You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

It's a stupid buy for £55 million and i hope they go through with it, it'll create a bluster in the first few months with pundits and the media hyping them to death as title challengers but the bravado will dissipate when the results start going against them, and they will, with a central defence consisting of Smalling, Evan's, Jones and some kid from the academy.

There's also the fact that Di Maria is an unknown quantity in terms of the premier league, so there will be a learning curve there in terms of the pace of the league, but also the change of personnel. I'd rather they spent it like this than on Vertonghen and Vidal, two players that would strengthen their weakest areas.

I disagree, i think he's a fantastic player and I'd rather us shelve the ballotelli deal and put in the extra to buy him.

I disagree, i think he's a fantastic player and I'd rather us shelve the ballotelli deal and put in the extra to buy him.

The club aren't going to be spending £55 million on top of the £100 million they've already spent, that goes without saying.

Outside of a 3man or as part of a 3 behind a striker.

Not 100% sure what the question means, but under Mourinho Di Maria definitely tended to play on the left of a three behind a striker, and he fell over a lot for no discernible reason, as Mourinho's attacking players tend to.

Under Ancelotti he's been transformed into a very effective, hard-running midfielder with flair. From what I saw last season, he either played as one of the midfield runners in front of Alonso - very similar to the way Henderson/Allen/Coutinho et al played in front of Gerrard for us - or as the central one of the three in a 4-2-3-1.

There are posters on here who watch a lot more of Madrid than I do, and I'm sure they can give you a much more nuanced view of Di Maria. He was often very good in Spain though, however much we might want to pretend otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

I'd agree with you if the extra was £5m to £10m. An extra £39m for one player at a position we're already pretty well stocked in*? No thanks.

We need a striker, and Balotelli is a striker who on his day is unplayable. He's not Falcao no, but he costs only £6m more to buy and significantly less in wages rather than the £10m to rent him for a year and pay him £200k a week whilst he waits for Madrid to come get him.

If we're going to spend that kind of money on a player it should either be a striker (of which currently 4 might be worth that kind of money, 2 of which aren't necessarily out and out strikers, one of which we just sold and the other is the aforementioned Falcao who would cost an arm and leg to rent for a season), or a genuinely top class Gerrard-esque midfielder of which, for me anyway, Pogba or Vidal spring to mind most though I suppose Kovacic is gaining hype as that type of player but I've not seen much of him. I don't think Kovacic would cost that much though if we did want him, at least not right now.

* - whether Di Maria is seen as a CAM/Second Striker or a Winger we've bought a £20m winger who hasn't kicked a competitive ball for us yet and maybe could play multiple positions as most wingers seem capable of at this time. We already have Sterling who we know can play as a winger or behind the forwards. Lallana, who hasn't kicked a ball in any game for us yet but should be able to play either wide or behind the striker(s) and we already know Coutinho can do both as well, even if most of us prefer him central.

I never liked Di Maria. (nothing personal just the way he played.) Like I said a few times in match threads, he always seemed to play shit in the games I saw him in. And there was just something I didn't like about him, which was fucking right if he ends up at Utd.

27m Shaw

38m Mata

60m DiMaria?

33m Herrera

They've payed maximum worth for all them players. Absolutely taken to the cleaners.

They're all statement players too. With Chelsea and city, unless Abramovich is doing the buying, they at leat tend to buy players as part of some kind of plan. The mancs only make big signings to placate their fans.

• Upvote 1