You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Yeah, you've been proved right. He's been shit for the 100 mins or whatever he's played...................in pre season. Pre fucking season! You fucking whopper.

Did I say I was right and are you saying that Im wrong that we would be fucked if lambert was our only fit striker, my post was actually defending his poor performances as I have read a few writing him off already.

The English aren't bothered with brilliance anywhere near as much as they are with claiming the moral high ground. Being seen to be doing something well is more important than actually doing something well.

What the hell are you talking about?  Is this referring to football, sport, or life in general?

Yeah, you've been proved right. He's been shit for the 100 mins or whatever he's played...................in pre season. Pre fucking season! You fucking whopper.

He's been terrible so far, you can only call what you see. It's been 3-4 games now and he looks one paced, doesn't press and doesn't score any goals. He's always a yard or two away from where he needs to be when the final ball is played. When Allen scored, where was he? should of been in the box with Allen and Sterling right away.

Watching Balotelli yesterday reminded me of the school boy who's brilliant in everything he does, but just doesn't seem to get any friends.

With the head sorted Mario could be the best player in the world. Let BR and Peteres work their wonders, include him in the group, let him feel the love of the Kop. I'm all inn for this.

Guest davelfc

He's been terrible so far, you can only call what you see. It's been 3-4 games now and he looks one paced, doesn't press and doesn't score any goals. He's always a yard or two away from where he needs to be when the final ball is played. When Allen scored, where was he? should of been in the box with Allen and Sterling right away.

He's already much better than Aspas then. 

On the Balotelli thing, the reason he gets signed by clubs is because they think they can fix him. Maybe now Suarez has gone we need to keep the shrink busy.

What the hell are you talking about? Is this referring to football, sport, or life in general?

Sporting culture, there's a strange lack of curiosity about the process of becoming brilliant and with that, a lack of tolerance for the flaws that go hand in hand with such single minded dedication. We had the privilege of watching Suarez for 3 years and in not one interview did a journo ask him how he developed his unique skills. Same with adapting models of football from other countries, the media just throw out 'the German model' or 'the Spanish model' but there's no rigour or curiosity there about its inner workings. All lip service.

In cricket, rather than working with Pietersen psychologically, they just discarded him because it was the popular consensus.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a Lambert fan and have serious doubts and would rather we had looked elsewhere. But pre-season is about getting the players fitter and trying out a few things tactics wise. Different players peak fitnesswise and it tends to take the older ones see Gerrard and Johnson a bit more time. Henderson aside I would guess those on International duty are a bit behind fitnesswise.

He will prob underwhelm but it won't be due to what happens in pre-season. You would assume Rodgers knew he was not exactly Usain Bolt so I doubt his pace or lack of it in this case is not a problem.

• Upvote 1

bascombe was unequivocal when he said we ve no interest in mario.

I wouldn't be against the deal happening for the prices quoted as he is a good player and could play a few positions, after hearing Rodgers comments and knowing how smart he is with the media I think he is using it as a smokescreen.

He knew saying it around this time where we are being linked with shit loads of strikers that stories would come from his comments, maybe the cheap price is interesting us though.

I wouldn't be against the deal happening for the prices quoted as he is a good player and could play a few positions, after hearing Rodgers comments and knowing how smart he is with the media I think he is using it as a smokescreen.

He knew saying it around this time where we are being linked with shit loads of strikers that stories would come from his comments, maybe the cheap price is interesting us though.

or he was doing what smart managers did with suarez - shower him with compliments as opposed to making him angry and he rams it down your throat on the pitch.

take note hodgson you idiot.

• Upvote 1

Lambert did say himself he needs to come back earlier than most for pre-season training to get up to speed, and perhaps we're seeing that in motion. 

If he's a different option and our third choice striker, its a great move.  If he's our 2nd choice striker when the first choice can't be relied upon to stay free of niggling injuries, not so much. 

Considering the sums we've wasted in the recent past, it would be worth signing Ballotelli just so he can:

a. be the ex city player destined to infuriate and score against the mancs

b. be the ex city player destined to still be loved by and score against the other mancs.

Sorted.

or he was doing what smart managers did with suarez - shower him with compliments as opposed to making him angry and he rams it down your throat on the pitch.

take note hodgson you idiot.

He went in to detail about balotelli though talking about how he had watched him from a youth player and praising him, he knew stories would come from that when we are being linked with strikers and balotelli a move out of Milan.

I keep reading about what a player Balotelli would be if he wasn't mental. I personally think he'd be plying his trade at some mid table Italian club and most of us would not know who he is.

He stands out because he is mental and his actual ability is way over-stated.

Well on last seasons evidence and their squad Balotelli is playing for a mid-table team.

I keep reading about what a player Balotelli would be if he wasn't mental. I personally think he'd be plying his trade at some mid table Italian club and most of us would not know who he is.

He stands out because he is mental and his actual ability is way over-stated.

I did used to think along the same lines not long after he joined City, really didn't see what all the fuss was about, but last couple of years the games when he has played well he has showed what he is really capable of, seems to save his best performances for Italy though a lot of the time for some reason

Sporting culture, there's a strange lack of curiosity about the process of becoming brilliant and with that, a lack of tolerance for the flaws that go hand in hand with such single minded dedication. We had the privilege of watching Suarez for 3 years and in not one interview did a journo ask him how he developed his unique skills. Same with adapting models of football from other countries, the media just throw out 'the German model' or 'the Spanish model' but there's no rigour or curiosity there about its inner workings. All lip service.

In cricket, rather than working with Pietersen psychologically, they just discarded him because it was the popular consensus.

Ah,ok. I think it's a little unkind on football; certainly the practitioners show an interest in how football is managed and played abroad - though I think the footballing press in this country is generally acknowledged to be decades behind that of most European countries in terms of analysis and even understanding of the sport. There are precious few football writers who would be granted the space to write a serious piece on, say, the evolution of certain formations and comparison with how they're adopted abroad.

Cricket is about the old school superiority complex that still pervades the corridors of Lords and has an unhealthy influence on the selection committee and the team.

well Lovren and Lallana had only one good season, finished 8th... in ENGLAND... 

Lacazatte is class, Newcastle are interested in him too.

Lallana had two in a much better league...

Lovren has had plenty in France and then built on it here.

...and did you really just cite Newcastle as an example to follow? Fucking clueless... are you still angry they "beat us" to Marveaux...