Quantcast
Summer Transfers 2014 - Page 303 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
WhiskeyJar

Summer Transfers 2014

Someone mentioned Tevez a few pages back saying he is too old or something. he was Juventus best player last year. Bit of a wanker but I wouldn't say no to him. 

Depends on the reasons why, really. It won't be anything specifically against LFC, anyway.

Differing club ambitions, surely. Arsenal aren't selling their best player in this transfer window.

Sanchez presumably isn't blind and saw what happened when Spurs last season did exactly what we are now: selling your only world class player and replacing him with a ragbag of overpriced squad men and alleged prospects.

Not too worried here. The International Cup starts on the 24th, Rodgers will likely want a lot of our business sorted by that point so he knows roughly what side he's putting out. So whatever's going on shouldn't drag out for a lot longer.

Luis should be sold by this weekend, and next week could be when we start finding out about whatever signings we're making with that money. Because we should be looking to move quickly and get a side settled that's played together a few times if we're wanting to do anything like what we did last season.

If nothing's happened by the end of next week then I'll be concerned, but that's surely not going to be the case. (Hopefully we should at least have some decent news about who we're going for.) And we already have Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho. Those three alone, if they play with confidence and try to do even better than last season, could help us get over the absence of Suarez in a big way, because they can probably all develop a decent bit more and are already great players.

Finally, with the way Rodgers has us playing it might not be worth getting so caught up about needing big individuals. One of our things now is how we are as a team, so we might not need those massive signings so much anyway.

Differing club ambitions, surely. Arsenal aren't selling their best player in this transfer window.

Possibly.

Although Sanchez to Arsenal being done has been around the traps for weeks. Long before Suarez to Barca was mooted.

You might be right, though. And, like you, I'm a bit underwhelmed by our dealings thus far.

I imagine the extra money you pay for English players sticks in the e-craw. Not mine, really. But I think that's why the nationality is mentioned as a pejorative by some.

But, there must be a reason managers pay it.

But then, why not just mention the price? Saying "over-priced Englishman" is like the phrase "old aged pensioner", one term denotes the other.

You pay a premium for any player who's proven in the league, which is why the value is found abroad. But in avoiding the inflated prices there's also the inflated risk that the players don't settle either in the country or with the league.

Soldado was considered a sure thing last summer and some were saying Spurs had spent well and would take a run at the league. We, on the other hand, ended up relying on players to continue their development; they did. As ever, hindsight usually dictates what was the correct course of action.

• Upvote 1

I don't know where the idea comes from that anyone is satisfied with business done in the transfer market to date.  We are all expecting top class signings in this window.  I happen to believe Lallana is one of those, but let's leave that to one side for a minute.  No-one is going to be happy if it turns out we've already finished business.  

Possibly.

Although Sanchez to Arsenal being done has been around the traps for weeks. Long before Suarez to Barca was mooted.

You might be right, though. And, like you, I'm a bit underwhelmed by our dealings thus far.

Possibly.

Who do you fancy then Major?,you didn't rate Mandzukic,I thought he could have done a job with CL experience and all that.

I agree with you entirely, BBN.

Was just offering an explanation.

Soldado was considered a sure thing last summer and some were saying Spurs had spent well and would take a run at the league. We, on the other hand, ended up relying on players to continue their development; they did. As ever, hindsight usually dictates what was the correct course of action.

I agree here, too.

I don't mind the signing of Lallana, we overpaid, but he's a good footballer. Di Maria was arguably the best player in La Liga for the second half of last season and Koke is a huge talent. I think both are comfortably better players than Lallana, but I also don't think either of them would move here.

It was the same shite people were saying when we spunked £35m on Carroll and Aguero went for £36m a week later (maybe a week before).  It doesn't matter if Aguero went for 46p, he wouldn't of come to Liverpool so it's none of our concern.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you entirely, BBN.

Was just offering an explanation.

I agree here, too.

To be honest, I was probably one of the ones saying they could take a crack at the league and we were going to be shit. 

Who do you fancy then Major?,you didn't rate Mandzukic,I thought he could have done a job with CL experience and all that.

Sanchez!

Mandzukic definitely would have been an option but at £18m I am not so certain, as we simply wouldn't have played him and Sturridge together (IMO). So a more versatile attacking player would be my preference. Like....erm....Sanchez!

Outside of him, though, I am not sure we we turn. Do we flood ourselves with potent AMs so look at folk like Firminho? I don't think out and out strikers are we're we'll look. Though an injury to Sturrudge and we're relying on Lambert or Borini and I'm not sure I like that either. So fucked if I know.

Maybe we should just keep Suarez. Yeah, let's do that.

