You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Another vote for Carlos Vela here. 20 goals and 12 assists for Real Sociedad last season. Pacey, left footed, good technique, classy finisher. Do want.

I believe arsenal have a buy back clause with regards to Vela. Read it somewhere recently. Figure that was mentioned was 3.5 mill

That Dzagoev done much last year or so? Haven't watched him play for a while.

Another vote for Carlos Vela here. 20 goals and 12 assists for Real Sociedad last season. Pacey, left footed, good technique, classy finisher. Do want.

Aye. Was reading about him earlier as he was left out of Mexico's WC squad. Never realised quite how good he has been over there.

We really should just sign Rakitic now.

With 12 months on his contract he shouldnt cost that much either.

Just get it done

One year on his contract, we're talking 10-15M here or more? That'd be a more than decent price for him in my opinion.. but what do you see him as more of an attacking mid or centre-mid, Henderson-Allen-esque type? Me personally, the former..

Hes a creative general type isn't he?

Slightly deeper than Coutinho although his 21 league goals from the last 2 seasons suggest he spends a fair bit of time in the opposition box.

From what I've seen of him, which isn't a lot by any means, he's a bit like Allen but with better end product. He's more an attacking player than Allen but that type of ball player with good technique. But I think he could play at the side of a diamond too. He'd give us options. Good player but I understand the reservations as well. It's a tough one, have to trust the manager's judgement on it

He is absolutely nothing like Allen. The only thing they have in common is their profession.

Elaborate then. From what I've seen, he's a player who retains the ball well like Allen, passes it short like Allen, has good technical ability like Allen but is a more attacking and creative player than Allen

Ratikic is basically a better version of Henderson with more of an attacking threat/end product.  He wouldn't be a replacement for JH but would be a brilliant partner in crime ahead of Gerrard.  I'd love us to sign him.  I'd rather us go for Rakitic & Muller than Lallana.  The latter still would be a very good buy as he can play in midfield or as one of the front 3 but Ratikic is better and obv so is Muller.

Elaborate then. From what I've seen, he's a player who retains the ball well like Allen, passes it short like Allen, has good technical ability like Allen but is a more attacking and creative player than Allen

He scores and creates chances though doesn't he?

Some of you are really thick. A season ago when Cole was on the verge of quitting chelsea I suggested in this forum, that he would be a very good addition. I was called all sort of names and asked to get banned. Now some of you -and you know who you are- are suggesting the exact same thing, only a season later. Your girly behaviour is entertaining.

Anyway, he would be a good solution to our right back drunkness issues. If we could only find a replacement for Lucas and Aspas, as well.

Nighty, you can be a fairly boring sod.

Can you post the articles with the links, please? Especially when you're linking to sites with paywalls and limited monthly allowances.

Don't know how to or even if you can off an i phone. I thought only the times was a pay site.

Some of you are really thick. A season ago when Cole was on the verge of quitting chelsea  I suggested in this forum, that he would be a very good addition. I was called all sort of names and asked to get banned. Now some of you -and you know who you are- are suggesting the exact same thing, only a season later. Your girly behaviour is entertaining.  

Anyway, he would be a good solution to our right back drunkness issues. If we could only find a replacement for Lucas and Aspas, as well.

Well, last season, we would have had to pay money for Ashley Cole.  Which is totally retarded, and is a non-starter.

Now, he's available on a free-transfer, so it is actually starting to make a bit of sense to have a massive fanny like that rolling around in our transfer thread.

Do keep up.

First time I've ever watched that Croatian kid at Inter & he's set up two goals in the first half with great passes.

He's the most gifted Croatian player since Boban. I'd take him over Rakitic without thinking twice. Will be a far superior player in 2 years. As mentioned Rakitic is basically Henderson with much better set piece taking qualities.

Our impressive attacking performance this season made people ignore the fact that we have also conceded more goals than any other season the past... 20-30 years at least.

We need to improve the defence massively.

It's as though your brain is guided by laser.

The DEFENCE is what has been letting us down.

It was right under our noses all the time if we could only have seen it.

Not really enthused about most of the players we're being linked to this summer.

Last summer we were at least pursuing the likes of Willian, Costa, and Mkhitaryan.  This summer, when we have CL football and might be able to actually get those players, we've seemingly decided to go after Lallana, Caulker, Song, and Cole.  That list reads like what you'd expect Spurs or Everton to pursue.

I'm still holding out hope that these are all smokescreens for the real players who will turn out to be from the next bracket.  Rodgers has shown that he can take above average players and get very good results, now is the time to supply him with very good players and watch him deliver trophies.  He's said publicly that he's after starters, not squad players, so my hopes are still that we're really after the likes of Rodriguez, Muller, Reus, and Martinez.  Or, if we want to try to get a bit better value, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to going after the top bracket of 19-22 year olds like Kovacic, Moreno, Fischer, and Firmino.

Either way, we need to be out there challenging the top clubs (well, except perhaps for PSG/City/Chelsea) for the top players in Europe this summer, not conceding them to United, Arsenal, and Dortmund and settling for second-rate.  Rodriguez, Kovacic and Reus, for example, and we could be absolutely sensational next season, and that kind of window should be entirely possible for us.

• Upvote 1

Not really enthused about most of the players we're being linked to this summer.

Last summer we were at least pursuing the likes of Willian, Costa, and Mkhitaryan. This summer, when we have CL football and might be able to actually get those players, we've seemingly decided to go after Lallana, Caulker, Song, and Cole. That list reads like what you'd expect Spurs or Everton to pursue.

I'm still holding out hope that these are all smokescreens for the real players who will turn out to be from the next bracket. Rodgers has shown that he can take above average players and get very good results, now is the time to supply him with very good players and watch him deliver trophies. He's said publicly that he's after starters, not squad players, so my hopes are still that we're really after the likes of Rodriguez, Muller, Reus, and Martinez. Or, if we want to try to get a bit better value, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to going after the top bracket of 19-22 year olds like Kovacic, Moreno, Fischer, and Firmino.

Either way, we need to be out there challenging the top clubs (well, except perhaps for PSG/City/Chelsea) for the top players in Europe this summer, not conceding them to United, Arsenal, and Dortmund and settling for second-rate. Rodriguez, Kovacic and Reus, for example, and we could be absolutely sensational next season, and that kind of window should be entirely possible for us.

We didn't go after Willian or Diego Costa until August.

It's the 11th of May