You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Where's all this Jay Rodriguez shite coming from? He did his cruciate ligament in just a few months ago and isn't likely to be fully fit until the end of the year.

Oh come on now...we're not so arse screamingly stupid that we'd sign crocked players are we? *cough* Aquillani *cough* Carroll.

Independent claims we are back in for Jay (fucked for months with cruciate ligament injury) Rodriguez.

Fuck that right off.

In all seriousness, unless we get another forward in who can score goals we are going to be in the shit the moment Sturridge gets an injury.

Lambert and Borini to step up? Errrr....don't think so.

Honestly what the fuck are we doing this window, not one player we've signed improves our first 11 that started against city. Remy was the only one who looked like a smart, shrewd signing but hey that went tits up.

We had the best starting 11 last season, it was our bench that was fucked. 

He's an idea -  you sell a world class forward for 75m then you replace him with one or two world class talents. You don't fanny around with mediocre / shite players for the 10-15m mark.

Except that those players aren't available. Once Alexis Sanchez turned us down, there wasn't really anyone else that fit the billing. Marco Reus would have been nice but noone really believes he owuld move. On the other hand, you still need to increase the size of your squad.

He's an idea -  you sell a world class forward for 75m then you replace him with one or two world class talents. You don't fanny around with mediocre / shite players for the 10-15m mark.

Bingo.

Ive heard ''We dont buy world class players, we make them''. Twat off. 

We have to try and attempt to replace Suarez with a world class player. Chelsea came close to the title and the Champions league final, they have spent 20mil on a left back, 30mill on a centre mid and another 30+mill on a striker.

We have spent a good amount of money so far, but we need to sign a player that would walk into our first 11, now that suarez has gone.

Its our biggest spending transfer window. We have signed players worthy enough for the first team and we are not done yet.

Am I only one that sees these transfers in a positive light?

I have not got excited by any of our signings to be honest and I'd have said that if Suarez was still here. We'd have added a bench, which while might be needed, whats there to be excited about? There's not one signing we've made would be nailed on to start most games and we've not addressed our most glaring shit positions at full back. And I repeat, that's before we lost Suarez. So we have a better bench, some money in the bank and a worst first team.

Except that those players aren't available. Once Alexis Sanchez turned us down, there wasn't really anyone else that fit the billing. Marco Reus would have been nice but noone really expected him to move. On the other hand, you still need to increase the size of your squad.

That's true but at least then you go for the next level of player that is available.  The like of Griezmann, Shaqiri, Firmino.  None at the level of Reus/Sanchez but all younger with the potenial to make that step up.

• Upvote 1

I hate the word marquee signing , but its what we need it will give a badly needed huge lift before the season starts. Given that we got 75m for Suarez it would be criminal not to buy at least one world class forward with some of the money.

Independent as well.  Though no doubt all guess work due to our penchant to turn into Southampton of the North.

I'd love to be fully on board with all the glue sniffers who think we've done magnificent work in this transfer window but I just can't help but feel its all been monumentally fucking shit.

• Upvote 3

I'd love to be fully on board with all the glue sniffers who think we've done magnificent work in this transfer window but I just can't help but feel its all been monumentally fucking shit.

Normally the way when we get money and give a manager a new contract.  They all seem to shoot their load and go ape shit.

I'd be pretty happy with Origi and Shaqiri coming in with Lovren actually, but keeping Origi here as someone to emulate Sturridge in high paced games (like Remy). 

Shaqiri, Sterling, Markovic, Coutinho/ Lallana (whoever doesn't play midfield) to make up the two wingers. We will play on average with two games a week so need the depth available and Shaqiri would be a good option for flair, 'marquee' and rotation.

It's so close to being good that I can't help disputing the "monumentally shit" description.  Take Lallana back to Southampton for a refund, add £15m on top and roll over to Real Madrid and offer them £38m to take Isco off their hands and the window all of a sudden looks very good.

The problem is that one misguided signing makes the rest look bad. Lambert is a decent backup striker and for that price is a good signing. Can and Markovic are excellent signings and should they develop as expected could (will?) be world class in a couple of years. Lovren we overpaid but it's hardly the end of the world. But you add in Lallana for £23 million and factor in losing Suarez and it looks pretty bad all of a sudden.

It's so close to being good that I can't help disputing the "monumentally shit" description.  Take Lallana back to Southampton for a refund, add £15m on top and roll over to Real Madrid and offer them £38m to take Isco off their hands and the window all of a sudden looks very good.

The problem is that one misguided signing makes the rest look bad. Lambert is a decent backup striker and for that price is a good signing. Can and Markovic are excellent signings and should they develop as expected could (will?) be world class in a couple of years. Lovren we overpaid but it's hardly the end of the world. But you add in Lallana for £23 million and factor in losing Suarez and it looks pretty bad all of a sudden.

Can and Markovic are the two decent signings. The three players we've given Southampton £50m for...well.

*Tries to remain positive*

What? Lallana is a fantastic little player, can't wait to see him in action for us. Lovren is a good defender who adds something we lack, leadership and organisation at the back and lambert is a 4m punt on a player with a really good goal scoring record who would run through brick walls for the club.

• Upvote 3