You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Sorry Bale, Belllamy, Giggs. Williams, Ramsey..

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19877465

The whole of Wales knows

Raise you this, shows you Brazilians can be as stupid as the Welsh. 

From 2010

THE Bola de Ouro is to Brazil what the FWA Footballer of the Year is to England, an award which recognises a player’s class, consistency and durability.

When you look back at a list of the past winners since its inception in 1973, fittingly it has been given to some of the game’s greatest talents, men whose names will stand the test of time.

Zico was a dual winner, as was Falcao, while others to be named the top performer in Brazil’s National Championship include luminaries such as Romario, Careca and Kaka.

And more recently, Carlos Tevez and Robinho can add their names to the roll of honour.

Clearly, those who choose the award at the Brazilian magazine Placar know what makes a special footballer, so it may surprise some to learn the 2006 recipient was a player who has spent much of the past two years fending off criticism.

The man in question is, of course, Lucas.

Lucas's hype always correlated with him being injured, whereas Allen's hype correlated with actually being on the field producing quality performances. I've got time for Joe Allen, he works hard, and it's not out of the realms of possibility for him to get a second wind and kick on again, especially seeing the renaissance a player like Ramsey has gone through after the time and energy Wenger invested in him, i'm hoping for something similar from Rodger's and Allen, however unlikely.

• Upvote 1

Raise you this, shows you Brazilians can be as stupid as the Welsh. 

From 2010

THE Bola de Ouro is to Brazil what the FWA Footballer of the Year is to England, an award which recognises a player’s class, consistency and durability.

When you look back at a list of the past winners since its inception in 1973, fittingly it has been given to some of the game’s greatest talents, men whose names will stand the test of time.

Zico was a dual winner, as was Falcao, while others to be named the top performer in Brazil’s National Championship include luminaries such as Romario, Careca and Kaka.

And more recently, Carlos Tevez and Robinho can add their names to the roll of honour.

Clearly, those who choose the award at the Brazilian magazine Placar know what makes a special footballer, so it may surprise some to learn the 2006 recipient was a player who has spent much of the past two years fending off criticism.

The man in question is, of course, Lucas.

All the other Brazilians were playing abroad at the time, Seems Lucas has not got over a few bad injuries.

As for Wales. I watch them regular and when Allen plays they look a side that could give anyone a game, when he dos'nt play they look like wales, pretty shit. Allen seems suited to playing foreign sides where the ability to cut down opposition space and retain possession is important. He deserved that award.

As for Allen only improving our midfield because Lucas is out of form, we got Spurs next, last time we went there Stevie was injured Allen came in and we annihilated them. I agree its a big year for Allen but as has said himself, because of his injuries Liverpool fans haven't seen the best of him. I'll back Rodgers judgement and look forward him proving himself when we play champions league football.

• Upvote 2

That's unfair on Lucas - the season leading up to the injury he was one of the best DMs in the league if not Europe, never asked to leave during the bad years, etc. I think the injury's ruined his career and he's not going to cut it playing for us, but to say he's shown nothing in his career here....

• Upvote 1

Some of Allen's best games for us were his first few games here playing pretty much as a DM. He doesn't really offer much going forward. I'd be tempted to try a midfield three of Allen deep, with Henderson and Can, though I still don't think Rodgers is at the stage of contemplating leaving Stevie out. Can looks to have an attacking directness and a bit of physicality, which I like the idea of having in our midfield

Some of Allen's best games for us were his first few games here playing pretty much as a DM. He doesn't really offer much going forward. I'd be tempted to try a midfield three of Allen deep, with Henderson and Can, though I still don't think Rodgers is at the stage of contemplating leaving Stevie out. Can looks to have an attacking directness and a bit of physicality, which I like the idea of having in our midfield

That'd be the way to go at home against shit sides when we have mid week matches. I know we've talked about Can in the holding role but it's definitely worth having that big fuck running higher up the pitch.

That's unfair on Lucas 

No it wasn't

- the season leading up to the injury he was one of the best DMs in the league if not Europe

Not true

never asked to leave during the bad years

No one wanted him

I think the injury's ruined his career and he's not going to cut it playing for us

I think what's ruined his career the most is him not being good enough for a side with aspirations above 7th place.

but to say he's shown nothing in his career here....

What's he shown? seriously...  i genuinely can't think of a single instance were Lucas has done anything to directly win us a game.

You can say he's a defensive midfielder and it's not his role but Keane and Viera were both defensive midfielders and i can think of loads for them. Even Gerrard last season has game changing moments like the through ball to Sturridge away at Fulham. Lucas i can't think of anything, and for someone that's been here for 7 years playing pretty regular that's damning.

• Upvote 2

Regarding Allen -- Lucas, interesting coincidence that Joe is quoted today as saying we shouldn't give away free kicks in dangerous areas. He gets it. Who has been giving away free kicks in dangerous areas his whole career, especially in crucial moments of a game, and has never learnt not to? One guess..

he seems like a nice bloke, but it's time to move on another Brazilian

Joe doesn't give away free kicks in dangerous areas because he gets muscled off the ball easily. He's better going forward.

he doesn't give away stupid free kicks in dangerous areas because he doesn't make dozens of mistimed tackles and pressess very well. He doesn't get muscled off the ball easily too, that's simply not true, he's one of the most difficult players in our team to take the ball away from.

he doesn't give away stupid free kicks in dangerous areas because he doesn't make dozens of mistimed tackles and pressess very well. He doesn't get muscled off the ball easily too, that's simply not true, he's one of the most difficult players in our team to take the ball away from.

Thats because as soon as he gets the ball he passes it

Sideways

Exactly mate, reading Allen gets pushed off the ball to easy is complete nonsense, coutinho even said he was trying to learn from Allen in that area.

• Downvote 1

Never really rated Allen, too small, too lightweight and gets bullied too easily.

He is also dreadful when he does get into advanced areas with his finishing/decision making.

If the Mancs offered silly money then as much as I wouldn't want to see one of our players go there I wouldn't be dead against it in Allen's case. For me we need a player in the middle who offers more physically, has a better range of forward passing (Allen is neat and tidy, but does not look forward enough when he gets it) and protects the back four better than Allen does.

I honestly don't see how he would make the Mancs better.

• Upvote 1

Never really rated Allen, too small, too lightweight and gets bullied too easily.

He is also dreadful when he does get into advanced areas with his finishing/decision making.

If the Mancs offered silly money then as much as I wouldn't want to see one of our players go there I wouldn't be dead against it in Allen's case. For me we need a player in the middle who offers more physically, has a better range of forward passing (Allen is neat and tidy, but does not look forward enough when he gets it) and protects the back four better than Allen does.

I honestly don't see how he would make the Mancs better.

"Wouldn't make em better" fucking hell. I take it you haven't seen them lately.