You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

One thing Ill add about Lallana is a good few years ago I came across something about posts on a southampton forum or something where a former southampton youth team player was on there saying how lallana was better then walcott and bale who he had all trained with, all the posters seemed convinced he was legit and had proved it somehow before that.

I have no idea how I came across that now but his name always stuck in my head for that reason and when he came to the prem I kept an eye on him after that description I read, it certainly looks like that former player was on to something as he has been a top player since in the highest division.

So maybe he could be one of those rough diamond types as he was a top prospect from young instead of a one season wonder like adam or aspas.

Possibly, but you've got to remember that Lallana has been at Southampton for years while every top team has run a fine tooth comb over that club looking at Walcott, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Shaw.

Didn't Inter sell us Coutinho in order to buy this fella?

The only reason I even know who he is is because of a conversation with an Inter fan.  I was giving him some stick about Coutinho and he said he wasn't that bothered because they had used the money to get an even better player.

"A better young player than Coutinho?" I thought.  "I should keep an eye out for that lad."  Ever since I've always paid attention to him whenever Inter are playing and I must say I'm very impressed.  Quality player, and if it's true that he's available for 15 million or less we should be all over that.  Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, and Kovacic would be a deep and excellent midfield, and that's without including the likes of Coutinho and Sterling who I'm sure would get a lot of minutes there next season.  I'd love one more on top of that to compete with/replace Henderson, but as much as he's improved this season it would have to be a hell of a player (maybe Bender? or Rakitic?).

£10-£12m is reasonable for Lallana, he's been one of the Prem's best players this years but the complete lack of a high-class career before that tells you he may have difficulty stepping up to Champions League level. However if we don't enquire about Rakitic, we're nuts.

There is zero chance of buying a full England international for 12 million quid. The mancs last two signings have been Fellani 27mil Mata 37mil. Llanna is already miles better than Fellani and is similar in style to Mata, Llanna is a quality player with great technique who imo would be a great signing for the club.

Lallana is perfect for us, he can play as a winger, he can play as an attacking mid, he's got fantastic technique and is a real team player. If Brendan thinks he's worth 20 million, then i'm sure he'll be worth that in the long run. Moses cost 2 million for a loan, Cissokho the same, Aspas 7 million, Alberto 7 million, that's 18 million right there spent on fees and a hell of a lot more on wages, i'd swap all of them just to have Lallana.

There is zero chance of buying a full England international for 12 million quid. The mancs last two signings have been Fellani 27mil Mata 37mil. Llanna is already miles better than Fellani and is similar in style to Mata, Llanna is a quality player with great technique who imo would be a great signing for the club.

Next month they'll both be 26. True, he's obviously better than Fellaini for any team other than West Ham, but Man Utd overspending on their substitutes hasn't much to do with our transfers.

The thin squad was bound to catch up with us sooner or later. I think we're lucky it was later.

Honestly dont think it's caught up with us at all. After the january window closed i thought we would miss out on the CL cause we didnt strengthen, that was proved completely wrong. In terms of the title, im far from convinced any signings would have made much of a difference, our form has been absolutely superb regardless of the thin squad. There is no doubt we are going to need to strengthen for next season though.

Save me a seat on the Kovacic bus! He looks a real player. 

I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment if it ends up he's not one of the player we are after, especially as he's recently started to play really well for Inter after a spell in the doghouse, plus a chance to really shine at the World Cup and massively increase his value, but despite all the big names we can now go after with Champions League football to offer, he's by far the one I want us to get the most.

He's still a bit of a diamond in the rough, as his decision making isn't always perfect, and tactically he still has a lot to learn, but his upside is enourmous at 19. Love his fearless runs, and the way he can glide past defenders with the drop of a shoulder and close control rather than just speed or fancy tricks. He's physically strong enough for the Prem and gets stuck in, in fact he's been played as a DM on occassions, but mostly in central midfield. Should end up being developed into a world class attacking mid. Most Croats think he's a better talent than Zvonimir Boban was.

• Upvote 1

They're both around the same age and this is the first season of their lives you could claim Lallana is even as good as Fellaini without getting laughed at, never mind "miles better".

• Upvote 1

it would be fucking stupid to pay 20-25mil for Lallana, waste of money. That's why I'm almost sure we're not even looking at him, huge smokescreen or regular bullshit by London-based journalists. Mancs can have him, chav cunts too, I don't really care, for such money just stay away from him.

Are we still looking at Bender? Gooners were supposed to have a head start on that

I'd like to see Lallana here. A summer where we get Lallana, Kovacic and Ricardo Rodriguez would be excellent progress on a developing team. 

However, anymore than 15 million or so would be bad business and maybe Konoplayanka would represent better value for money. 

We should look into Curtis Davies from Hull too, had a fantastic season and the potential is there to see, Marshall would be an ok back up for Mignolet. 

My only worry is that we will need a few players with champions league experience, it's not necessary but would help the younger ones.

I'd like to see Lallana here. A summer where we get Lallana, Kovacic and Ricardo Rodriguez would be excellent progress on a developing team. 

However, anymore than 15 million or so would be bad business and maybe Konoplayanka would represent better value for money. 

We should look into Curtis Davies from Hull too, had a fantastic season and the potential is there to see, Marshall would be an ok back up for Mignolet. 

My only worry is that we will need a few players with champions league experience, it's not necessary but would help the younger ones.

He's shit there's no point buying a no mark like him.

Davies in my opinion is terrible, id have Steven Caulker over him any day

You're right Caulker is a much better player, but he's likely to have a high fee.

I'm still positive about Ilori, although it was only a youtube video, his performance in Granada's win over Barca seemed the part.