You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Wish we could buy Reus, anything between £25-40m is a fair price for him, he's a classy player with pace. He's better than Sanchez, Shaqiri, Bony or anyone else were linked with. Reus and Sterling either side of Sturridge is a title winning frontline for me, it offers a different prospect than with Suarez in it. All 3 have skill, pace and power and are all interchangeable.

Please sign someone good to replace him. He doesn't have to be as good as Suarez but at least be better than fucking Bony. Jeez, I feel depressed about Luis going.

I was calm about Suarez going as I thought with the money we could build a good team, the supposed targets have made his departure a lot worse for me though.

Spurs signings last season where better on paper and frankly Id prefer us to stick with what we have rather then spending 20m on average shit like bony.

Youd think we would be looking for someone who plays a bit like Suarez, a technical dribbler but we are going for a shit target man when we just signed lambert who plays the same role.

Bony had a trial at lfc a few years ago when I doubt he would have cost more then a mil, the scouts had some decent targets last summer but this time its gone to shit.

The fact the club never seemed all that desperate to get Sanchez in the deal as well as us obviously being prepared for him to go to the Arsenal indicates we probably have our sights set on someone else. I just hope that man is Shaqiri and he's not pissed off that we were flirting with the Chilean.

Fifth place. Maybe sixth.

Yeah that wouldn't be good enough, but surely the club realise this? We have to be in CL next year given the extra BT money.

I find it difficult to believe we can't attract a few top flight players? The danger this summer to state the obvious is to end up with a much stronger squad but substantially weaker first team.

Yeah that wouldn't be good enough, but surely the club realise this? We have to be in CL next year given the extra BT money.

I find it difficult to believe we can't attract a few top flight players? The danger this summer to state the obvious is to end up with a much stronger squad but substantially weaker first team.

There's no need to spend money just cos it's arriving... who knows who might be available in Jan? or at least with the new signings that have been made, you'll have a better picture of what's working and what isn't by January. 

There's definitely some sense in holding back some of the cash until then.

• Upvote 3

I'd rather have Markovic than Shaqiri. I don't think I've seen Shaqiri use his right foot. Think we'll only sign Bony if Borini goes too. I like Bony, scored against some good sides last season but he doesn't seem like a Rodgers type player so I'm not sure there's anything in it. 

There's no need to spend money just cos it's arriving... who knows who might be available in Jan? or at least with the new signings that have been made, you'll have a better picture of what's working and what isn't by January.

Bang on, if we cant get top quality which looks to be the case or clubs are trying to bend is over fuck them off like we have done the last two summers.

Through all the criticism the club was getting through that period I was giving those involved praise as they where finally giving lfc a reputation in the transfer market of being hard negotiators.

That is how we would be successful in the long run as in the future we would be getting players for good fees and having no repeats of the Carroll transfer.

Now it looks like the club is going back to the days when they find a target and just go all out for him and pay over the odds, if it was on world class players I could live with it but most of the time Its on unproven ones.

Edited by JermainePennant

Waiting to buy in the Jan window is probably the most stupid strategy. Prices are high, your season could be a disaster and everyone will see you coming.

Pay the extra 5 (or whatever) million now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Moreno needs to be bought, whatever the fee is, we need a left back desperately. We also need a left sided forward desperately, someone like a Griezmann and a good quality sub goalkeeper like Ochoa...beyond that we can make do.

Waiting to buy in the Jan window is probably the most stupid strategy. Prices are high, your season could be a disaster and everyone will see you coming.

Pay the extra 5 (or whatever) million now.

But when you're bringing in a lot of player, how do you know what's going to work and what isn't? 

You're splashing out everything in one fell swoop, then you're left with no room for adjustment later.

It's the big bang approach. Bit risky. 

It's true that January's not renowned for fantastic buys, but Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge were bought in that window, as was Mascherano. Hardly poor buys.

Do you think right after a world cup, and the world knowing you've 75m in your pocket makes for a better window? I'm not sure.

I'm not saying everything should be done in Jan!, I'm just saying there's no need to blow the lot in one go, and that holding some money back might be wise - since you'll know more about what's working and what isn't come January.

• Upvote 2

I didnt think it would upset me, but as others have said, im upset because of the targets we are being linked to. I am normally quite supportive as we plebs dont know what is going on behind the scenes, but today I feel like having a little cry. 

There is nothing wrong with having a little cry.

Join me TLW. Let us all cry, together.

• Upvote 2

People talking about not knowing a replacement for Suarez or not sounding out top name strikers about coming in is daft in the extreme.

The club must have known 12 months ago this was on the cards, i thought it was then, so im sure Ayre Rodgers and Co must have thought it as well.

The club have had plenty of time to get strikers onside, they now have a shedload of cash to spend on bringing that player in and the wages to satisfy them.

If we dont replace Suarez adequately and we miss out on champions league next year, you can forget about having the money in the bank, the players you want wont want to come.

Utd City Arsenal Chelsea are all strengthening their sides with top players we must do the same otherwise last season may be a blip instead of the start of a great future.

Moreno needs to be bought, whatever the fee is, we need a left back desperately. We also need a left sided forward desperately, someone like a Griezmann and a good quality sub goalkeeper like Ochoa...beyond that we can make do.

Agreed if you add a CB to that list

I doubt we will keep a goalkeeper who's on 90k a week on the bench. Reina has played his last game for the club

I'm all for selling him, but he's been shopped around for a while and nobody's biting. We'll have to eat a significant part of his wages sold or loaned, unhappily.

If we buy Bony, he would just be an option, not a replacement for Suarez. Suarez goes a Suarez comes. Players come players go. It's life. And life goes on.

Stop the wailing everyone; nobody is bigger than the club and we're in good hands with Rodgers. I'm sure this team will do the right thing for Liverpool. Have faith and chill everybody.

• Upvote 1

If we buy Bony, he would just be an option, not a replacement for Suarez. Suarez goes a Suarez comes. Players come players go. It's life. And life goes on.

Stop the wailing everyone; nobody is bigger than the club and we're in good hands with Rodgers. I'm sure this team will do the right thing for Liverpool. Have faith and chill everybody.

Agree.

• Upvote 1