You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

The problem with closing all loopholes, like squeezing squad sizes and stopping third party ownership is that other leagues use them to try to level the playing field with the English and Spanish leagues.

Portuguese teams have managed to remain relevant by not always owning their players outright, and many Serie A sides rely on amassing young players to offset the diminishing returns from the stadia they don't actually own.

Think this could be a very clever ploy by Milner. He knows city are fucked with the home grown talent rule, leak it to the press he wants to leave. Bingo, he gets a massive pay rises and everyone is happy. 

Methinks you overestimate Milner.

Methinks you overestimate Milner.

Maybe his missus is the brains behind this cunning plan.

I never understand why these players would go/stay somewhere for money. They've got a limited shelf-life and when they are 50 and looking back at it, will the extra £10k a week really make up for playing fuck all during the peak of their career?

Free James Milner; he's nobody's slave.

• Upvote 1

I think (and I say this with a huge smile), City would be very reluctant to sell a player to a team that they see as a direct rival for the league title next season.  11 months ago Chelsea loaned us Moses, we can forget trying to sign players from City and Chelsea now.

Are we sure that Chelsea didn't see us as rivals going into the season and that's why they loaned us Moses?

• Upvote 3

He'd probably do fine at Arsenal, but I can't see Arsenal fans wanting him. They're looking for big names now, not the likes of Milner. I know that shouldn't matter, but for a club like Arsenal, they'd perceive him as an underwhelming signing (unfairly). 

Milner IS getting games though. And winning stuff, and most likely on a very attractive salary. I just can't believe he's all this discontented. He's not a true benchwarmer who rarely gets a game at all.  There's plenty of other players at City getting far less game time.

That said, he might see the writing on the wall, and know he's never going to get significantly more game time than he does now. It's probably as good as it's going to get at City.

Milner has been reported to want game time in CM - his preferred position. If let's say his preferred position is currently being occupied by an automatic starter (we'll call him David Silva) Milner really isn't first choice and isn't going to play as much football as he wants, is he? But you know the player better, and if his discontent isn't about playing time (and he's happy with his wages) then what else could it be?

He could say his four years and trophy haul at City was good enough. If a team comes in for him who can offer him all the game time he wants in his preferred playing position, then it would be a team of interest. I don't think that team is us.

Milner has been reported to want game time in CM - his preferred position. If let's say his preferred position is currently being occupied by an automatic starter (we'll call him David Silva) Milner really isn't first choice and isn't going to play as much football as he wants, is he? But you know the player better, and if his discontent isn't about playing time (and he's happy with his wages) then what else could it be?

He could say his four years and trophy haul at City was good enough. If a team comes in for him who can offer him all the game time he wants in his preferred playing position, then it would be a team of interest. I don't think that team is us.

If it's down to position, and not game time, then fair enough, but is he really going to be snapped up by a top team for a central midfield position? (maybe United!).

If he's happy to go back to Newcastle, or Villa then maybe, but I can't see him at a top team now, although I could see him at Everton, since Barry's in decline, despite a good season.

It's probably more paper talk than anything, since he's not really made a habit of mouthing off to the press before. Probably his agent just making sure City don't overlook his pay rise.

That said, you never know what goes on behind the scenes and if Pelligrini's told him he's on borrowed time, then you can't blame the lad for wanting a move. But that's hard to believe given that Pelligrini keeps playing him., and he's a fans' favourite too.

He might even get his wish in CM if Javi Garcia goes. He's not really impressed the City fans. He's been ok, but nothing more, whereas Fernandinho's slotted in very well.  I think Milner probably suffers from being so versatile. The old 'utility' player, and arguably a jack of all trades, master of none (which isn't meant to be critical).

Maybe his missus is the brains behind this cunning plan.

I never understand why these players would go/stay somewhere for money. They've got a limited shelf-life and when they are 50 and looking back at it, will the extra £10k a week really make up for playing fuck all during the peak of their career?

Free James Milner; he's nobody's slave.

It's not necessarily the player's own choice. He'll have a wife and parents on about the money too, and kids schools to pay for etc. 10K a week is over half a million a year. That'll be enough to persuade many wives where he should be playing. And he is getting games. It's not like he's permanently on the bench.

It's probably more paper talk than anything, since he's not really made a habit of mouthing off to the price before. Probably his agent just making sure City don't overlook his pay rise.

Or maybe he's not happy being paid thousands a week to sit on the bench.

Maybe he's not a mercenary and actually wants to play football and this actually isn't a ploy to get more money but a ploy to actually do what he's paid to do.

• Upvote 1

If it's down to position, and not game time, then fair enough, but is he really going to be snapped up by a top team for a central midfield position? (maybe United!).

If he's happy to go back to Newcastle, or Villa then maybe, but I can't see him at a top team now, although I could see him at Everton, since Barry's in decline, despite a good season.

It's probably more paper talk than anything, since he's not really made a habit of mouthing off to the price before. Probably his agent just making sure City don't overlook his pay rise.

That said, you never know what goes on behind the scenes and if Pelligrini's told him he's on borrowed time, then you can't blame the lad for wanting a move. But that's hard to believe given that Pelligrini keeps playing him., and he's a fans' favourite too.

He might even get his wish in CM if Javi Garcia goes. He's not really impressed the City fans. He's been ok, but nothing more, whereas Fernandinho's slotted in very well.  I think Milner probably suffers from being so versatile. The old 'utility' player, and arguably a jack of all trades, master of none (which isn't meant to be critical).

Javi Garcia doesn't get to play that much does he? Maybe when Yaya Toure was out, I think. I remember Garcia came on at Anfield. Anyway, I'm sure Milner's future will be sorted out sooner rather than later. Hodgson doesn't want transfer business going on while the England players are in training camp (although not sure how realistic that is).

It's not necessarily the player's own choice. He'll have a wife and parents on about the money too, and kids schools to pay for etc. 10K a week is over half a million a year. That'll be enough to persuade many wives where he should be playing. And he is getting games. It's not like he's permanently on the bench.

I am by no means suggesting £10k a week is not significant amlount of money but when put in context of an already £80k (or whatever) weekly wage, that significance reduces somewhat, no matter how many hangers on you are bankrolling.

Javi Garcia doesn't get to play that much does he? Maybe when Yaya Toure was out, I think. I remember Garcia came on at Anfield. Anyway, I'm sure Milner's future will be sorted out sooner rather than later. Hodgson doesn't want transfer business going on while the England players are in training camp (although not sure how realistic that is).

Seems to have been relegated to cover for Fernandinho or Toure (usually Toure). Which is why he could probably be sold, and Milner take his place - but that's about as close as he'll get to playing CM at City.

If he goes, he'll be missed. Seems to keep his head down, and puts in a shift when he plays. More than some of them do (despite their talent). It would still seem a strange move from City though, with all the home grown issues looming. They won't find another similar home grown on the cheap.

I am by no means suggesting £10k a week is not significant amlount of money but when put in context of an already £80k (or whatever) weekly wage, that significance reduces somewhat, no matter how many hangers on you are bankrolling.

Yes, I take your point, but still, no matter how much money these lads earn, the majority of them are on the lookout for more.

I think they go for:

1) More medals

2) More money

3) Bigger club

4) More playing time

Probably in that order. The more playing time only tends to come into play when the other 3 options are reducing, due to them being on the downward slope of their career rather than the upward.

If all these players really wanted more playing time above anything else, top clubs would have some poor benches, and they don't.