You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

The way managers like Rodgers work when buying players is to buy people who fit into a system and their strengths and qualities are what he looks at. For example, Sanchez might be a better player than Lallana and work out cheaper but if Lallana fits the system better then he's the one for us, that's why I'm unconcerned at the moment with "big names".

We have to have trust in the manager or committees choices this summer.

Surely a guy who has three times as many dribbles as his competition is always going to be dispossessed far more often.

I am just a bit surprised that we aren't worrying more about the right back position ( unless we are worried long-term about Enrique's injury )

The way managers like Rodgers work when buying players is to buy people who fit into a system and their strengths and qualities are what he looks at. For example, Sanchez might be a better player than Lallana and work out cheaper but if Lallana fits the system better then he's the one for us, that's why I'm unconcerned at the moment with "big names".

We have to have trust in the manager or committees choices this summer.

Great players will fit into any system

I am just a bit surprised that we aren't worrying more about the right back position ( unless we are worried long-term about Enrique's injury )

With Wisdom, Johnson, Flanno and Kelly on the wage bill I don't envisage us seeing RB as a priority in this window. We 'll probably persevere with GJ and Flanno with Wisdom as 3rd choice RB/ 5th choice CB

With Wisdom, Johnson, Flanno and Kelly on the wage bill I don't envisage us seeing RB as a priority in this window. We 'll probably persevere with GJ and Flanno with Wisdom as 3rd choice RB/ 5th choice CB

Yeah I can see that happening tbh and then we replace Johnson after his contract expires. But I think we really need to sign a RB and bin Johnson ideally. Then we have new RB, new LB, Flanno and Enrique as backup/squad options and unfortunately I think we may as well sell Kelly. I don't think all that will happen but it's what I'd like to happen

We've only seen 60% of RedCafu's potential playing at LB. On his weaker foot an all. He'll be Johnson's replacement, with Rodriguez/Moreno coming in for the LB slot to compete with Enrique. Knowing Flanagan can play on the left is a massive bonus, but he's not, never has been, or will long term be, a left back. He got us out of a massive fucking hole this season. That's it.

On this basis, its understandable that signing a RB is way down the list of priorities.

Of all the full backs on our books , I would only rate Enrique as being a potential long-term first-teamer.

I think Flanno did really well & gives excellent cover on both sides , but he looks to have significant defects & with the emphasis on our full backs to give the attacking thrust , I don't think he is good enough offensively.

Martin Kelly looks to have been let down by his body, Wisdom is a centre-back to me & Glen just seems too blase to care about applying himself 100%.  

• Upvote 2

According to the Guardian Milner has told City he wants to leave. Us and Arse are interested in him.

hes really impressed me this season. depends how much they want for him as he cost them 24.

rafa was in for him when he was at leeds or newcastle.

You could make a case for him playing in a wide position for us (just), but definitely not as a central midfielder.

I think he's best in that central attacking role, that's where Villa played him.

He could play in the Coutinho role for us.  But I'm not sure he'll be worth what he'll cost and there are probably better options available.

I don't like him wide at all.

Milner was really impressive when he came on against us last month, but if he wants first team football and a central role then I can't really see him getting that here.

I agree that his best position is central though. I just don't  think he is a better option than Gerrard, Henderson, Allen or Coutinho.