You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Our striker pursuit can be pinpointed right here. 

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/premier-league/top-goalscorers.html

Suarez is gone *sniff*, Sturridge we own, Yaya wouldn't move to us, Potato head (haha no thanks), Aguero wouldn't move, likewise Giroud and Dzeko. Who's next? Bony, who's after Bony? Jay Rodriguez.

There you have it Jay Rodriguez or Bony, our amazing scouting network at work.

Did Vela go back to Arsenal in the end?

If not, buy him.

Real Sociedad recently bought out Arsenal's first refusal clause and the player signed a new four year deal, according to the Spanish press they paid 12m Euros to have the clause taken out, so I'd imagine any fee would be double that.  He's turned into a quality player though.
  • Upvote 1

The concern here is the fact that the closer we get to the start of the season short upfront, the higher the risk becomes of a panic buy like Jay Rodriguez or a shit loan signing along the lines of Victor Moses - (shudder).

My biggest dread is seeing a drip feed of excuses coming from the likes of Tony Barrett as to why we will go into the season without the much needed reinforcements upfront...then I for one will really be worried.

That's why people get antsy at the start of the window. It's not because they're intellectually subnormal, or incapable of excercising patience. It's because there is a finite time and as time passes, our options narrow. As the options narrow, there is no real reason to think the club will do in 2 weeks, what it couldn't accomplish in 50.

• Upvote 4

Given a choice of Lambert or Aspas i'd chose Lambert obviously, but you seem to have forgot about the missing Suarez. Suarez and Sturridge vs Sturridge and Lambert for me that's a massive step down in class.

Suarez & Sturridge were the best partnership in Europe last season, obviously anyone else alongside Sturridge is a massive step down. But how can you accuse me of setting an agenda, when you compare Suarez/Sturridge to Lambert/Sturridge. Them 2 starting together is rarely going to happen. Rodgers is gonna go back to his preferred formation now, so Sturridge is not going to have a striking partner now, he's going to have Markovic /Sterling/coutinho/Lallana playing either side of him with 1 of them playing behind him. If Markovic turns out as good as everyone thinks, imagine trying to defend against that attacking 4, the pace of Lazar & Sterling, with Coutinho or Lallana doing their bit behind Sturridge. Yes we've lost Luis but we will improve as a team, both in quality & depth. We just need someone who can come in when Sturridge is unavailable. A quality striker with loads of pace. I don't want a Benzema or a top named striker. I want someone who can play anywhere across the front 3, someone who will be happy being an understudy to someone who is already one of the top strikers in Europe.

Suarez & Sturridge were the best partnership in Europe last season, obviously anyone else alongside Sturridge is a massive step down. But how can you accuse me of setting an agenda, when you compare Suarez/Sturridge to Lambert/Sturridge. Them 2 starting together is rarely going to happen. Rodgers is gonna go back to his preferred formation now, so Sturridge is not going to have a striking partner now, he's going to have Markovic /Sterling/coutinho/Lallana playing either side of him with 1 of them playing behind him. If Markovic turns out as good as everyone thinks, imagine trying to defend against that attacking 4, the pace of Lazar & Sterling, with Coutinho or Lallana doing their bit behind Sturridge. Yes we've lost Luis but we will improve as a team, both in quality & depth. We just need someone who can come in when Sturridge is unavailable. A quality striker with loads of pace. I don't want a Benzema or a top named striker. I want someone who can play anywhere across the front 3, someone who will be happy being an understudy to someone who is already one of the top strikers in Europe.

I don't want any player who's happy to be an understudy. If we target someone who can play anywhere across the front 3, I hope his aim is to play anywhere at anytime and if he's good enough to push sturridge wide or out of the team, good for him and Liverpool, tough shit for sturridge and he'll have to step up his game. If we can find someone who's capable of being as good or better than sturridge, we should take it.
  • Upvote 3

That's why people get antsy at the start of the window. It's not because they're intellectually subnormal, or incapable of excercising patience. It's because there is a finite time and as time passes, our options narrow. As the options narrow, there is no real reason to think the club will do in 2 weeks, what it couldn't accomplish in 50.

It differs from your normal, regurgitated 'nobody is bigger than the club' unfunny nonsense and it's right.

Good for you, Kev.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I'm trying to list strikers who are better than Sturridge and can hardly think of many at all.

Not surprising. But I think the real challenge now is to find somebody as good as or preferably better than Remy rather than better than Sturridge.

That Origi guy looked promising in the WC

Lavezzi and Cavani to try and get them to recreate their Napoli form. Reus isnt happening. He will wait until next year and aim for one of the Spanish two.

