Quantcast
Summer Transfers 2014 - Page 498 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
WhiskeyJar

Summer Transfers 2014

Funneee Remy would do...

But they decided to pull out of the deal because of wages and because Borini refused to move.

I would expect a top European striker. But it is much worse than not signing a Top European striker, it looks like that the liars and their shitty local male slut, will NOT sign another striker at all this summer.

So Remy didn't fail the medical?

I'm sure we'll be reading about his lawsuit against the club for slandering his name in the next few days.

tony barrett saying only one more signing. is that after moreno or including moreno?

That was in response to someone asking him if Everton had any more deals lined up.

He's just too much of a risk.  You can't deny his record and I'm not going to do that.  He's just going to cost a lot in terms of a fee and then his wages will be silly money and you can guarantee he's going to want a 4/5 year deal.  Once he's got that his feet can go up on the couch.  He might come to England and find it too difficult, too cold, too not Barca/Madrid and you know what happens then.  We've got a whopping big wage to be paying somebody for a long time and nobody is going to take him off our hands.

His career is on the way down not the way up.  We can't compete for players like Reus because they are very well known and players like that know their next move could well be Barca/Madrid which seems to be the peak of football these days.  He's young and still has a lot to prove in the game.  He's motivated to reach the heights of the game.  I'm probably going to get slaughtered for saying this but if Cavani comes here he isn't doing that.  He's looking for his last big contract and we shouldn't be the mugs to give it to him.  He's never going to go on and play for another big club after us.

The type of players we need to be signing are the type like Suarez at Ajax, Reus before he moved to Dortmund.  We need the rising stars before they become the nailed on future successes because at the moment we are a stepping stone to greater things.  If we are taking the Cavani's and Falcao's of this world then we are making a mistake because they are on a downward curve not motivated enough because they aren't playing for the really huge clubs in football.

I think you're assuming a lot without knowing the bloke's character there, TG. I agree with the general premise of buying players with upside but it's a needs must situation now. I think we need another attacking player and if Cavani is the best available then he's the man, for me. He brings experience at the top level and he brings goals.

We can reassess in two year's time when we have consolidated a top four position and are progressing in the CL. We can then look for the next Suarez/Reus/whoever.

Probaby bollocks, but we can but hope.  Would be a very good acquisition.

"Liverpool have just got rid of their last Spanish goalkeeper, Pepe Reina getting something of a surprise move to Bayern Munich. They could be about to get their next one in if El Confidencial in Spain are to be trusted. The outlet seems to have decent tiesicon1.png to Real Madrid and they've been ahead on stories including Mesut Ozil, Gonzalo Higuain and Keylor Navas.

El Confidencial don't link Liverpool with Iker Casillas this time, perhaps thankfully given his recent form, they instead say that the Merseyside club have been in talks with Diego Lopez. The Spanish goalkeeper was brought in to more or less replace Casillas after a hand injury and did that to a large extent but now with the purchase of Keylor Navas his own future is very uncertain. It's been reported in Spain that Real Madrid have informed Lopez he can leave the club, which he wasn't happy about at first, thinking that Casillas deserved to be the first goalkeeper out of the door.

It's claimed that AC Milan, Napoli and Liverpool have all been in talks with Lopez and made him offers.El Confidencial say the situation could even be resolved before the UEFA Super Cup in Cardiff next Tuesday evening. 

El Confidencial say that at Real Madrid the hours to Lopez's departure are being counted down and it's something they want to happen soon so that the goalkeeper situation is clearer. However, it's hardly likely to be a harmonious situation whilst Iker Casillas is at the club and not playing. Lopez would be a good back-up and serious competition for Simon Mignolet."

He's just too much of a risk.  You can't deny his record and I'm not going to do that.  He's just going to cost a lot in terms of a fee and then his wages will be silly money and you can guarantee he's going to want a 4/5 year deal.  Once he's got that his feet can go up on the couch.  He might come to England and find it too difficult, too cold, too not Barca/Madrid and you know what happens then.  We've got a whopping big wage to be paying somebody for a long time and nobody is going to take him off our hands.

His career is on the way down not the way up.  We can't compete for players like Reus because they are very well known and players like that know their next move could well be Barca/Madrid which seems to be the peak of football these days.  He's young and still has a lot to prove in the game.  He's motivated to reach the heights of the game.  I'm probably going to get slaughtered for saying this but if Cavani comes here he isn't doing that.  He's looking for his last big contract and we shouldn't be the mugs to give it to him.  He's never going to go on and play for another big club after us.

