You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Lovren isn't worthy of being in the top 15 most expensive defenders of all time, the fee is not proportional to the talent. I could of missed some players out but he'd definitely be in the top 20. If they've rejected the 20 million then they expect even more.

1. David Luiz PSG £50 million

2. Lillian Thuram £36.5 million

3. Thiago Silva £35 million

4. Rio Ferdinand £33 million

5. Luke Shaw £31 million

6 Dani Alves £30 million

7. Marquinhos £27 million

8. Fabio Coentrao £27 million

9. Alessandro Nesta £27 million

10. David Luiz Chelsea £26.5 million

11. Pepe £26.5 million

12. Joleon Lescott £23 million

13. Sergio Ramos £22 million

14. Ricardo Carvalho £20 million

15. Dejan Lovren £20 million

It would help adding the year too as some would have said paying that money for rio ten years ago was fucking insane.

In today's market and especially compared to those above and the timings i think it is a reasonable deal

• Upvote 1

I realise this is just one game, and just one YouTube clip, but in every clip I watch he looks excellent:

Seems pretty comfortable on either foot on that evidence, which might allow him to play in either centre half slot. That said, selling Agger would still represent a risk if it left Toure and Ilori competing for fourth slot in what could be a long, gruelling season.

As fans we often get hung up on how much a player costs. Now while it is certainly a lot of money, consider that what we paid for McAteer back in 1995 (£4.5m) equates to spending almost £30m on him today. Buying Collymore for £8.5m in 1995 is the equivalent of spending close to £50m on him at today's rates. Madness! Arsenal spending what they did to buy Bergkamp all those years ago is the equivalent of what they spent on Ozil last year.

My point is that while we have certainly spent a lot of money on players in this window, we've been far more profligate in years gone by. And that's before you take into account the absolute madness that was spending £35m on Andy Carroll.

• Upvote 1

As fans we often get hung up on how much a player costs. Now while it is certainly a lot of money, consider that what we paid for McAteer back in 1995 (£4.5m) equates to spending almost £30m on him today. Buying Collymore for £8.5m in 1995 is the equivalent of spending close to £50m on him at today's rates. Madness! Arsenal spending what they did to buy Bergkamp all those years ago is the equivalent of what they spent on Ozil last year.

My point is that while we have certainly spent a lot of money on players in this window, we've been far more profligate in years gone by. And that's before you take into account the absolute madness that was spending £35m on Andy Carroll.

I'd say are you Paul Tomkins, but it would never have been written in so few words if you were.

No chance of a late bid from Chelsea. They have already confirmed that they have finished spending this summer...

There hasn't been a bid from anyone, including us. Our last bid was 2 weeks ago. Its just his agent stirring things.

We won't get beaten to Lovren.

It's a canny move in a way perhaps, installing the spine of last seasons Southampton team, a team that played very similar football to us. With a fair wind, these lot could hit the ground running.

Looking forward, I still see two main areas we need to strengthen. Presuming we get Moreno in, and it looks quite likely seeing as we dropped interest in Davies, then we will still be blowing hot and cold at right back. And the other position is the Hendo role, it's vital to us and I'm not sure Lallana or can can do it. Hopefully there's some merit in the Milner rumours.

I'd say are you Paul Tomkins, but it would never have been written in so few words if you were.

If I had to write like Paul Tomkins, rest assured I'd get bored long before completing any article. Secondly, I'm Indian.

If I had to write like Paul Tomkins, rest assured I'd get bored long before completing any article. Secondly, I'm Indian.

Careful, Lizzie. This is what happened to the last person who accused him of writing like Tomkins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk2E1CoGe98

• Upvote 2

http://www.squawka.com/news/reports-liverpool-willing-to-splash-on-a-marquee-signing-list-includes-man-united-target-arturo-vidalliverpool-on-150-million-spending-spree-this-summer/145591?

"iiverpool are reportedly planning a sensational £150 million spending spree this summer as Brendan Rodgers has targeted a marquee signing in midfield, including Man United target Arturo Vidal "

tumblr_lweddjrmDq1qfx4umo1_500.gif

why is it the cream of players we try to sign always go somewhere else and we are left with the cheaper options, mostly.

It's only Sanchez this window really.

We've been going for younger players and Southampton players so far which has meant an easier level of competition and thus to get most of our targets.

Seems Arsenal were after him on loan as well (with an option to buy), so presumably for whatever reason that is all Atletico are willing to offer him on, he's only 20 and appears to be a prospect.

Wonder if this may be related to our problems agreeing a fee for Moreno and Davies going to Spurs - I spy a potential continuation at left-back in Flanno's future.

In fact, seems he has replaced Felipe Luis at times for them, so perhaps he can play on either side as well.