You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Sanchez and Khedira to start the window?

Arsenal are showing us how it's done.

All of our rivals are buying established, class players.

Costa

Luis

Fabregas

Sanchez

Khedira

That's a pretty fast march on us, not to mention United talking to Vidal and City will buy God knows who but they'll be good.

Arsenal pay more wages to players off the bat. We will pay big wages but only to players who've proved they're worth it at the club first. That's not gonna sit well with players who've already made a name for themselves elsewhere.

Got to hope that Rodgers is a miracle worker really cause we'll always be fighting against the odds.

• Upvote 1

Sanchez and Khedira to start the window?

Arsenal are showing us how it's done.

All of our rivals are buying established, class players.

Costa

Luis

Fabregas

Sanchez

Khedira

That's a pretty fast march on us, not to mention United talking to Vidal and City will buy God knows who but they'll be good.

My big concern this, I know the mantra, team game, don't need big names etc. Not convinced, we appear to be shopping for players at a tier below our rivals. I don't know if that's because we're not prepared to pay as much, aren't as big a draw or simply don't have the ambition?

My big concern this, I know the mantra, team game, don't need big names etc. Not convinced, we appear to be shopping for players at a tier below our rivals. I don't know if that's because we're not prepared to pay as much, aren't as big a draw or simply don't have the ambition?

Although I agree in principle, I can't help but feel the game has changed, with the best stars in the world all gravitating to the moneyed clubs. We can't compare ourselves with Chelsea and City, that just doesn't compute at all when it comes to lamenting our transfer tactics, they're dining at a completely different table and it's just hard shit.

Arsenal have made one marquee signing and one last year, and last year's was a huge disappointment, but by and large Wenger has been lambasted for doing exactly what people are bemoaning us doing now, trying to find the 'next big thing', sometimes he'd pull it off with spectacular results, other times he wouldn't. So we can't look at the fact he's made a top class signing (a signing we were prepared to make ourselves) and say it's Arsenal policy, because it flies in the face of Arsenal policy.

As for the mancs, it remains to be seen what they do, but thus far they've done exactly what we've done, paid over the odds for a promising English player. There's is much more of a gamble, IMO.

Big names require big wages.

Think of it this way, all things being equal, we could have been starting next season with Xabi Alonso, Steven Gerrard, Mascherano, Suarez and Torres. A finer Liverpool side (presuming Torres still had a soul) it's hard to imagine. Where are all but Gerrard now?

The future for everyone if you're not Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea or city, is to unearth a gem then hold on to them as long as you can before they inevitably gravitate to one of these cunts.

The only real alternative is to invest in youth, scouting, and build sides that are more than the sum of their parts. The same will be true for everyone, let's see how long it takes for the predators to move in and completely dismantle Atletico's squad.

The big boys don't just want your players, they want to neutralise you as a threat.

• Upvote 6

Quelle fucking surprise....

Don't know if i'm arsed though.

He wants to move to us.  gut feeling suggests that we if we are going to spend that sort of money on a full back he needs to be a lot better going forward,

Siquiera went to Atletico for 8 million.

Stop fucking about trying to get Sevilla to sell Moreno, and go after Wolfsburg's Rodriguez instead. I was asked by someone at work as to how come none of the big clubs have gone for him if he's as good as they say. None of the clubs throwing big money around actually need a left back at the moment and that might be why Rodriguez hasn't attracted serious interest (as of yet). Madrid already have Marcelo and Coentrao, Barcelona have Alba, Man City have Kolarov and Clichy, Chelsea have just signed Felipe Luis and already have both Azpilicueta and Bertrand who can fill that role, and Bayern have Alaba. The Italian clubs can't afford to pay big money for players. Man Utd have just signed Shaw and Arsenal have Gibbs, Monreal and Vermaelen to play there. Spurs have agreed a fee for Davies. As far as I can tell, only Atletico Madrid would definitely still be looking for a left back but whether they'd be willing to spend so much on a player is doubtful.

EDIT: If Atletico have indeed gone for Siquera, then that just leaves us.

wow, must be a first time we have trebled our money on a non regular player

I'll believe that when I see the bank balance.

We've probably agreed another 12 month loan deal with us paying 50% of his wages, then Stoke have agreed to pay us 7 million of he wins them the league or scores 45 goals. In which case the deal is nullified and they get him for free in a years time.

Still we might get 7 million, so that's all that matters.

God I'm becomming a right miserable cunt. Think I'll have a whiskey to knock the edge off.

