You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

I obviously have no fucking clue so this is a complete guess but I think Remy will be one of those players who knows he's above playing for shite like Newcastle and QPR etc so he gets the reputation of being a bit of dickhead when he's there.  Very similar to Anelka in that respect.  When Anelka played for us or Chelsea though the players had nothing but good to speak of him.  Remy will come here and see it as the biggest club he's played for.

Hopefully he's a completely backed Rodgers signing.  Rodgers is no Benitez and won't just be falling out with players and ignoring them etc even if he does have a bit of an attitude.  He will know how to treat Remy to get the best out of him and will do it.

In terms of the sell on value Trumo is worried about I do think he is a different animal to some of the players we've been unable to shift in the past.  He's not an Aspas, he's a very well known player and last season bagged plenty of goals in the prem.  As long as we aren't paying him silly wages a lot of mid-table clubs would take him off our hands for around what we have paid for him.

He's the exact sort of player we used to cry out for all the time but it's only since Rodgers has come in we've actually looked at buying.  He's the next Sturridge/Coutinho for me not the next Aspas/Alberto.

• Upvote 1

Who are these other attacking midfielder/wide forwards that could make a huge impact though?  The only two I can think of are Sanchez and Reus.  We tried to get the former and the latter wont happen.

If it's true about Reus release clause kicking in next year, then who knows if we test the waters with big money now...

Also it seems like Pogba, Isco and Di Maria could be available. Not really a wide forward or attacking midfielder really, but Vidal would also be someone i'd rather see us spend money on.

If it's true about Reus release clause kicking in next year, then who knows if we test the waters with big money now...

Also it seems like Pogba, Isco and Di Maria could be available. Not really a wide forward or attacking midfielder really, but Vidal would also be someone i'd rather see us spend money on.

We're not that well off on the left hand side and Griezmann gives better defensive cover than those listed. I think he'd give the squad a good balance and wider range of available formations

So we're talking about Griezzman because he's been linked with another club.

Let's just get Lovren in first eh.

I get the feeling that there were a lot of clubs and people guffawing about us bidding high for Lovren, but as the transfer window has progressed it would seem that getting him for £20m would be a bit of a steal. There just aren't top central defenders available. You could see the Mancs and Arsenal thinking they might get Hummels or someone else...well I think the realisation is now dawning that they should have been talking with Lovren instead of presuming something better would come along.

Look how much Caulker went for the other day, and QPR were also forced to bring in a cunted Rio Ferdinand, and West Brom settled for Joleon Lescott. That's the sum of centre back dealings in the division so far this Summer...

City seem to still be wrestling with Porto over Mangala, with £32m being the last bid apparently.

Elsewhere, Inter Milan think that bringing in tired veteran Vidic will make them European greats, and Ginter went to Dortmund for £9m, Heintinga and Jara moved from England to Germany, Ezeqieul Garay was taken out of circulation for £14m by Zenit, and the icing on the cake has of course been David Luiz moving to Paris for £45m.

Ezequiel Garay was transferred in the middle of the World Cup.

If you take ability and divide it by market forces, then we'd be lucky to get Lovren for £20m, and not £30m+.

Why anybody would choose Spurs over us is a complete myth to me.  They'll finish 6th at best next year.

Money and London I guess. 

Playing devils advocate though you would tell any prospective signing Liverpool only made top 4 because of Suarez and without him they will be back in 6th or 7th . Defense is shit and they only buy kids.

Absolutely imperative we kick on this season and have a decent finish again to dispel the Suarez argument. Do that and we will get taken a lot more seriously

• Upvote 2

We're not that well off on the left hand side and Griezmann gives better defensive cover than those listed. I think he'd give the squad a good balance and wider range of available formations

Defensive cover i'll give you, but Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic are all quite comfortable there, aswell as Ibe seems to be making progress. I dont think he's enough of an upgrade for us to spend money on him. If we could get better players in, which i hope we can.

I'd love us to to get Reus however as I said I just can't see that happening.  It's not a money issue I just don't see Reus being interested. 

That's one way of looking at it, you mental bastard.

It's about supply and demand though. United NEED centre backs, they've just lost Vidic and Ferdinand. If they cannot find anyone better than Lovren, and they've just paid £27m for an 18 year old left back, then what the fuck would they pay for an experienced international centre back?

Well whilst not poor, I imagine there's a fair few number of clubs through out world football that don't get a slice of the Sky Sports pie. With expert scouting you can find players at these clubs that don't have a massive premium. If you want a safer bet then you'll need to pay the extra money. Lovren is not a safer bet. He's nowhere near a £30m player. I think he'll be a cracking signing though, but over priced at £20m. Like Shaw gas a bigger upside than Lovren.

Money and London I guess. 

Playing devils advocate though you would tell any prospective signing Liverpool only made top 4 because of Suarez and without him they will be back in 6th or 7th . 

I agree that Spurs will try that argument but anyone with a clue about football would respond to that by pointing out that even if you take away Suarez' goals Liverpool still scored more league goals than Tottenham have scored in a season since the PL came into being.

I agree that Spurs will try that argument but anyone with a clue about football would respond to that by pointing out that even if you take away Suarez' goals Liverpool still scored more league goals than Tottenham have scored in a season since the PL came into being.

Just leaves money and London then  !

Seriously its a no-brainer on past records that Liverpool has out performed the Spuds but it's possible to argue to an impressionable young foreign footballer that Liverpool's future prospects are not as good. We think that's crap but we need a another great season , this time without Suarez, to convince others.     

Don't underestimate what just having Suarez on the pitch did to defenders, helping to free up time and space for others. It really isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

Don't underestimate what just having Suarez on the pitch did to defenders, helping to free up time and space for others. It really isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

Disagree on one aspect of this, there were several games last year when Suarez was on the pitch and we were desperate for an outlet to stop the long ball coming straight back at us. He was wonderful but he wasn't a great outlet for a long ball when you're under pressure.

He did panic defences and pull several defenders out of position during attacks though, as you say