You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Barkley, reus and coentrao and we're in decent shape.

I love your optimism. Though I don't think buying two attacking midfielders but no right back or defensive midfielder would be ideal.

Have we talked about the Micah Richards rumours yet?

I for one could see that as a shrewd piece of business.  Last year of his contract (and has already publicly refused to sign a new one), mates with Sturridge, turns 26 in the summer.  I really think that we're missing a trick if we don't get a new RB in the summer but we need a LB as well and somehow I doubt we'll want to spend £30 million on fullbacks.

Thus, a £5 million bid for Richards makes sense to me.  He would push for the move, undoubtedly, and could be a first choice RB backed up with Flanagan that would allow us to release/sell Johnson and dump that huge contract.  Plus, he'd be a capable backup for CB which would hopefully mean one less player needing to come in there, meaning more money we could put to the more important problem on defense - left back.

He's had his injuries but all around with Flanagan there to cover I think it makes sense unless he wants a huge payday salary-wise.

Guest LFD

I for one could see that as a shrewd piece of business.  Last year of his contract (and has already publicly refused to sign a new one), mates with Sturridge, turns 26 in the summer.  I really think that we're missing a trick if we don't get a new RB in the summer but we need a LB as well and somehow I doubt we'll want to spend £30 million on fullbacks.

Thus, a £5 million bid for Richards makes sense to me.  He would push for the move, undoubtedly, and could be a first choice RB backed up with Flanagan that would allow us to release/sell Johnson and dump that huge contract.  Plus, he'd be a capable backup for CB which would hopefully mean one less player needing to come in there, meaning more money we could put to the more important problem on defense - left back.

He's had his injuries but all around with Flanagan there to cover I think it makes sense unless he wants a huge payday salary-wise.

I agree, although I think a RB is more important than a LB, as we have Enrique coming back.

Although we could do with some good competition for him.

I for one could see that as a shrewd piece of business. Last year of his contract (and has already publicly refused to sign a new one), mates with Sturridge, turns 26 in the summer. I really think that we're missing a trick if we don't get a new RB in the summer but we need a LB as well and somehow I doubt we'll want to spend £30 million on fullbacks.

Thus, a £5 million bid for Richards makes sense to me. He would push for the move, undoubtedly, and could be a first choice RB backed up with Flanagan that would allow us to release/sell Johnson and dump that huge contract. Plus, he'd be a capable backup for CB which would hopefully mean one less player needing to come in there, meaning more money we could put to the more important problem on defense - left back.

worth a punt at 5m.

ben arfa too. both decent squad options.

No thanks.

I agree he's not the answer to all our problems, but do you not think we need a player to replace Johnson?  Are you advocating a bigger-money RB and LB as two of our priorities this summer?  Or is it just Richards in particular you're not keen on?

Guest LFD

The only doubt I have about Richards is his injury record.

He's strong, good in the air, good on the ball and I think he is good when he gets further forward.  

He was a real talent through the youths and I think Rodgers might fancy getting the best out of him.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I agree he's not the answer to all our problems, but do you not think we need a player to replace Johnson? Are you advocating a bigger-money RB and LB as two of our priorities this summer? Or is it just Richards in particular you're not keen on?

I deffo think we need fullbacks. Not keen on Richards. Think they're two of the main positions we need to fill. Right back especially. We need somebody who can stop crosses coming in, and defend crosses from the other flank, but also has good ability and pace in the oppositions half.

Have a feeling that Andre Wisdom coming back from loan will be just as good alternative to signing Micah Richards.

If we are bringing in full backs we need to add more on the attacking side in the way our team is set up.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's strong, good in the air, good on the ball and I think he is good when he gets further forward.

He was a real talent through the youths and I think Rodgers might fancy getting the best out of him.

He's a massive, broken, bear of a bloke. The time that he could have been a quality player has more than gone. Needs to lay off the 'roids.

Sooner have Wisdom than Richards.

Guest LFD

He's a massive, broken, bear of a bloke. The time that he could have been a quality player has more than gone. Needs to lay off the 'roids.

I agree it is a risk, probably one we shouldn't take unless he's a bargain.  

But I think if we can get him to stay fit he'd be a real asset.  

You are probably right that there are better options, which aren't such risks.

'Roids at 82kg and supposedly never lifted, only bodyweight. I know you're takin' the piss but still, should be done properly..

Guest Numero Veinticinco

'Roids at 82kg and supposedly never lifted. I know you're takin' the piss but still, should be done properly..

What?

Do I even lift, bro.

He's not good enough.