The type of players we need to be signing are the type like Suarez at Ajax, Reus before he moved to Dortmund.  We need the rising stars before they become the nailed on future successes because at the moment we are a stepping stone to greater things.  If we are taking the Cavani's and Falcao's of this world then we are making a mistake because they are on a downward curve not motivated enough because they aren't playing for the really huge clubs in football.

I dont think your right about that. Reason Cavani would want to move footballing reasons only i think. Tired of paying second fiddle to Ibrahimovic being stuck out on a flank for the most part. If it was about money he wouldnt look to move from that contract of his. He's not going to make more money elsewhere.

So much bollocks, so few bullets. Sweeping opinions on the players mentality based on stringent psychological assessments I'm assuming. Or a half arsed guess after a few sort of facts landed on your lap and you formed 'an opinion' of your very own?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

More Skeletor for me.

Me too mate, but I couldn't remember what if anything Skeletor used to scream for the purposes of my reply!

It will be another striker by Sunday, there must be a wheel of fortune in most papers sports sections where they spin it and link us to whoever it lands on.

You really just have to be a lying bastard with a passing interest in the game these days to be a footy journalist.

I cant see cavani and sturridge being a good partnership, Id prefer we get someone in who's better technically and on the ball who would compliment sturridge.

Hes also going to be overpriced so I hope the links aren't true.

• Upvote 1

There's obviously a lot of assumptions I'm making in there.  I thought people would understand that without me having to add it.

My opinion is not based on those assumptions.  He could easily be highly motivated and want to come here for footballing reasons and be a success.  That's fine but I hold my opinion because we are open to what I explained in the first paragraph happening to us.  We wouldn't be open to that going for the up and coming players.  He's going to cost a lot money and he is not a nailed on success.  Nothing is of course but there are too many pointers saying don't do this for me.  As I said it's screaming expensive failure at me.  He's just too much of a risk and he's the wrong side of 25.

There's obviously a lot of assumptions I'm making in there.  I thought people would understand that without me having to add it.

My opinion is not based on those assumptions.  He could easily be highly motivated and want to come here for footballing reasons and be a success.  That's fine but I hold my opinion because we are open to what I explained in the first paragraph happening to us.  We wouldn't be open to that going for the up and coming players.  He's going to cost a lot money and he is not a nailed on success.  Nothing is of course but there are too many pointers saying don't do this for me.  As I said it's screaming expensive failure at me.  He's just too much of a risk and he's the wrong side of 25.

I agree with that stance, that mostly we should look to get up and coming players who can develop further with us. Which is also what we are doing and have been doing for the last few years. But i'd argue its more or at least equal the risk signing those players than spending more on an already proven top class player. Which Cavani without question is.

Playing as a central forward for Napoli he got over 20 league goals per season. Playing mostly out of position at PSG he still got 16. I dont think he's a risk at all, he is a top quality forward and at 27 he is still pretty far from starting to go downhill age wise.

• Upvote 1

I'm refusing to panic till the last day of the window when sky sports news announce Carlton Cole is boarding a helicopter to an unknown destination.

Fear not, Ayre usually spends the last day at home.

I agree with that stance, that mostly we should look to get up and coming players who can develop further with us. Which is also what we are doing and have been doing for the last few years. But i'd argue its more or at least equal the risk signing those players than spending more on an already proven top class player. Which Cavani without question is.

Playing as a central forward for Napoli he got over 20 league goals per season. Playing mostly out of position at PSG he still got 16. I dont think he's a risk at all, he is a top quality forward and at 27 he is still pretty far from starting to go downhill age wise.

Normally the best time to buy players is around 22 or 23 when they're obviously really good and just about to become consistently great. It's when we bought most of our successful big money signings. Torres, Suarez, Alonso, Mascherano, etc.

However getting experienced players from the cash twat clubs when they get a new toy is also a good idea. Makalele, Robben, Schneider leaving Real Madrid. Eto'o from Barca for example.

So if it's bony looking to progress his career to a higher level, we're not being ambitious enough. But if it's cavani looking to play his preferred role we're wasting time on players who have already peaked...

• Upvote 3

Talk of Cavani is more hypothetical than the Zombie Apocalypse GF thread.

Never in a month of Sundays will we buy anyone of his standing this summer, or probably any summer until at least after the stadium is finished.

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

I'm refusing to panic till the last day of the window when sky sports news announce Carlton Cole is boarding a helicopter to an unknown destination.

We have surface to Ayre missiles ready just in case. 

• Upvote 5