You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Training his brother, I would imagine.

But it's not really nature v nurture, I am arguing specifically whether talent alone gets you to a club like Liverpool. It doesn't. Not to the first team anyway.

I don't want to be philosophical about it but talent is simply a physical manifestation of hard work.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to be philosophical about it but talent is simply a physical manifestation of hard work.

No amount of hard work could turn me into a top footballer or golfer or cricketer or...or...

Do you think it could you?

If this is going off topic, just ignore the question.

• Downvote 1

Wouldn't go as far as that about Gerrard. Looking at his goals& assists you'd say he had a great season but 99% of them were from a dead ball which we all know, his delivery is exceptional. I just think he's becoming a luxury we can I'll afford. If he's not playing, we miss his set pieces more than anything else. If we had a class defensive Mid we wouldn't have been cut open so many times. He good at setting attacks up, looking for that raking pass. But he's not so good a breaking the opposition up, which is what he's there to do. I think he should be used sparingly this season, If Can ends up being as good as most of us think.

To be honest, we could discuss that, except I don't agree with a word of it. Gerrard controlled just about every game in that run once he played deep, he was phenomenal and along with sterling was our best player in the 2nd half of the season, dead balls or no dead balls.
  • Upvote 3

Gerrards great now he and Rodgers know what he can and can't do. Even though he has quit international footy the next stage is convincing him he can't play every game and maybe rest him at times when he's body needs it. Although as his role is less demanding physically he might not need much resting.

Gerrards great now he and Rodgers know what he can and can't do. Even though he has quit international footy the next stage is convincing him he can't play every game and maybe rest him at times when he's body needs it. Although as his role is less demanding physically he might not need much resting.

You are not code. 

A week or so ago, there were rumours of Kolo Toure leaving and joining either Trabzonspor or Besiktas in Turkey. If he does leave, we need to make sure the No4 shirt remains with one of our centre backs. Until Kolo came along, the last defender to wear the No4 was Sami. In those years, we contested for the league and fell agonisingly short. The years in between saw the No4 go to Aquilani, Meireles and Sahin - all midfielders. We were generally shit in the league during those years. A lesson for us all.

A week or so ago, there were rumours of Kolo Toure leaving and joining either Trabzonspor or Besiktas in Turkey. If he does leave, we need to make sure the No4 shirt remains with one of our centre backs. Until Kolo came along, the last defender to wear the No4 was Sami. In those years, we contested for the league and fell agonisingly short. The years in between saw the No4 go to Aquilani, Meireles and Sahin - all midfielders. We were generally shit in the league during those years. A lesson for us all.

Yep, four play at the rear

It's the winners' way, ask Tom R

Mate Flanno is the best full-back in the premier league i'd much rather him than Enrique. Flanno can do anything he wants. Flanno is the first name on the team-sheet. 

This is pretty far from true. I would have him on the bench covering both sides, but we need better first choice fullbacks. I don't rate Enrique or Johnson any higher, so in summary, we really, really, really fucking need some new fullbacks.

This is pretty far from true. I would have him on the bench covering both sides, but we need better first choice fullbacks. I don't rate Enrique or Johnson any higher, so in summary, we really, really, really fucking need some new fullbacks.

hmmrhed.gif

Flanagan is not better than Enrique, no where near.

What was the stat about Flanagan getting dribbled past more than any other player in the league. 

He did well last season, in a position where we were struggling due to Enrique being injured and Cissokho disappointing.  But let's not pretend Flanagan doesn't have flaws, because he does, as do most youngsters.

• Upvote 2

Flanagan is not better than Enrique, no where near.

What was the stat about Flanagan getting dribbled past more than any other player in the league. 

He did well last season, in a position where we were struggling due to Enrique being injured and Cissokho disappointing.  But let's not pretend Flanagan doesn't have flaws, because he does, as do most youngsters.

Correct. He was skinned on several times and was one of the (many) factors behind us shipping so many goals. And no amount of Bjornebye's little cries when someone says something mean about the lad is going to change that,

We need two new starting fullbacks, but we aren't going to get them. So let's just hope Flanagan is more effective in his primary role as a defender who stops crosses coming and is more consistent this season. Because he needs to be better. He has the attitude, but....jury is out on the talent. We'll see.But first name on the team sheet? No fucking way.

I await Bjornebye's next stupid gif with a tingle of anticipation.

• Upvote 1