You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

There's obviously a lot of assumptions I'm making in there.  I thought people would understand that without me having to add it.

My opinion is not based on those assumptions.  He could easily be highly motivated and want to come here for footballing reasons and be a success.  That's fine but I hold my opinion because we are open to what I explained in the first paragraph happening to us.  We wouldn't be open to that going for the up and coming players.  He's going to cost a lot money and he is not a nailed on success.  Nothing is of course but there are too many pointers saying don't do this for me.  As I said it's screaming expensive failure at me.  He's just too much of a risk and he's the wrong side of 25.

There's obviously a lot of assumptions I'm making in there.  I thought people would understand that without me having to add it.

My opinion is not based on those assumptions.  He could easily be highly motivated and want to come here for footballing reasons and be a success.  That's fine but I hold my opinion because we are open to what I explained in the first paragraph happening to us.  We wouldn't be open to that going for the up and coming players.  He's going to cost a lot money and he is not a nailed on success.  Nothing is of course but there are too many pointers saying don't do this for me.  As I said it's screaming expensive failure at me.  He's just too much of a risk and he's the wrong side of 25.

I agree with that stance, that mostly we should look to get up and coming players who can develop further with us. Which is also what we are doing and have been doing for the last few years. But i'd argue its more or at least equal the risk signing those players than spending more on an already proven top class player. Which Cavani without question is.

Playing as a central forward for Napoli he got over 20 league goals per season. Playing mostly out of position at PSG he still got 16. I dont think he's a risk at all, he is a top quality forward and at 27 he is still pretty far from starting to go downhill age wise.

• Upvote 1

I agree with that stance, that mostly we should look to get up and coming players who can develop further with us. Which is also what we are doing and have been doing for the last few years. But i'd argue its more or at least equal the risk signing those players than spending more on an already proven top class player. Which Cavani without question is.

Playing as a central forward for Napoli he got over 20 league goals per season. Playing mostly out of position at PSG he still got 16. I dont think he's a risk at all, he is a top quality forward and at 27 he is still pretty far from starting to go downhill age wise.

Normally the best time to buy players is around 22 or 23 when they're obviously really good and just about to become consistently great. It's when we bought most of our successful big money signings. Torres, Suarez, Alonso, Mascherano, etc.

However getting experienced players from the cash twat clubs when they get a new toy is also a good idea. Makalele, Robben, Schneider leaving Real Madrid. Eto'o from Barca for example.

Guest davelfc

I'm refusing to panic till the last day of the window when sky sports news announce Carlton Cole is boarding a helicopter to an unknown destination.

We have surface to Ayre missiles ready just in case. 

• Upvote 5

Sevilla have confirmed that Moreno is in the Super Cup squad for next week. A kick up the arse to Ayre or is this one off for good, why risk him playing if he is our player? Still 50/50 for me if this has been a good window or underwhelming. Our strategy(?)in replacing Luis is baffling and seems muddled.

Would you Adam and Eve it, United have decided against another of their top summer targets.

Aren't they just so very indecisive this window.

In other news, looks like Agger's going on loan to Napoli on August 31st then!

But, but they're favourites to land Di Maria for £60m and give him £120k per week (according to The Star)..

And are ready to pay £45m for Vidal, as well as give him £182k per week.

And give Arsenal up to £15m for Vermaelan.

And give Roma £30m for Benatia.

World's biggest club dontcha know.