Get of Ayres back. Ex presidents wife Nancy Regan would not let her husband employ or meet anyone until Nancy herself had the blessing from a team of fortune tellers, psychics, sages, astrologers, raving nut jobs . Her B movie star husband Ronnie became president of the United States. Who's to say Ian Ayre dosent follow the same mantra?.

Stop fucking about trying to get Sevilla to sell Moreno, and go after Wolfsburg's Rodriguez instead. I was asked by someone at work as to how come none of the big clubs have gone for him if he's as good as they say. None of the clubs throwing big money around actually need a left back at the moment and that might be why Rodriguez hasn't attracted serious interest (as of yet). Madrid already have Marcelo and Coentrao, Barcelona have Alba, Man City have Kolarov and Clichy, Chelsea have just signed Felipe Luis and already have both Azpilicueta and Bertrand who can fill that role, and Bayern have Alaba. The Italian clubs can't afford to pay big money for players. Man Utd have just signed Shaw and Arsenal have Gibbs, Monreal and Vermaelen to play there. Spurs have agreed a fee for Davies. As far as I can tell, only Atletico Madrid would definitely still be looking for a left back but whether they'd be willing to spend so much on a player is doubtful.

Not for much longer if Ayre is back in town....

http://sportmagazine.knack.be/sport/voetbal-internationaal/zakaria-bakkali-is-op-weg-naar-liverpool/article-normal-265693.html

8 million euros for Bakkali, the 17 year old. He looks really talented.

I presume he will replace Assaidi, our north african in the squad.

Nearly a year ago, is that Belgium suddenly discovered a new football talent with Zakaria Bakkali. So did the attacker PSV on 10 August including a hat-trick against NEC Nijmegen, the youngest player ever in the Premier League.

Coach Marc Wilmots was immediately charmed and convinced Bakkali to the Belgian national team to choose. Above the Moroccan His official debut for the Red Devils followed on 15 August by a raid turn against Wales in the last World Cup qualifier.

Then it went downhill with the young Liège. In early February Bakkali disappeared completely from view. Two months later, he was allowed to join another twelve minutes against Heerenveen.

B-core

The dribble phenomenon gathered just 24 minutes of play in the first PSV in 2014. This also has to do with the fact that the player has run a contract until 2015 but was not inclined to extend.

That prevarication put PSV led to the B-team to send today where he still trains with PSV. Bakkali The straw that broke the camel was a substitute in a friendly match in South Korea on May 26 because of a failed tactical mission.

"Typically, the clubs a player making a product, here it is the family who does that," said a broker with access to the file in Sports / Soccer Magazine.

Liverpool

For Bakkali the choice is clear: bite marks or leave. "He says he's leaving," says an Intimus. Valencia, Liverpool and Tottenham have already made it clear that they want the player.

Of those three is Liverpool in pole position. They would be willing to pay that has been set for the sale. Eight million After Simon Mignolet and (presumably) Divock Origi would mean that a third Belgian to the Reds, but so far it is not.

When it comes to a transition, it is likely that Bakkali is like Origi lent in the first year. Standard would have been informed, even several times. "There has been contact with the Liege club but would prefer Zakaria evolve in the Netherlands itself," says the same source.

How is this sudden decline be explained? "It's all gone a bit fast for him."

Arsenal pay more wages to players off the bat. We will pay big wages but only to players who've proved they're worth it at the club first. That's not gonna sit well with players who've already made a name for themselves elsewhere.

Got to hope that Rodgers is a miracle worker really cause we'll always be fighting against the odds.

Without wanting to stir a hornets nest... City are trying to shift their daft wage bill into a lower wage + bigger bonuses scheme. At least one top name player has signed a deal on this structure.... could that be a way forward for Liverpool?

If these players want 200K a week, fine.... keep us in the top 4 and you'll get it. Meanwhile, you'll take 100K )insert your own figures!). At least this way, you're testing the faith of the player too.

In reality, it's probably more like a player wanting 200 a week, but you'll have to offer 100 basic but 250 if you win things. If he delivers what he says he will, AND he has the faith in you he says he has, he'll take that gamble. And if he doesn't? then maybe he's not got that much faith after all.

I do think more and more clubs will end up going down this path. It's nothing new, I know, but the bonus system seems to have been neglected in recent years. Players wanting guaranteed wealth, but not offering guaranteed effort.

There was a piece in the Echo a while back saying that LFC had looked at Rodriguez but were put off by the fact it would take close to £30 million to get him out of Wolfsburg (a cash rich club who don't need to sell). He would be great but we are not going to spend 20 million on a lb nevermind close to 30.