You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Lallana set to seal £20m Liverpool move

Adam Lallana will reportedly seal a £20 million move to Liverpool from Southampton next week, with the midfielder set to be named in Roy Hodgson's World Cup squad on Monday.

Despite interest from other clubs, the Daily Mail report that Lallana, who turned 26 on Saturday, has opted to join Brendan Rodgers' side.

It is believed Southampton see the transfer fee as fair value, with Lallana having progressed through their youth academy from the age of 12.

Rodgers was keen on Friday not to be seen to be commenting on another club's player, but said of Lallana: "Adam is a terrific young talent... there is always speculation about young talent."

The move is likely to be wrapped up before the England players report for manager Hodgson's pre-World Cup training camp in Portugal on May 19.

Lallana feels Hodgson's pre-tournament acclimatisation programme, which will take England from the Algarve to the fiercer temperatures of Miami, will leave them the best-prepared team in Brazil, where they will open their tournament against Italy in the Amazonian humidity of Manaus.

"We'll be as well-prepared as any other nation, if not more," Lallana told the Telegraph.

Lallana also insisted that England are not running scared of Italy. He added: "To win the World Cup you are going to have to beat the best at some point, so why not in the group phase? OK, in Euro 2012 we lost to Italy on penalties, but we have to remember it was a draw over normal time.

"We have a great chance of beating them. People might say it's a tough draw but I'm sure Italy are saying the same."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/306679.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

I'm not really sure about Lallana.  I'd like an extra player in centre midfield, and also think we could do with another wide player and centre forward.

Lallana can play wide or central in midfield - but that's also exactly where Coutinho plays.  If we are getting a new centre midfielder for £20 million then I'd prefer one who could play in one of the Hendo/Allen/Coutinho positions now, but also with the capability to drop back into the Gerrard role.

If we're getting a wide attacker I'd prefer one with a bit more pizzazz and goals able to fill in up front.  Seems like he'd be a decent squad option though, but for 20 millions you'd want a bit better than that.  Have to see what else happens I guess.

He's a quality left back.

I'm not sure that the Mancs are going to lift the title next season and Shaw will get player of the year though, so, £25m worth?  Na.

Southampton still conceded more goals than United this year, even with Shaw, and Lovren, so let's not go pissing our pants about what this means for the Mancs.

Keep on hearing this £32m for Costa to Chelsea rumour.  Is it worth getting involved at that price?  And, bearing in mind how good Atletico are, why would he leave them for anyone? 

Lallana, Shaw and Pochettino all looking likely to be off without much of a struggle. Things don't seem right at Southampton.

Debts of about £40m need to paid pronto, hence the firesale of a few key men, and hence why Pochettino is a bit gutted and wants out.

Oooh Shaw to the mancs

* feigns wobbly legs

The more of their limited cash they spunk on positions like that the better.

That's a lot of money for a full-back when they don't have a midfielder worthy of the name, and their two best centre halves are either leaving or set for retirement.

I'd have loved us to sign Shaw but there's no way we could allocate that sort of money to the full-back position when we are desperate for strengthening in so many areas. Hopefully we're able to scout a quality full-back for a much more reasonable fee, probably from overseas.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Should have been all over that if true.

Disagree. He'll not give them anything like £25m worth of improvement. I bet LVG won't even use him in the second half of the season.