You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Looking forward to revisiting this thread in 12 months time.

For what it's worth I think we'll sign Lallana and a left-sided attacking player in the Konoplyanka/Muniain mould. I can see us spending about £60 million; and maybe a fair bit more if the likes of Lucas and Johnson leave.

Why, it'll be boring, lots of people saying Lallana is a good player but questioning reported prices.

I agree with alot of your sentiment. You are right that we need to be targetting players that are better than what we already have in our starting line up and that this summer represents a big chance to bring in top quality players.

However, I do feel that Lallana is a very good player. For me, he's a far better player than Allen and if by signing him, we give further depth to midfield than I'll be very happy. Next season, we will really need to give Stevie alot less games to keep him effective. If we bring in Konoplyanka and a very good 3rd choice striker as well, then we have further options in midfield and attack. Our defence is the main priority for me and I'd like us to bring in two full backs and see how Ilori gets on when he comes back. Brendan needs to decide whether Skrtel and Sakho will ever work together and whether Ilori can play with either of them. Mignolet is a good keeper, but you could have Buffon in goal and he'd struggle to marshall our defence.

I've consistently said I think Lallana is a very good player. That's not the issue. The is he shouldn't be first choice when the opportunity is there to get better. He should be something like 3rd or 4th choice, but the fact we are looking to buy ASAP tells me he's first choice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10821002/Liverpools-Brendan-Rodgers-wants-to-sign-starters-not-squad-players.html

“The players we brought in last summer were young players and players to cover,” said Rodgers. “This season we need to bring in starters. One of the things watching the Manchester City game the other night is they are bringing on Jovetic who scores the goal (£23-24 million), Fernandinho (£29 million) and Negredo (£20 million). That level of player to bring into the game is massive for you and I think this year the reality is we’ve been unable to do that.

This article is exactly what I've been saying. Buy first team players, not squad players. It's good to see at least Brendan directly acknowledges this is the best way to build a top team. We've bought to improve the squad 90% of the time over the last decade+, which has been frustrating and kept us from pushing on.

• Upvote 2

Paper talk of a one year deal at 120,000 per week for Ashley Cole, Vorm to give Mignolet competition and Caulker because he has a relegation clause.

I was against getting Cole when we were linked a few weeks ago but after seeing him play against us and in recent games I think we should get him.

He still has his pace and looked hungry, cunt of a guy but good player.

• Downvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Paper talk of a one year deal at 120,000 per week for Ashley Cole, Vorm to give Mignolet competition and Caulker because he has a relegation clause.

If they're just coming in for squad building, I'd not be against that at all. However, we'd still need signings in the 'high quality, CL experienced' column. If we're spending big money, I want big players with experience at the highest level. Talking players like Muller, Kroos, Isco, Fernando level players.

I was against getting Cole when we were linked a few weeks ago but after seeing him play against us and in recent games I think we should get him.

He still has his pace and looked hungry, cunt of a guy but good player.

I agree with you, on a free it's a no brainer, he showed in that game at Anfield he's still got it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Cole in and Cissokho out is a massive improvement.

Enrique and Cole in the left hand side is much stronger than Flano backed up by Cissokho. Move Flano to the right, wave goodbye to Aly, and then bring in a top level right back. That's a lot of strengthening.

• Upvote 1

Honestly i wouldn't be adverse to John Terry coming here as well on a one year deal, if it was possible. He rates Brendan, and Cole and Terry would sort out our defence for at least the next year.

It would be interesting to see how John Terry does in a more attacking team without 3 holding players in front of him.

Honestly i wouldn't be adverse to John Terry coming here as well on a one year deal, if it was possible. He rates Brendan, and Cole and Terry would sort out our defence for at least the next year.

I want to say, "Bad Idea", but it just won't sum up what's happening in my brain at the moment... so...

120.gif

• Upvote 1

Ashley Cole's not even the type of cunt you can say "yeah but he's our cunt", he's just a massive tit that I wouldn't want anywhere near the club.  Top drawer wages for a player his age was something I thought we'd seen the end of too tbh.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Fuck Terry. Cole, for a year or two, I've no massive issue with that. He's a cunt but he's a good player who'd bring some much needed experience to a young side.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Our success with Chelsea cast-offs alternates - J. Cole, Sturridge, Moses. I'm therefore confident that the next one we take will be fantastic.

It says a lot about our current fullbacks options though, that an unfavoured player in a side below us would improve us immeasurably.

That's the major difference and the biggest challenge facing Rodgers. We can build a side over time, but the different level of resources allows them to have depth, and pay wages for those not playing, at a level we can't match. What will happen if we taken Cole? They'll go out and spend 20m on a left back. It's going to be tough.

That's the major difference and the biggest challenge facing Rodgers. We can build a side over time, but the different level of resources allows them to have depth, and pay wages for those not playing, at a level we can't match. What will happen if we taken Cole? They'll go out and spend 20m on a left back. It's going to be tough.

Yep, I think that's why people are so split over the reports of a bid for Lallana. Our pockets aren't bottomless, and with areas needing patching, as well as depth that needs adding overall, the £20m price tag seems like a gamble.

I'm just hoping the lure of CL football leads to swifter business being done than last year with regards our primary targets.

I was dead set against Cole at one point, but seeing us operate on a wing and a prayer at fullback has shifted my position considerably.

Cole, Kono or any of the decent players ending in 'ic" would be good.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Absolutely, BBN. I think people are right to be wary about Lallana, not because he's not a quality player because he is, but because if we overpay too much then it could represent a missed opportunity. The difference now is I think they're capable of getting the balance right. When they've said 'we're not paying more than X' with the likes of Salah, Willian, Sigurdsson, et al, they're generally not proven to be worth much more than what we were willing to pay.