None of this buying an understudy striker. If a striker doesnt like competition then he shouldnt be at the club. Same goes Sturridge.

Lavezzi and Cavani to try and get them to recreate their Napoli form. Reus isnt happening. He will wait until next year and aim for one of the Spanish two.

None of this buying an understudy striker. If a striker doesnt like competition then he shouldnt be at the club. Same goes Sturridge.

I am guessing one of the problems is if they sign a 100-150k a week attacking player they have to pay Sturridge more as well. So maybe this is part of the problem Sturridge is on around 70k last time I checked. Last I heard they were still negiotaing a contract for Sturridge. You would expect his agent is keeping a close eye on things.

Real Sociedad recently bought out Arsenal's first refusal clause and the player signed a new four year deal, according to the Spanish press they paid 12m Euros to have the clause taken out, so I'd imagine any fee would be double that.  He's turned into a quality player though.

Ta, mate.

He certainly was excellent last season, and pretty good the two before as well. Quick, skilful, good finisher, can play as a wide forward or a centre forward, would have been perfect.

I think Manquillo will be announced tonight before the game (judging by reports and how Lovren went down), Moreno maybe later in the week (if it actually is, as has been reported, all agreed).

Then it's all about a forward. I get why people are frustrated at the variance in style of the players we've been after, but I don't think we have to limit ourselves to a single profile of player.

When we had to let the Remy deal go we had a choice: either make a concession in quality and go to the next best with a similar style (Lacazette?); or make a concession in style and go for the next best in proven quality (Bony?). The key quality seems to be being a goalscorer here (which is why, as much as I want us to go for him, I can't see Lavezzi coming here) and Bony is certainly one of them, regardless of his strengths and weaknesses (which have been over-exaggerated in my opinion).

I want us to go for the best player we can, whether that's Benzema, Lavezzi, Shaqiri, FIrmino, Martinez... or if it comes to it (because they are available RIGHT NOW) the Bony's and Lacazette's.

Huge drop off in quality there, and while I agree we should have been chasing the former group early in the window, we may have been... but you can see why those other deals might not be on the table right now (Falcao, Di Maria, Bayern are convincing him to give them another year, Hoffenheim don't want to sell low but let him grow further in reputation, Porto charge a lot and don't seem to be their usual selling selves this summer...). So we need may need to revisit the second group to get a man through the door.

Surely Sanchez and Remy could be viewed as similar in position and profile.

Both are mid 20s with International and top flight experience and proven goal records and both can play as a pacey striker on their own or out wide.

If we get another player it's surely going to be someone with that profile seeing as they're the two deals we've not been able to conclude

Surely Sanchez and Remy could be viewed as similar in position and profile.

Both are mid 20s with International and top flight experience and proven goal records and both can play as a pacey striker on their own or out wide.

If we get another player it's surely going to be someone with that profile seeing as they're the two deals we've not been able to conclude

Im sure you arent implying that remy is anywhere near as good as sanched and if you meant shaquiri again you are far off. Remy is mid-table standard. The other two are top players

Im sure you arent implying that remy is anywhere near as good as sanched and if you meant shaquiri again you are far off. Remy is mid-table standard. The other two are top players

Sanchez is miles better than Remy.

Just meant they're both internationals, approaching their peak years and have scored goals in top flight football over multiple seasons

I'd rather have Sanchez obviously and I think if we could have gotten him in with the others we would be on for the league.

Shaqiri is someone who would be great for us as well, would be great if we could get him.

I don't get it. Our scouts this committee you got one fucking job, the common man, even my own mother knows we need a top quality forward and full backs. Full backs that are better than the ones we have, that's how you improve things you upgrade them its a simple logic really whats the shittest part and I shall improve it. I don't replace a rusty part with another rusty part and hope mr fucking sheen can make it look new.

I absolutely expect a comittee of people who are employed on a top wage to bring in players that improve our side, not one mistake or a maybe, if its my job to identify which wires are the live ones I don't fuck about I do my homework and put doubt to bed. We give these fucks too much leeway, its been too damn long too many fucked up transfer windows and bullshit PR to give them the benefit of the doubt, its one thing not being given money but its another to spend 100 million quid and retain the same weaknesses. I know the window isn't over I'm writing this because its posts like these that come back to haunt you when they sign some boss players. So on that note nobody at LFC can recognize good footballers or has the bollocks or ambition to sign top quality ones.

• Upvote 3

I'm starting to think we were led to believe Sanchez would come to Anfield when we sold Suarez to Barca. Remy wasn't lined up beforehand and we've been scratching around since that went tits up. Naive to say the least if Ayre has swallowed Barca bullshit.