You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

It confuses me a bit when the name Cavani is mentioned and people say things like "fuck no", etc. We need a striker, we get linked with a top one and some people will still moan if we signed him because he's not their ideal choice.

To be fair he did his best Andy Carroll impression in the WC when Suarez wasn't on the pitch (so 3 of the 4 games they played). I'd still be happy with him, not flavour of the month anymore but when he was at Napoli we'd have all been wanking silly over the idea and I think Rodgers can get his best form out of him. Even if he doesn't he's an upgrade on every striker we have besides Sturridge.

David Maddock now reporting it. But I can't see us paying 30m plus for a 28 year old....

Yet Barcelona paid 75m for a lad the same age. Suarez 28 in Jan, Cavani 28 in Feb.

The mancs paid 20 odd million for van persie at 29

I genuinely don't get this won't pay top money for players around this age argument/club strategy.

Cavani screams expensive failure at me.

He knows where the net is for sure. However he's only been at PSG one season and they paid a fortune for him. There's zero chance they would sell him and there is no chance we would match his wages.

I've reconsidered. We do desperately need another striker, and Cavani's numbers are impressive everywhere he's been.

Having said that, he'd have to win me over after all the shit stirring he did with Suarez.

Shit, move on.

And, anyway, he was hardly shit stirring; it was the truth. Suarez wanted out last summer.

Cavani also had this to say in Feb:

Cavani: Suarez's future is at Liverpool

See? He's not all badass. He gets us.

• Upvote 1

Funneee Remy would do...

But they decided to pull out of the deal because of wages and because Borini refused to move.

I would expect a top European striker. But it is much worse than not signing a Top European striker, it looks like that the liars and their shitty local male slut, will NOT sign another striker at all this summer.

So Remy didn't fail the medical?

I'm sure we'll be reading about his lawsuit against the club for slandering his name in the next few days.

He's just too much of a risk.  You can't deny his record and I'm not going to do that.  He's just going to cost a lot in terms of a fee and then his wages will be silly money and you can guarantee he's going to want a 4/5 year deal.  Once he's got that his feet can go up on the couch.  He might come to England and find it too difficult, too cold, too not Barca/Madrid and you know what happens then.  We've got a whopping big wage to be paying somebody for a long time and nobody is going to take him off our hands.

His career is on the way down not the way up.  We can't compete for players like Reus because they are very well known and players like that know their next move could well be Barca/Madrid which seems to be the peak of football these days.  He's young and still has a lot to prove in the game.  He's motivated to reach the heights of the game.  I'm probably going to get slaughtered for saying this but if Cavani comes here he isn't doing that.  He's looking for his last big contract and we shouldn't be the mugs to give it to him.  He's never going to go on and play for another big club after us.

The type of players we need to be signing are the type like Suarez at Ajax, Reus before he moved to Dortmund.  We need the rising stars before they become the nailed on future successes because at the moment we are a stepping stone to greater things.  If we are taking the Cavani's and Falcao's of this world then we are making a mistake because they are on a downward curve not motivated enough because they aren't playing for the really huge clubs in football.

I think you're assuming a lot without knowing the bloke's character there, TG. I agree with the general premise of buying players with upside but it's a needs must situation now. I think we need another attacking player and if Cavani is the best available then he's the man, for me. He brings experience at the top level and he brings goals.

We can reassess in two year's time when we have consolidated a top four position and are progressing in the CL. We can then look for the next Suarez/Reus/whoever.

Probaby bollocks, but we can but hope.  Would be a very good acquisition.

"Liverpool have just got rid of their last Spanish goalkeeper, Pepe Reina getting something of a surprise move to Bayern Munich. They could be about to get their next one in if El Confidencial in Spain are to be trusted. The outlet seems to have decent tiesicon1.png to Real Madrid and they've been ahead on stories including Mesut Ozil, Gonzalo Higuain and Keylor Navas.

El Confidencial don't link Liverpool with Iker Casillas this time, perhaps thankfully given his recent form, they instead say that the Merseyside club have been in talks with Diego Lopez. The Spanish goalkeeper was brought in to more or less replace Casillas after a hand injury and did that to a large extent but now with the purchase of Keylor Navas his own future is very uncertain. It's been reported in Spain that Real Madrid have informed Lopez he can leave the club, which he wasn't happy about at first, thinking that Casillas deserved to be the first goalkeeper out of the door.

It's claimed that AC Milan, Napoli and Liverpool have all been in talks with Lopez and made him offers.El Confidencial say the situation could even be resolved before the UEFA Super Cup in Cardiff next Tuesday evening. 

El Confidencial say that at Real Madrid the hours to Lopez's departure are being counted down and it's something they want to happen soon so that the goalkeeper situation is clearer. However, it's hardly likely to be a harmonious situation whilst Iker Casillas is at the club and not playing. Lopez would be a good back-up and serious competition for Simon Mignolet."

He's just too much of a risk.  You can't deny his record and I'm not going to do that.  He's just going to cost a lot in terms of a fee and then his wages will be silly money and you can guarantee he's going to want a 4/5 year deal.  Once he's got that his feet can go up on the couch.  He might come to England and find it too difficult, too cold, too not Barca/Madrid and you know what happens then.  We've got a whopping big wage to be paying somebody for a long time and nobody is going to take him off our hands.

His career is on the way down not the way up.  We can't compete for players like Reus because they are very well known and players like that know their next move could well be Barca/Madrid which seems to be the peak of football these days.  He's young and still has a lot to prove in the game.  He's motivated to reach the heights of the game.  I'm probably going to get slaughtered for saying this but if Cavani comes here he isn't doing that.  He's looking for his last big contract and we shouldn't be the mugs to give it to him.  He's never going to go on and play for another big club after us.

The type of players we need to be signing are the type like Suarez at Ajax, Reus before he moved to Dortmund.  We need the rising stars before they become the nailed on future successes because at the moment we are a stepping stone to greater things.  If we are taking the Cavani's and Falcao's of this world then we are making a mistake because they are on a downward curve not motivated enough because they aren't playing for the really huge clubs in football.

I dont think your right about that. Reason Cavani would want to move footballing reasons only i think. Tired of paying second fiddle to Ibrahimovic being stuck out on a flank for the most part. If it was about money he wouldnt look to move from that contract of his. He's not going to make more money elsewhere.

So much bollocks, so few bullets. Sweeping opinions on the players mentality based on stringent psychological assessments I'm assuming. Or a half arsed guess after a few sort of facts landed on your lap and you formed 'an opinion' of your very own?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1