You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

What happened to the old "we can attract top players even without CL, we're Yernited"

Swings and roundabouts I reckon; last years they had CL football but a new manager that no one outside the PL knew of, this season they have the big name manager but no European games to offer along with league a that is now almost 4/5 horse race.

The problem is that when any top player they want becomes available, there'll be someone else interested and they'll have CL football and probably offer a similar wage. 

Hopefully the beauty of this summer regarding United is that sure, you always stand a chance of enticing any player by hoying silly money (in relative terms) at them.

However, for them to do so sets a precedent which ensures existing and future players will all want parity while clapping mercenary eyes on the club from all directions, and the Glazers are tight as fuck, so presumably only see this summer war chest thing as a one off which will bring back the Ferguson days.

Could all be a far cry from Neville and co playing big brother with the selfless pep talks about how it's best to eschew agents and arrange terms via them and Taggart.

To be accurate, he was bought on the back of a bored Gerard houllier watching too many videos of French football in his sick bed.

It's not as if he was African footballer of the year for two years running, eh? He definitely wasn't a one tournament success. I think both of his awards came before the World Cup and we did sign him before Korea/Japan anyway. His stock had been rising for quite some time, and he most certainly wasn't a flavor of the month purchase.

Cant understand why anyone should be worried about Remy; I think he is a great signing.

Whenever we look to sign anyone I attempt to picture how he will fit in (usually to the 1st XI). In this case, I see us playing with one striker most of the time (Studge) in a 4-2-3-1 formation. But Daniel is prone to an injury and will require a rest now and again. Bring on a very similar, quick player to replace him - Remy. Lambert cannot replace Sturridge and will be used to change games (style) probably as an additional striker when we need a goal.

Cant be robbed for the money and I cannot think of a closer fit to our first choice.

And all for a transfer fee which is low risk.

And all for a transfer fee which is low risk.

I think Remy is an average player with a known shit attitude and we've just sold the best striker in the world for £75 million so we shouldn't be patting ourselves on the cock over making value for money signings.

• Upvote 2

I think Remy is an average player with a known shit attitude and we've just sold the best striker in the world for £75 million so we shouldn't be patting ourselves on the cock over making value for money signings.

If Remy were our only forward signing I'd be inclined to agree, but I think we'll see another 20 million-plus attacker come in before the end of the window so I'm not worried about it.

Worst case he flops, has a bad attitude about everything and demands out next summer.  If so, we just play Lambert as Sturridge's backup this season and then we can easily sell Remy for 10 million.  Best case, he comes here and plays a vital role in a title-winning season with his 10 league starts and 20 sub appearances adding up to 13 league goals.  Truth will probably be somewhere in between but even the worst case scenario isn't really that bad.

Who could we even think of to replace Suarez? Don't me wrong I'd love it if we could get Reus, Isco, or the like but even then I'd take Suarez over them, and for all we know we might still yet. Shit I'd have rather kept Suarez even if they offered us Messi plus £20m that's how much I rate the man, but it didn't work out that way.

Despite how any of us feel as fans, for players we aren't on the level of a Barcelona or a Real Madrid so until we are, and I do believe that we can be, for the most part we're just going to have to deal with these situations.

Then again I don't think anyone has suggested Remy is the replacement for Suarez. Either the whole of the players we've signed/will sign are, or there's someone big coming in.

It's not as if he was African footballer of the year for two years running, eh? He definitely wasn't a one tournament success. I think both of his awards came before the World Cup and we did sign him before Korea/Japan anyway. His stock had been rising for quite some time, and he most certainly wasn't a flavor of the month purchase.

If houllier had not got ill and spent months watching French video's, he wouldn't have signed him, he's said that himself.

People said the same for Sturridge, and he's had anything but.

• Upvote 1

If Remy were our only forward signing I'd be inclined to agree, but I think we'll see another 20 million-plus attacker come in before the end of the window so I'm not worried about it.

Worst case he flops, has a bad attitude about everything and demands out next summer.  If so, we just play Lambert as Sturridge's backup this season and then we can easily sell Remy for 10 million.  Best case, he comes here and plays a vital role in a title-winning season with his 10 league starts and 20 sub appearances adding up to 13 league goals.  Truth will probably be somewhere in between but even the worst case scenario isn't really that bad.

In what world do we easily sell anybody? If Remy had a poor season and/or a bad attitude, we'd more than likely find mid-table Premier League clubs looking to try and take him on loan for a year with us paying most of his wages. No bloody way would we shift him for £10m if he has a shite season.

He would be great and I've seen him linked with Spurs so presumably obtainable

He's turned down a new contract at Sociedad has a £25million release clause.  Tottenham have already had a £15million bid rejected so he's definitely available.

Greizmann is very good, but im not sure he's  that much of an upgrade on the options we already have there. I feel if we are going to sign another attacking midfielder/wide forward it's gotta be someone that is likely to have a huge impact. It's not like i wouldnt want him, but we've got shitloads of cash and CL football so i feel we could aim a little bit higher.

In what world do we easily sell anybody? If Remy had a poor season and/or a bad attitude, we'd more than likely find mid-table Premier League clubs looking to try and take him on loan for a year with us paying most of his wages. No bloody way would we shift him for £10m if he has a shite season.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, mate.

The only reason we're getting him for £8 million is because he has a clause in his contract that says he goes for that price if one of the top four bid for him.  Supposedly if he goes to a Europa League club it's £11 million and if a mid-table club (say Manchester United, for example) want him they would have to pay £15 million.  

I think we're just taking advantage of that strange contract; if Sunderland are willing to pay £14 million for Borini with his 4 non-penalty league goals, then we can easily get £10 million at a bare minimum for Remy (who scored 14 goals last season and is better than Borini) next summer.

• Upvote 3

Greizmann is very good, but im not sure he's  that much of an upgrade on the options we already have there. I feel if we are going to sign another attacking midfielder/wide forward it's gotta be someone that is likely to have a huge impact. It's not like i wouldnt want him, but we've got shitloads of cash and CL football so i feel we could aim a little bit higher.

Who are these other attacking midfielder/wide forwards that could make a huge impact though?  The only two I can think of are Sanchez and Reus.  We tried to get the former and the latter wont happen.

Why anybody would choose Spurs over us is a complete myth to me.  They'll finish 6th at best next year.

Hopefully, but I think Pochettino was brilliant at Southampton and showed himself to be a young manager of huge potential. Hopefully he'll be more of a Villas Boas than a Rodgers next season.