You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

We have champions league this is now the Time to go for genuine class players whose talent is intended to be straight in the first 11. It would be obscene to waste this chance to buy squad fillers especially Alberto and aspas type players. Through coaching and the managers ethos we've got more out of this side than I could of imagined now it's time to add quality to it.

• Upvote 1

Fuck 6 players, 2 top bracket players plus some of our loan lads back will do. Kovo will probably be one if them, I'd rather upgrade on him and spend the extra 10m to get rues or hamsik. Barkley will probably cost 15m more than he's worth but I would fucking love it just to piss off them bitter cunts.

Guest LFD

My worry is if we go for 5 or 6 million players we won't be going for the best.

We've got Ibe, Wisdom, Borini and Suso who can all potentially boost the squad as well.  

I'd rather we got three top quality players than spread our budget.

Stats are for quegs and Lallana isn't worth £25m.

All clubs look at the stats of a player with a fine tooth comb these days. From goals scored to far they run during each game. It shouldn't be the be all and end all when buying a player but they use stats to back their judgement, even though they can be deceptive and not give a full picture of how good a player is.

Surez, Agureo and Sturridge are the three top scorers in the league this season and they are the three best strikers. Torres has scored foul goals because he's basically been shit. Stats are only a part of a players suitability but i wouldn't discount them entirely.

Llanna is probably not worth 25 mil and i doubt we would pay anywhere near that figure straight up, the Carrol transfer ended that. i imagine it will be a down payment followed by add on's which increase the fee depending how successful he is. I think he's a good player who would fit in well,

I think attack minded players like Hazard, would love to come here. It's not just about stats it's about how players are utilised by their teams. Sturridge was played out of position at Chelsea so got fed up, seems like Hazard is too. I think it will make others think twice.

For what it's worth, I think we'll sign Nathan Redmond and I

would love us to go for Barkley.

My worry is if we go for 5 or 6 million players we won't be going for the best.

We've got Ibe, Wisdom, Borini and Suso who can all potentially boost the squad as well.  

I'd rather we got three top quality players than spread our budget.

I'd agree with that. The scattergun £5/6m level approach has blighted our transfer activiites for years, and as recently as last summer with Aspas and Alberto. Richards would be a clever acquisition at that money level though.

The owners need to ensure that the three main players we bring in are good enough to walk straight into the first XI.

Borini for Aspas will be a big improvement in itself. Will also be interesting to see what Illori can offer.

• Downvote 1

Alberto is hardly a squad filler at 21/22 years of age..

He is for now. I wouldn't be spending millions in the summer on players who we hope will be good in a few years, we've plenty of time to do that. For me the summer should be when we step it up. We've got that champions league bait now.

Brendan is quoted as saying in one of the morning papers that we need 5/6 quality players in the summer. Also, he hopes to be at the club for a long time.

That's the headline, the magical number seems to have been plucked out of thin air.   Rodgers is only quoted as saying "new players"

That's the headline, the magical number seems to have been plucked out of thin air.   Rodgers is only quoted as saying "new players"

LFD posted an article in the mirror that quoted 5/6

• Upvote 2

I honestly don't think we need more than 4 players, unless we sell a couple of first teamers. I'd like to see us strengthen the whole left side of the team with Rodriquez, Lallana and Konoplyanka. After that I'm not sure that we need much else, unless we sell Lucas to Napoli or Borini to Sunderland, etc. We have some good players coming back off loan and some good youngsters coming through so the squad depth should be a lot better. Just thee or four real quality signings should be enough.

Every player we sign has to have the ability of holding his place down in the first team. This probably means altering the wage budget but with Champions League this should be expected. I wouldn't be too bothered if we looked to upgrade Lucas for a more dynamic ball winner who offers a bit more going forward in terms of attack and getting the ball back in advanced areas. Basically, similarly disciplined but more athletic.

Don't get too optimistic over our summer transfer activity.

Rodgers was quoted saying that we're looking to bring at least 2 players in January. They "committee" thought not.

So even if he says/thinks that we'll be in a position to sign 4,5 or even more player, they might not support him in the market and he'll have to issue a statement on August 31st saying how he believes that our squad is strong enough to compete.

I expect 2 max 3 players and I hope we don't spent all of our transfer funds on 1-2 overinflated english  mediocrities and regret it for the next 3 seasons.

What an unbelievably miserable post.

• Upvote 1

Guest LFD

The five or six player could be replacing some of the player we already have like Johnson, Agger or Lucas who could all feasibly leave.  That's without mentioning ones like Aspas, Alberto who should be leaving really and Cissokho and Moses returning to their clubs.

I think we need three top class signings in the Reus bracket and maybe one or two who beef up the squad - like Richards and Remy bracket.

I don't like the idea of Borini coming back next season, I don't think he is good enough.  But Remy could be a match winner off the bench or cover S&S when needed.  With the extra games I'm sure he'll get plenty of action as well.