You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

No chance we'll be in for Pogba. He'll go to PSG or Real Madrid.

In regards to the fee you're probably right but I still say we should go in for him as there's always a chance (albeit probably slim) that he values actually playing football over the cash. It's not like we're skint either we just can't offer what they can but he'd still be well taken care of.

@ NV - which mancs? I'd be very surprised if united were to get him, city is another story however.

How good would it be to get Pogba? A brilliant football and a big fuck you to manu for releasing him, like the big fuck you to Chelsea for releasing Sturridge.

Man Utd didn't release Pogba. He contract was up and he refused to sign a new one and left.

That said, Ferguson fucked up big time there. He wasn't playing Pogba and Pogba rightly got frustrated. He knew he was better than that. And Ferguson obviously didn't.

Fair point. I was thinking more that the player might actually want to play. But then, that hasn't stopped players before. We'd be wise to look at those teams for top talent who aren't getting a game.

Pogba would start every game for any team in the world. Except maybe Barca. He's really got his pick of places to go. Would also be out of our wage bracket.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Pogba would start every game for any team in the world. Except maybe Barca. He's really got his pick of places to go. Would also be out of our wage bracket.

Been said about many players who then sat on the benches of clubs like Real Madrid. But I take your point. That's why I said maybe it's wise to look on the bench of those types of clubs. When those benches hold players like Isco, it's hardly bargain bin searching.

Manu had argubly the best defensive midfielder in world football on their books and released him and now line up with Carrick and Fellaine as their destroyers. Oops.

Probably talking about Pogba, but you can never really know this type of things, some player gets a chance under a certain manager/club, others don't. It happens to every club, so not really that stupid or funny imo.. Barca or Real do it all the time, and the little fuckers still wanna play for them? Go figure.

Hilarious that players/managers are still looking at Spurs over us, understandable a few years ago when the club was a mess. I understand the London link, but surely you'd want to do what best for your career? Spurs have massively overachieved recently. Whilst we finally look like we might be waking from our slumber.

I know some footballers aren't too bright but if that's his or his managers reasoning then. Fuck him and I'm sure Rodgers will find someone who actually wants to be here.

Been said about many players who then sat on the benches of clubs like Real Madrid. But I take your point. That's why I said maybe it's wise to look on the bench of those types of clubs. When those benches hold players like Isco, it's hardly bargain bin searching.

Only problem with that would be wages.

Only problem with that would be wages.

It's always about wages. From the outset, Henry wanted the wage bill pared - he wasn't about to send it through the roof again. I think that's why we lost out on some players - Sigurdson, for example. I'd love to see what Spurs are paying out every month these days.

Hilarious that players/managers are still looking at Spurs over us, understandable a few years ago when the club was a mess. I understand the London link, but surely you'd want to do what best for your career? Spurs have massively overachieved recently. Whilst we finally look like we might be waking from our slumber.

I know some footballers aren't too bright but if that's his or his managers reasoning then. Fuck him and I'm sure Rodgers will find someone who actually wants to be here.

Exactly. If living in London is the priority then he can't be the right character of player we need

Excellent summer? i'ld be well and truly fucking gutted it we signed all that, who even improves our team out of that lot?

And what is it with some Liverpool fans and this long held fascination with Micah Richards?, hes a long gone busted flush.

It's an interesting question that you pose, because now that we're actually, you know, good again, it's not nearly as easy to point to a player in our squad and say "Yeah, we can improve massively on him."  So let me explain why I think that those listed in my post would make for a decent (not unbelievably good, but decent) summer as we look to next season.

If we're looking at our forward options I'd say we need a minimum of 5 top-quality options for the 3 positions.  Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho ... after that we are short (Aspas/Moses/Borini are not of the required standard IMO).  From the list I gave Firmino would be the obvious player to fit in there, would probably start ahead of Sterling though Raheem will still get plenty of time on the pitch and Coutinho would be more of a midfield option while able to fill in up front on the left at a pinch.

