You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

There have been times at Everton, where I thought he was a really good player, and I'd back Rafa to turn him into an effective defensive midfielder.

I remember a youngish fellaini and Witsel giving Gerrad and Alonso a very tough time over two legs against that belgium team. He also gave us a few battles in merseyside derbies where he bullied us at times. I think he might be to much of a headless chicken though.

I'm going to do a long post because I'm bored at work.

I think this season could be a long and hard one, and CL qualification should again be our primary aim.

You don't lose a player, a key player, like Suarez and just 'get away with it'. I don't think there's a player on Earth we could have bought to lessen the blow, aside from Ronaldo, but even then I'd have been staggered if he scored 31 goals from open play in his first season here.

I think there are lessons to be learned from last season, and our reliance on a Latin player. You can't stop the cunts from being pinched by BarcaReal, and you can't stop the players from wanting to go there. It's kryptonite for these Latin players, every waking moment is spent dreaming of one day moving to live in Spain and playing 32 piss easy games per year in the league, and then saving yourself for the big games and the CL.

Let's look at a little experiment, and examine the European Player of the Year Awards for the last 20 years (between 1990 and 2010 - Balon D'Or). We'll look at 1st, 2nd and 3rd and see which ones went onto BarcaReal, which I will denote with a *.

1990 - Matthaus, Schillaci, Brehme

1991 - Papin, Savicevic, Pancev, Matthaus

1992 - Van Basten, Stoichkov*, Bergkamp

1993 - Baggio, Bergkamp, Cantona

1994 - Stoichkov*, Baggio, Maldini

1995 - Weah, Klinsmann, Litmanen*

1996 - Sammer, Ronaldo*, Shearer

1997 - Ronaldo*, Mijatovic*, Zidane*

1998 - Zidane*, Suker*, Ronaldo*

1999 - Rivaldo*, Beckham*, Shevchenko*

2000 - Figo*, Zidane*, Shevchenko*

2001 - Owen*, Raul*, Kahn

2002 - Ronaldo*, Roberto Carlos*, Kahn

2003 - Nedved, Henry*, Maldini

2004 - Shevchenko, Deco*, Ronaldinho*

2005 - Ronaldinho*, Lampard, Gerrard

2006 - Cannavaro*, Buffon, Henry*

2007 - Kaka*, Cronaldo*, Messi*

2008 - Cronaldo*, Messi*, Torres

2009 - Messi*, Cronaldo*, Xavi*

2010 - Messi*, Iniesta*, Xavi*

2011 - Messi*, Cronaldo*, Xavi*

2012 - Messi*, Cronaldo*, Iniesta*

2013 - Cronaldo*, Messi*, Ribery

Using this template to go forward and resist being ravished by BarcaReal, I suggest the club stops paying big money for Latin players, and also stops building a team around Latin players. It can only end one way, and that;s being shafted by the footballing equivalent of Microsoft and Apple, with whom we just cannot compete for players.

Of course, there's never a sure thing, and Owen and Macca and proven in the past that English players can also be lured, but I think there was a marked difference between us and the EPL in 2003/04 there is now less of a gulf in terms of money and competing for trophies. As a rule, if you've got a top English or British talent, then you're likely to hold onto him. Sure, we saw Bale go to Madrid but he's a taff and loves cock, so hooking up with Ramos and Ronaldo was the most natural move for him. But in general, the likes of Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, A Cole (in his pomp), etc will not leave.

Looking wider, and this does have it's faults also, but let's look at the German footballer of the year over since 1990, and only ONE player has gone onto BarcaReal, and that was Arjen Robben. Of course, he's not German, but he won the German player of the year award in 2010. Only him, Grafite (2009), and Ailton (2004) were the non-German winners of the award over 23 years. But not one other player felt the need to go to BarcaReal. Take heed.

There is an Italian Footballer of the Year award, and it goes back to 1997 on Wiki, and one player has gone onto BarcaReal and that's Cannavaro. But the likes of Pirlo, Di NAtale, Del Piero, De Rossi, Gilardino, Totti, Mancini and Vieri did not succumb. Vieri came close, but it was Atletico for a season.

Now, the Dutch are a different sort. There has long been a link between the Dutch and BarcaReal.

Let's be honest you need the Latin players Coutinho and Suarez to make some of the English lads a bit better.

I know it was Hodgey and all but watching our lads play for England I couldnt help think all running and not much guile and brains.

Yes, that's the problem with not signing Latin players. They're quite good at football. We could just sign players from the Cook Islands, it would be unlikely they'd end up getting pinched by Real Madrid or Barcelona.

• Upvote 4

Yes, that's the problem with not signing Latin players. They're quite good at football. We could just sign players from the Cook Islands, it would be unlikely they'd end up getting pinched by Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Don't forget these name Latin players are a bit greedy we want hungry players who have fight in em. Well thats what some of our fans seem to be saying all abit strange.

Agger might be on his way to Barca for 12m, still no movement on the Assaidi and Borini deals though. The money could come in handy really.

Hopefully all 3 will happen followed shortly by Johnson, Lucas and Reina departing.

Reus has turned down another contract at Dortmund according to Bild.  It's Tuesday get on it Ayre.

You used to be a solid poster J, but now you're lazy. You've got to put a shift in and put yourself back in my plans.

The disgusting liars and their scouser cocksucker will not sign a striker, unless they sell another 2-3 players.

For them to be liars, they'd have had to have told you something specific about what they were going to do, and gone against it. Have you been tested for concussion yet?

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

For them to be liars, they'd have had to have told you something specific about what they were going to do, and gone against it. Have you been tested for concussion yet?

They speak to him via Mr Wibble

Red-Dwarf-frame-3-Quarantine_zps316c536d

• Upvote 1

The disgusting liars and their scouser cocksucker will not sign a striker, unless they sell another 2-3 players.

Do you think they might resurrect the deal for Remy if that happens, as he will surely be the cheapest option given his price?

If not, why not?  Is it to keep up the pretence and the lies?