• Downvote 1

Not a fan of Mandzukic either. In the group with Cavani, Gomez, Giroud, and Dzeko, for me. Not good enough for the teams they play for (Cavani aside, I think he's a good footballer but nowhere near being one of the top five or so strikers in the world which many seem to think he is).

Got a fucking ridiculously good record with strikers though have Atletico, and therefore it wouldn't surprise me if Mandzukic ended up getting 35 goals next season.

To be honest, I was probably one of the ones saying they could take a crack at the league and we were going to be shit. 

Can't remember where I stood on Spurs (probably conveniently).

Not a fan of Mandzukic either. In the group with Cavani, Gomez, Giroud, and Dzeko, for me. Not good enough for the teams they play for (Cavani aside, I think he's a good footballer but nowhere near being one of the top five or so strikers in the world which many seem to think he is).

Completely agree with that, completely. 

Mandzukic is obviously a good player, but he wouldn't fit in here as we effectively play like Bayern Munich lite - but I reckon Aspas would get a few goals in that tin pot league playing for Munich. 

He's going to Athletico where his game will be complimented by the style of football they play, Diego Costa is going to flop hard in the Premier League because Chelsea don't play like Ahtletico and from what I've seen of him - he isn't good enough to adapt.

Can't remember where I stood on Spurs (probably conveniently).

I think I said AvB was a great coach, Lamela was going to tear the league up and Soldado would get around 15-20 goals. Had Spurs' splurge not happened last year, I'd have been wetting myself if we'd signed those kind of players this year.

Sanchez!

Mandzukic definitely would have been an option but at £18m I am not so certain, as we simply wouldn't have played him and Sturridge together (IMO). So a more versatile attacking player would be my preference. Like....erm....Sanchez!

Outside of him, though, I am not sure we we turn. Do we flood ourselves with potent AMs so look at folk like Firminho? I don't think out and out strikers are we're we'll look. Though an injury to Sturrudge and we're relying on Lambert or Borini and I'm not sure I like that either. So fucked if I know.

Maybe we should just keep Suarez. Yeah, let's do that.

Good point if Sturrudge takes the knock we need a top striker and one with CL experience will be what we need,what about Higuain or Benzima as a big marquee signing if possible that is.

It was the same shite people were saying when we spunked £35m on Carroll and Aguero went for £36m a week later (maybe a week before).  It doesn't matter if Aguero went for 46p, he wouldn't of come to Liverpool so it's none of our concern.

Yep. Koke, for e.g, probably has about three clubs he would move to (Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man City. I'm assuming he wouldn't move to Real Madrid).

I think there are perfectly good arguments that could be made that we could be making more inventive signings than we are doing, and who knows, we may well be making several enquiries, etc. Signing Lovren for £25m would be absurd, and lazy. You could get cheaper, better footballers abroad. We wouldn't need to be able to attract Hummels or Silva, for e.g.

I don't think we will see the £35m-£45m signing to "replace" Suarez. It can't be done, in my opinion. There aren't the players, and we wouldn't be able to get them here anyway. It doesn't mean that we have to spunk £150m this summer on £60m worth of Premier League footballers.

We're not at Chelsea or City's level (yet, hopefully) but we're a better proposition than we were 12 months ago, and therefore we can look at better players. Not Messi and Lahm, but better players than 12 months ago. We haven't signed anyone that would improve the first team, or, in my opinion, that we couldn't have attracted to the club 12 months ago.

It's a worry, but there is still time, and I have a lot of faith in the coaching ability of our manager, regardless of who we sign.

• Upvote 1

Just read this and thought others may like a read...

Brendan Rodgers – the master of balance: Why Reds fans shouldn’t expect big names to arrive at Anfield

With £75 million to spend from the sale of Luis Suarez, Liverpool may be linked with ‘big name’ signings, but is it really what they need?

It seems only a matter of time and mere formalities before Liverpool and Luis Suarez part ways, bringing down the curtain upon one of the most fascinating, controversial and memorable relationships between a club and player in recent years.

Around £75 million is expected to be hitting the Reds’ bank account as a result of the Catalan club securing the services of the Uruguayan hitman. And so with it, the rebuilding begins.

Depth

It was no secret that the Reds seriously needed to flesh out their squad for the coming campaign, particularly with the return of the Champions League on the horizon. Nevertheless, the departure of Suárez somewhat signals a change in priority.

Whilst Daniel Sturridge evidenced adequately last season that he is more of capable of finding the goal in Suarez’s absence, the Birmingham-born striker and new acquisition Rickie Lambert alone will not be sufficient if the Reds are to seriously impose themselves upon the domestic and Champions League campaigns.

The potentially imminent signings of Belgian youngster Divock Origi and exciting Serbian Lazar Markovic show clear intent from Rodgers and co to quickly and efficiently reinforce the Liverpool front-line, however grumblings of unrest from some Reds fans have emerged, calling for bigger, internationally-established names to be arriving at Anfield.