In the centre of defense, similarly we need 4 top-quality players, preferably two of whom can play at fullback in an injury crisis.  Skrtel, Agger and Sakho are 3, but of the players I mentioned I think Caulker (who I rate) would come in and be a significant improvement over Toure.  Obviously you don't like Richards but I think he would be a good option as well in the middle or on the right, and would be quite good value as well.

Left back is the one obvious exception to my point at the beginning about it being difficult to improve our team, as there is a first XI position there we could easily upgrade, though I'm not sure who we'll be able to afford.  Hughes would continue our plan of buying young players with an eye to the future, as well as a bit more midfield depth if we didn't loan him out, and for me, that makes a decent summer.  Firmino the highlight, to be sure, but I think there would be plenty there to get excited about for next season.

Anyway, it's all academic as I am sure we'll be buying different players from that, I was just surprised at your disgust at the idea those would be the players we went after.

Where is this Pogba bollocks coming from?

Not a chance, not a fucking chance, and it's no bad thing, he seems a bit of a maverick whereas we NEED our midfield three to be very functional and do a lot of hard work off the ball.

I don't think he's a fit for us, and I'm not sure he's a fit for Barca either for the same reasons, hence why they felt it was ok to sell Yaya Toure when they did.

I think of Pogba in the same way I think of Balotelli, very gifted individuals but ultimately are hungry for personal accolades and recognition rather than being part of a winning team.

The crux of it is that, if Pogba cost £10m then you'd probably give it a go, but he'll cost £40m and want £200k a week, and it's just a laughable amount to pay for someone. Let the Mancs fight over him.

Agreed.  I also think though that even if a player chooses Spurs over us this summer, it will be the last one who does for some time.  It will also be their loss, as someone else will take their place here.

Spurs have a lot of work to do this summer, either to appoint a coach who can get the most from that squad, and/or to shed a lot of surplus and attract the right calibre of players, in a world cup year without CL football.  Need to get cracking early on the right managerial appointment (for once), just for starters.

Where is this Pogba bollocks coming from?

Not a chance, not a fucking chance, and it's no bad thing, he seems a bit of a maverick whereas we NEED our midfield three to be very functional and do a lot of hard work off the ball.

I don't think he's a fit for us, and I'm not sure he's a fit for Barca either for the same reasons, hence why they felt it was ok to sell Yaya Toure when they did.

I think of Pogba in the same way I think of Balotelli, very gifted individuals but ultimately are hungry for personal accolades and recognition rather than being part of a winning team.

The crux of it is that, if Pogba cost £10m then you'd probably give it a go, but he'll cost £40m and want £200k a week, and it's just a laughable amount to pay for someone. Let the Mancs fight over him.

You've got Pogba bang wrong there. He's far from being an individualist, plays in one of the hardest working midfields on the planet. He's like a better version of vieira. That boy will be the best midfield player in the world in 5 years.

Pogba is very unlikely but we would be mad not to at least make enquiries if he becomes available.

I like Caulker but where would that leave Ilori? It's going to be a tough balancing act for us next season in terms of finding game time for some of the younger players. There's no doubt that we'll need a bigger squad and more quality for the CL but it will still leave good young players like Wisdom, Ilori, Alberto, Suso and so on looking at only a handful of first team appearances.

Anyway, I still think that Lallana would be an excellent fit for us and I've love to see us get him. I just think he's the type of player who is ready for the step up and has the right kind of mentality to fit with our current set up.

You've got Pogba bang wrong there. He's far from being an individualist, plays in one of the hardest working midfields on the planet. He's like a better version of vieira. That boy will be the best midfield player in the world in 5 years.

It won't take Pogba 5 years to become the best. He is pretty much there already.

Pogba is very unlikely but we would be mad not to at least make enquiries if he becomes available.

I like Caulker but where would that leave Ilori? It's going to be a tough balancing act for us next season in terms of finding game time for some of the younger players. There's no doubt that we'll need a bigger squad and more quality for the CL but it will still leave good young players like Wisdom, Ilori, Alberto, Suso and so on looking at only a handful of first team appearances.

Anyway, I still think that Lallana would be an excellent fit for us and I've love to see us get him. I just think he's the type of player who is ready for the step up and has the right kind of mentality to fit with our current set up.