoop" is what a lot of the reputable journo's are reporting on Twatter.

That the budget will be less than people expected, in the region of £40m plus whatever is generated from sales. Can't say I'd be happy with that, to be fair

Isn't the Champions League worth an extra £40 million alone?

The owners are in danger of really fucking this up. This summer would be the perfect time to set us up for both the short and long term future. They had a let off in January as the teams performances in the second half of the season got them off the hook, but if they don't invest heavily now and really back Rodgers, then serious questions must be asked. 

Were you watching the same Mascherano as me? Not very mobile!!!!! He was fucking everywhere was Masch. I'll let you have his lack of passing, but to say he wasn't very mobile, that's just wrong.

You are right, of course. What I really meant was that I see him more as a ball retriever who then gives it to someone else to either run with the ball or pass it.

There must be games when we could use that kind of midfielder, especially in Europe, and he can also do a first-class job in defence. I'd meet him at the airport for that versatility alone.

Brendan Rodgers did his post match press conf on Sunday and commented on how small the squad is. He has even gone as far as saying we need 5/6 players to be added to the squad. Tonight, that piece in the Guardian, he says he'd rather sign 2 quality players that can make a difference than 7/8 players that won't make a difference. What's changed since Sunday? The fact remains we need at LEAST 2/3 to come in and be starters and 3/4 to supplement the squad.

I'd expect us to sign 4 quality players, and maybe 2 loan signings to round out the squad.

Isn't the Champions League worth an extra £40 million alone?

The owners are in danger of really fucking this up. This summer would be the perfect time to set us up for both the short and long term future. They had a let off in January as the teams performances in the second half of the season got them off the hook, but if they don't invest heavily now and really back Rodgers, then serious questions must be asked. 

Might want to consider expenditure when looking at income. We've made almost 100 million pounds worth of losses over the last 2 years. The sponsorship deals we are signing should mitigate that a bit going forward, but we still likely won't be operating at a profit even with Champions League football.

I also don't understand why people are confused by Rodgers comments. It's plainly obvious we need 5 or 6 players, but buying 5 or 6 backups at 10 mill a pop isn't going to actually fill the quota of players we need and make us better. 2 top quality players for big money followed by 1 or 2 more in January would be far better. Hopefully it's 3 players we get, and Lallana is the worst of them. I'd much prefer that to 6 squad players.

In terms of Mascherano, I thought he was very good next to Alonso. He could concentrate on defending, while Alonso was always available for the short give to be the one to dictate the tempo. When Alonso left, I think his play deteriorated. He was required to do more offensively, and he just wasn't any good at it.

If he came he'd be a backup, assuming his role was to be a DM. Though to be honest I don't think he suits a system that doesn't play with another more creative sitting midfielder, especially as he's probably not as athletic as he used to be. And Rodgers isn't going to play him and Stevie both as holders in our system, while neither have what it takes to play opposite Henderson as the other controlling mid. We don't need backups, we need first teamers.

Still waiting for another link to Kovacic. There's no other box to box mid with a profile more perfect for our system than him. Hopefully waiting for the Serie A season to finish. I'm sure i'll be disappointed when it doesn't happen. 3 assists on the weekend, and will be the best in his position in two years.

I don't think we'll have a budget as such, more like if a player becomes available, the 'committee' will have to convince the money men.

I don't believe a word of this £40m budget stuff, sounds like certain people have briefed and we've put a number out just to make sure we aren't fleeced.

• Upvote 2

Might want to consider expenditure when looking at income. We've made almost 100 million pounds worth of losses over the last 2 years. The sponsorship deals we are signing should mitigate that a bit going forward, but we still likely won't be operating at a profit even with Champions League football.

If we're not profitable once we've had a full year of the new tv deals, new sponsorships, prize money from high league finish and CL money - and a few more quid capitalising on all this from merchandise then we might as well pack up! That's not going to be the case though.

£40m is too low a budget if we have any ambition. Especially as the Willian or Costa or Kono money, maximum 30m, still hasn't been spent from the last two windows.

If there is any truth in £40ml we shouldn't be signing Lalana. We have Coutinho and Sterling to play wide or behind the striker and Suso has done enough on loan to deserve a shot at being back up. A few academy players may be able to step up for cup games too.

The major issues is the back 4 and a back up striker with Sturridge fitness issue. Also fuck paying £5ml for a ressie keeper like whats been rumoured

I think people are being wildly optimistic talking about £60 million budgets, if anything the owners probably feel vindicated for not putting their hand in their pocket in January when in reality it was down to some players performing at maximum capacity for long periods, that was never going to last. Maybe if we had brought one or two players in rather then farting about we'd be sat as league champions with all the prize money that brings.

Don't think this has been posted yet, but I could be wrong

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-youngster-jake-brimmer-16-signs-threeyeardeal-with-english-premier-league-giants-liverpool/story-fnii0fc4-1226912371524

"Melbourne youngster Jake Brimmer, 16, signs three-year-deal with English Premier League giants Liverpool"

Don't worry. He'll have a shaved head in a few weeks.

The key thing that I'm hearing from Brendan is that he wants guys that he views as starters, rather than squad fillers. I'd be very happy if we had two big signings, a Mascherano or Remy etc for modest money and a free transfer or two like Cole. It's possible that we will get a few guys on loan as well. It's also possible that Brendan will keep some money in the pot for January if he needs to freshen things up. While I want new players, my concern is that we rip things up too much too quickly - for example the Coutinho, sterling, Suarez and Sturridge axis needs to be left alone.

I suspect there is a difference of preferred model between Rodgers and the rest of the committee. I think he wants players who are better than what we have, can go straight in and improve the first team, while they have been tasked with unearthing bargains and value transactions.

I think you can see that little battle starting to become clear from last year with the players who came in on loan and for £8M barely getting any game time, and he is perhaps making it clear early on this summer that more of the same wont be appropriate for the level we're now at.

If that is the case and I haven't read it wrong, I very much hope his ideas win out, as another influx of average players this summer would be a horribly retrograde step.

I suspect there is a difference of preferred model between Rodgers and the rest of the committee. I think he wants players who are better than what we have, can go straight in and improve the first team, while they have been tasked with unearthing bargains and value transactions.

I think you can see that little battle starting to become clear from last year with the players who came in on loan and for £8M barely getting any game time, and he is perhaps making it clear early on this summer that more of the same wont be appropriate for the level we're now at.

If that is the case and I haven't read it wrong, I very much hope his ideas win out, as another influx of average players this summer would be a horribly retrograde step.

Yep. The last couple of weeks of the season it was clear that Suarez and Sturridge were goosed. It became painfully obvious in the Chelsea game how limited the squad was when the manager had to throw on Aspas to try and get something from the game.