Big names?

Marred by the summer-long flirtation with world-class Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez, who now appears to have opted for a move to Arsenal rather than stand as a mere transactional detail in the Suárez saga, many fans would be excused for being a little irate at the lack of instantly recognisable talent being linked with a move to Merseyside.

Nevertheless, one important thing to remember is Brendan Rodgers’ renowned mantra for pursuing players who fit his philosophy and the project he has in mind.

Rather than snap at the enticing allure of one of world football’s biggest stars becoming available, Rodgers’ assessment of whether the individual will be compatible with the project currently flourishing at Anfield is quite admirable.

This isn’t to say however that Alexis Sanchez would not have been a fantastic acquisition and impressive outlet for Liverpool, far from it. Yet with the strongest chance of acquiring the Chilean, via the transfer of Suárez, not coming to fruition, little time can be spent dwelling on what may have been.

Spending power

Whilst it has been noted that much of Liverpool’s spending this window, on messers Lambert, Lallana and Can respectively, has been independent of the incoming finance soon to be received from the sale of Suárez, one has to remember that the Reds’ spending power still falls far short of the likes of Manchester City, United and Chelsea.

In black or white terms, the remainder of this transfer window can go one of two ways.

The first, a slow but steady process of acquiring individuals both suited to the Liverpool way of playing, yet possessing either the experience or the potential to flourish into top European footballers. A steadfast way of seeing results, albeit heavily requiring a hearty dose of patience.

The second way however bodes much more bleakly. Consider a window of hastily cast decisions, procuring players with reputations around Europe as ‘the man of the moment’ or the die-cast ‘next big thing’. Think Tottenham Hotspurs and the countless millions plundered away on the likes of Eric Lamela, Christian Eriksen and Roberto Soldado, all for a collective sum of around £62 million.

Each of course, top footballers within their own right, having had their lion’s share of solo success upon the continent. Nevertheless, haphazardly assembling talent together in the hope that they will click simply does not always work, sometimes the jigsaw pieces just will not fit – an overall philosophy is paramount.

Maintaining composure

Suarez will undoubtedly leave a huge void in his immediate absence. Nonetheless, frittering vast sums of money away on household names who may not even adhere to ‘the Liverpool way’ would be a classic case of one step forward, two steps back.

Perhaps the anguish of some fans is born from the fact that Liverpool came so close to clinching the Premier League title last season, a feat that was simply beyond the wildest dreams and expectations of the best of us.

Ironically however, it is perhaps this achievement which dictates that Liverpool should not simply plunge head first into the transfer market like a bull in a china shop, intent on securing ‘big names’ in aim of merely making a statement. Sometimes the loudest and most impressive statements don’t always make that much logical sense.

Optimism

As it stands, the creative platform of the Liverpool XI next season will take some beating. Adam Lallana joins the likes of Philippe Coutinho and Raheem Sterling, with the acquisition of Markovic hopefully not too far behind.

Should this quartet forge a clockwork-like rhythm, entwined neatly between the engine room of Henderson and Gerrard and the main spearhead of attack in Daniel Sturridge, Rodgers again finds himself with a very meticulous and flexible offensive ensemble, to rival the very best.

The transfer window is an exciting, yet often long-drawn and fascinating sort of beast. Purchases unquestionably have to be made; and they will be.

Yet do not be expecting coveted names of Suárez-esque magnitude to be arriving in knee-jerk fashion, merely to satisfy the loss of the Uruguayan.

As last season evidenced, a building project is well under way at Anfield. Personnel changes but philosophies remain the same.

In Brendan we trust.

Mandzukic is obviously a good player, but he wouldn't fit in here as we effectively play like Bayern Munich lite - but I reckon Aspas would get a few goals in that tin pot league playing for Munich.

He's going to Athletico where his game will be complimented by the style of football they play, Diego Costa is going to flop hard in the Premier League because Chelsea don't play like Ahtletico and from what I've seen of him - he isn't good enough to adapt.

A style of play that was built around a player who won't be here anymore. Time to adapt and evolve, I don't expect Rodgers to tare up his little manifesto but I wouldn't be surprised to see him throw a Huntelaar/ Mario Gomez type in to the mix, unless that's Lambert.

I think I said AvB was a great coach, Lamela was going to tear the league up and Soldado would get around 15-20 goals.

Those two still may happen. Lamela looks too good not to succeed.

AvB? Hmmmmm...

Favourites to sign Higuain. 

Could see Lucas or Agger going the other way if it happened.

Decent competition for Sturridge and good enough back up if injured. As has been pointed out, Sturridge can play wider as well with Higuain through the centre. I'd be very happy with him.